• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

recommended android phone under or near 300$ and still gives you freedom like root?

Sento

Jan 19, 2011
I've been a nexus fanboy, had the nexus 4 and now the 5x - but honestly the call quality was terrible on the n4 and i was hoping the 5x would be better since its newer, but it's just as bad if not worse, especially on FI - fi was very excited when i had 25$ phone bills, but it's so embrassing to make important calls and have people constnatly say "i'm sorry could you repeat that? can't hear you clearly" - (and i got full bars where I live)

I was thinking of going galaxy S6 but it seems they have some complications with root now on 6.01, and samsung has really locked them down in a sense with their knox tamper system.

Even the pixel seems to have issues with getting and keeping root...

I'm thinking about giving the one plus 3T a try, it's more than what i want to spend, but i hear its well specced for the price and the build and call quality are flagship level. ALso it seems they are no longer doing their crappy invite system (why did they have that?)

Otherwise is there anything else you can recommend near or under 300$?

requirements:

5" or bigger (would love 5.5" or 5.7" with 1440p, but i may be dreaming :p)
gorilla glass
can be put in fast boot and have bootloader unlocked and twrp + root flashed without too much hassle
good call quality
2gb or more ram
aluminum if possible!

Yeah my friend has a nexus 6 and he complains about call quality too - i think moto g4 plus is going to be my next stop

under 300

64 gb with 4gb ram

5.5" 1080 screen with gorilla glass

good call quality

fully compatible with pretty much all the gsm networks

has official CM support and isn't too complicated to unlock the boot loader

i'd say this is easily the best phone under 300$ right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bg260
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones