Recommended Case for HTC EVO V?Tips

Last Updated:

1. Bruce_Wayne

Bruce_Wayne Member

I recently purchased an HTC EVO V and decided to invest in a few small upgrades such as an extended battery and a 32GB microSDHC class-10 card. Im wondering if anyone might have some recommended cases they use? If it can handle spelunking we should be good..;)

(just a regular case, not extended battery)

Advertisement
  2. coco3133

coco3133 Well-Known Member

What kind of case?
    Extended battery case
    Or
    A regular case without extended battery
    Bruce_Wayne likes this.
  3. Bruce_Wayne

Bruce_Wayne Member

Just a regular case, ill only be using the extended battery for long trips.
  4. coco3133

coco3133 Well-Known Member

I use this for when I'm at school and traveling places because it does protect your phone good, dropped it 2 times from 6 feet onto concrete in one day and only had a little scratch on plastic :) OtterBox HTC EVO 3D Defender Series Case - 1 Pack - Case - Retail Packaging - Black
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057UAMQA/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

I use this one for around the house because if I drop it, it lands on carpet and good to go. And it has a nice kickstand that I use a lot.
    Seidio SURFACE Case with Kickstand for HTC EVO 3D - 1 Pack - Case - Retail Packaging - Black
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EEO4OA/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

Hope I helped
    Bruce_Wayne likes this.
  5. jmatherly411

jmatherly411 Well-Known Member

Welcome Bruce_Wayne to Androidforums now after saying that if your looking for a case that is rugged and not bulky I would go with the Ballistic SG case, I have it for my EVO V and my phone still looks brand new to this day. The design of it keeps the screen from ever touching a surface unless you intend to put the phone in your pocket. The case comes in two pieces a silcon with rugged corners for shock protection if you drop it and then a polycarbonate shell. The phones feels very good in the hand when this case is installed and have never taken it off since I've owned the case.

Hope this helps
    Bruce_Wayne likes this.
  6. rs98

rs98 Well-Known Member

I bought an HTC made case the day I bought my phone from Radio Shack... I think it was about three dollars. It gets the job done and was a great price on clearance. I can't seem to find it online...
    Bruce_Wayne likes this.
  7. Ranhead

Ranhead Well-Known Member

Hey Bruce!!! You'll be glad you decided to get the HTC EVO V. I went with the cheapo eBay TPU case. It's cheap and thin, which is what I was looking for.:D
    Bruce_Wayne likes this.
  8. N00bsauce

N00bsauce Member

Bruce_Wayne likes this.
  9. SuperAfnan

SuperAfnan Well-Known Member Contributor

I went with this for a while and it is nice. :) Makes gripping the phone easier leading to a less likely chance for a drop.

Amazon.com: eForCity Hybrid Case for HTC EVO 3D, Black TPU / White Plastic: Cell Phones & Accessories

I switched to this one and it is also pretty great for the price. Makes the phone rugged like a cheap otterbox.

I think you also should throw in a cheap screen protector since some have prevented the screen from cracking. It also gives off a matte finish rather than a glossy one. :D

Amazon.com: eForCity Clear LCD Screen Protector Guards with Lint-free Cleaning Cloth for HTC EVO 3D, 4-Pack Combo: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Bruce_Wayne likes this.
  10. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

I use the Seidio Active Combo. It provides decent protection without adding bulk but most importantly it's thin enough that my phone still fits in the dock without having to remove it. :D
    Bruce_Wayne likes this.
  11. Also looking for a case, wondering if you all could help me out.

I want a solid case, with a clip and perhaps kickstand.
    I was looking at Otterbox (Defender) and Ballistic (seido also showed up in my searches.

I'm looking for general protection, especially while working out (which is what i would use the clip for as well.

Basically max protection with minimum bulk. Ballistic or Otterbox or Seido significantly better than another? (Yes, i know there's a thread on this, but wasn't very conclusive.)

Do all of them come with a screen protector or will i need to get that separate? Will it mess up the 3D?
  12. MtnDew31693

MtnDew31693 Well-Known Member

I've got the hardcore ballistic case and absolutely love it. Its stayed on my phone since I got it and my phone looks brand spanking new. I'm kicked it across parking lots, dropped it off a roof, who knows what else. It's not a waterproof case, but it kept the water out long enough for me to rescue it after I dropped it in a pool.

It comes with a screen protector, kick stand, and a belt clip. I use the belt clip every day and I've never had a problem. It is pretty bulky, but you can take the outer rubber layer off if you want a much smaller profile.

Edit:Mine doesn't mess up 3d at all
    CharlieTango92 likes this.
  13. ever messed with an Otterbox?

from what i understand, the Defender model is a bit bulkier than Ballistic?
    any disadvantages to taking off outer rubber layer?
    how's the ballistic feel to the hand? I've held friends' iPhones (groce :p) with otterbox, doesn't feel too bad..
  14. MtnDew31693

I've never seen an otter box on this phone so I don't know much about it. The only disadvantage to taking off the outer rubber layer is you lose some of your "squishy" protection. The inner hard case is more than capable of protecting the phone, but if you drop it you won't have that extra layer of "squish." The other minor detail is that without the outer rubber layer it doesn't fit as snug in the holster/belt clip. It still fits but it doesn't feel as secure. I normally just stick it in my pocket if I take the outer layer off. As far as feel goes, I love it. Feels really good in your hand and has a nice heavy feel to it which I like.

Edit:
    I did do some comparison between the ballistic and the otter box before I bought my case, and most of the reviews I read gave the edge to ballistic. The reason for my initial purchase.
  15. this post is what i was referencing earlier. Seems mixed reviews between the Defender and B. HC. some say one's more bulky, other's say vice versa.

i'm leaning towards the B. HC though.
  16. MtnDew31693

In all honesty, I chose the ballistic because I thought it looked cooler. They both got good reviews and would have functioned fine but I liked the look of the ballistic better.
  17. phatboyslim12

phatboyslim12 Well-Known Member

hey, so i recently got the evo v 4g, and i love the phone. anyway i have had 2 cases for it so far, the otterbox commuter and defender case. if you want a nice stylish and thin case the commuter is a good choice, unfortunatly if you want a 100% form fitting case, this may not be for you, this case is a little oversized on the top of the phone that doesnt protect as well in my opinion, the defender on the other hand is a superior product, super durable, and looks good on the phone, but its a bit bulky. my defender did not come with the holster but it is supposed to have a kickstand which is convienient, this case includes a built in screen protector, that can be slightly anoying at times, but it is easily removed to ad your own non matte protector
  18. V3n0m90

V3n0m90 Well-Known Member

I got the CaseMate tough.

I was originally going to get the OtterBox defender. but after reading some posts about it, decided not to. Plus the CaseMate covers pretty much all of the camera up so that it doesn't get damaged. Should have it today actually :)
  19. remanifest

remanifest Well-Known Member

I have an Otterbox Defender, and it works great. I don't mind the extra bulk, because I have tile floors in my house, and a baby. It has been dropped a few times, with no marks on the case or the phone. It's very secure - I paid $18.40 or something on eBay.