Recommended SD Card?

Last Updated:

1. lantern0506

lantern0506 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey folks,

Just got my NC today and, dummy me, forgot to get an sd card. So I have a few of questions so I make sure that I'm getting the right thing:

1. Is there a significant, noticeably difference between a Class 6 and Class 10 micro sd? Specifically, I am looking at 32GB cards, and I can definitely tell a price difference.

2. If I root the NC, is the 32GB really necessary? I do not intend to put music/movies on my NC, but lots of books, photos, comics, etc. isn't out of the realm of possibility.

3. Is there a specific card that is recommended over the others? I've searched Newegg and Amazon and it looks like the Patriot and Wintech both have bad reviews. The Kingstons are nice, but I would like to know that the Class 10 and 32GB is really necessary before I drop $90.

Thanks a bunch all!

Advertisement
  2. lantern0506

Ok, so a little surprised at no responses.

I know you folks have some idea...

3. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Unless you're dual booting (custom rom on your external sd card/stock rom on your Nook), I wouldn't worry about getting a class 10 unless you don't mind the expense.

4. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

1. There is a difference between speed classes, but you probably won't be able to really tell the difference. Both class 6 and class 10 will seem slow compared to internal memory. Class 4 performance is unacceptably slow. If you really plan on running off the uSD card for a long period of time, then I'd probably go class 10.

2. 32GB with no music and/or video is like buying a tractor trailer for your daily commute. You can install thousands of books in like 2GB of space, so I can confidently say you'll be covered for a while. Photos can take up a decent amoung of space, but even ~8000 12megapixel images can be stored on 8GB. Personally, I'd go either 8GB or 16GB. Cost increases exponentially for 32GB, so start small and see if you need it.

3. I personally buy the cheapest memory card I can find that is still somewhat brand name. Spending close to $100 on a $250 item doesn't make sense to me. I bought a 16GB Class 10 card for under $30 from Amazon. 32GB cards were just way too expensive to be justified.

lantern0506 likes this.
  5. lantern0506

Thanks for he info guys.

From what I've seen, I won't be booting from SD if I root and install Phiremod. Assuming I understand everything. I'm a converted Apple fanboy so I'm still learning all the droid terms.

Thanks again.

6. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

You are correct. Phiremod installs to internal memory.

Trust us, it's worth it.

7. 1JOD

1JOD Active Member

Well since were talking sd cards...........

What is the max read speed yall get? I am using a class 10 patriot and I a, getting about 11mb/s write and 23mb/s read. I herd people getting up to 60mb/s on there phone by tweaking some of the settings. I am using sd tools to test the speed. Here are the links.
    Increase Your SD Card Read Speeds By 100-200% With A Simple Tweak [Hands-On, Benchmarks] | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

Increase The Reading Speed Of Your SD Card | xda-developers

colchiro likes this.
  8. colchiro

9. colchiro