1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

General Record

1. rlphbgby

rlphbgby Well-Known Member

I was on a phone call and hit setting button and I seen record. So I hit it then hit stop recording. It said saved to handset. Where is the file located at?
    Q: does this record the phone call?
    :if yes does it record both sides?

Advertisement
    mooreapi likes this.
  2. Brian706

Brian706 Moderator Moderator

First off, welcome to Android Forums! :)

To answer your question (kind of) i don't think it recorded the phone call... I can't tell you where the file was saved but it's illegal to record a phone conversation without consent of the other person. It can't be possible that a phone would build in an illegal feature because they would get sued. Hopefully someone with your device can tell you what that option is for and where to find the file!
  3. yaggermr

yaggermr Active Member

It is not illegal to record a phone call
  4. Brian706

Well yes and no. I was under the impression that it was illegal (it is in my state) but apparently only twelve states require both parties permission. The other states are governed by federal law which states that only one party in the conversation has to give consent.

The device could have built in call recording, it's just hard for me to believe they would include that as a feature when it has such a potential to be used illegally. I have tried a call recording app before but even it had a disclaimer that told the other person you were going to record the conversation... I would think people need to cover their butts!!

mooreapi likes this.
  5. rlphbgby

While I was messing around with Handcent SMS to pick a music ring tone for a number in my contacts and there it was it named it as (call1010145929.amr) and yes its both ends of the phone call (you can hear it very well) but I still dont know where on the phone is the file located? Oh yeah and no disclaimer I asked my GF did she hear anything on her end and she said no.
    Brian706 likes this.
  6. Brian706

Thanks for sharing! I haven't heard of this being a phone feature before.

Do you have any file explorer from the app store installed on your phone? That you can browse your sd card with such as androzip or es file explorer...

On my phone it usually saves odd things like that directly on the sd card. But it could be in an audio folder or something similar on your sd card.
  7. QingWu

QingWu Well-Known Member

I will check with our development team and let you know where is the folder to store it.

Thanks.
    rlphbgby likes this.
  8. rlphbgby

Thanks for looking into it.
  9. yaggermr

yaggermr Active Member

If storage is set to phone it saves the file to /voice or if you have set the phone to store to sd like me its saves the records to sd/voice.
    If you don't know where you store stuff this is the menu layout setting >storage>save location (at top of menu page). I advise storing to sd card to save internal memory for apps by default pics and download store to internal memory.
    mooreapi and rlphbgby like this.
  10. rlphbgby

thanks for the tip I changed it to sd now I have a voice folder and the recorded calls go in there thanks.
  11. mooreapi

mooreapi Active Member

Kind of an old thread...but I just decided to fool around with the record feature.

Thanks yaggermr for the tip on changing the storage location and what folder those files were in.

Thanks to rlphbgby for finding this little hidden gem. It's surprising what you discover by playing around with our toys :-D

I tested it (talking with my wife who gave consent ;-) ). works good, and you can hear both sides. Will also pop up on your "recently added" playlist in the media player, in a folder called "Record"...but it does not show up in any of the folders for the "Sound Record" app that came pre-installed on the phone.

Thanks to Brian706 for reminding people that they need to know the legalities of recording conversations...in your location as well as the location of the other parties.

Brian, I was able to find the file using my pc, as it shows both the phone storage and SD card storage when I connect it over USB in media-device mode.

This could be a useful app to those who might be receiving threatening or harassing phone calls. Also a useful tool for doing phone interviews

I've been working for 15 years as a Private Investigator, so I was familiar with the one/two/all parties consent rules about recording voice/audio communications, as well as "reasonable expectation of privacy" rules and laws over when/where/how video/film/photos can and can't be taken...

CYA peoples!!! Ignorance is no defense in a criminal trial....and that's where you'd end up if you somehow got caught.

Matt
    LilBit and Brian706 like this.