Recorded scam calls?

Last Updated:

1. johnny_w

johnny_w Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have just started getting recorded scam calls on my Droid.
    My number is listed on the national do not call list.
    Is there a chance this "people" are getting my number via an app?
    Thanks
    Johnny_w
    :confused:

Advertisement
  2. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

I suppose there is some possibility of an app giving out your number, but I would think that more people would know about it. You can see in each app what "process" it has access to on your phone, you might be able to narrow it that way.

Also, grab a Google Voice number and start blocking those numbers!!!

3. johnny_w

Oh I've already called Verizon and had the numbers blocked. I have a call into Verizon's fraud dept. I've also filed a complaint with the FCC for each number that has called me. The problem or concern is the numbers that have yet to call me!
    I've had this number for over 5 years and this has never happened. I just wonder why now.

Federal Communications Commission regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers.

4. Bigdaddy2009

Bigdaddy2009 Well-Known Member

Yes it is because of an app. i never get any calls from them, i just started recently getting some after downloading apps from Market.

5. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

What apps are you using that access your phone number? Personally I haven't had any scam calls since I've got my Droid (just switched to Verizon and Droid in January, but have had this number for 3 years), but then again I don't download a lot of apps.

EDIT: I'll take that back. I have had a scam attempt. Well not a phone call, but one of those things where my bank "supposedly" texted me about some problems with my account. They then give me a number that I'm supposed to call and straighten things out (at which point I would be asked for my account number I assume). I'm supposed to believe my bank will text me from some random number and won't even say my name in the text, instead of just calling me? Wachovia doesn't even have my cell number anyways >.<

6. johnny_w

I just did a random check, 9 out of 10 apps on my droid lists "read phone state and identity" as a permission. I'd check them all but I have 177 apps loaded. JoyBuzz reads my phone state and identity! Do I think JoyBuzz is selling my number? No. But could any app be harvesting numbers? Sure, why not.
    It is illegal to make recorded sales calls to a cell phone and my cell has been on the "do not call" list for 2 years. But I'm not sure I'd call any of the calls I've gotten sales calls. They were scams pure ans simple. I'm waiting for one to ask me to enter all my credit card numbers and they'll tell me if one is lucky!

7. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Weird, I haven't had any trouble but I don't have a gazillion uneeded apps. Also don't trust that national do not call list, I have put my house number on it 3 times and I still get telemarketers ALL DAY.

8. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

My solution for this was Cox's "selective call acceptance" feature.

It blocks all numbers except for those the subscriber enters into the system. I have maybe 12 numbers entered and I know that when my home phone rings it's actually someone I want to talk to.

The only negative is that you have to edit the list via the phone rather than a web interface.

9. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

The thing with the "do not call" list is that while it might stop some telemarketers from calling, it just gives others more numbers to dial. A lot of places just don't care, they'll buy the list to get numbers to call. There's so many ways to circumvent the law regarding the list and the government really doesn't enforce it anyway. Then you have all the outsourced phone farms that can just ignore all of it to begin with because the US gov't can't do anything to them.

While I wouldn't put it past some of these app developers to collect numbers and sell them for profits, I also wouldn't completely dismiss it being from the do not call list. I never registered any of my numbers on the list, and have not received any telemarketing calls. With it just happening all of a sudden, it could just mean someone just happened to recently buy a list that had your number on it, and have nothing to do with the market.

10. johnny_w

"Weird, I haven't had any trouble but I don't have a gazillion uneeded apps."
    Uneeded apps? I need JoyBuzz so when my 13 year old nephew does something dumb or annoying I can give him instant feedback! I'm surprised I haven't blown my speaker yet!
    Seriously, what apps are "needed"? Isn't the droid all about apps? If I didn't want crazy, uneeded apps I'd still have my Blackberry 7250. I just got tired of turning that little crank and asking Mable to connect me to murray hill 2500.
    If an app is mining numbers how would we know? If it's not an app, does anybody have any idea why I would suddenly be on the scam me list?

11. CRPercodani

So you use all 177 apps you have on a regular basis? I don't have anything against anyone who has a boatload of apps, that is what they are there for. And everyone is gonna have a different idea of what apps are needed, we don't use our phones the same. The Droid isn't all about apps, that is the iPhone/Apple's thing. Yes Android has a really good Market but when I got my G1 we didn't have nearly as many and Android was still awesome. But if you suspect the problem is coming from a app why not uninstall all the ones you don't need. Really it doesn't matter at this point because they already got your number, so besides blocking them or changing your number nothing is gonna help.

If it isn't a app leaking your number then I would imagine the other guy got it right saying some sleazy telemarketing company got your number off the DNC list.

12. johnny_w

Of course I don't use all 177 apps on a regular basis. I was being facetious when referring to my use of JoyBuzz. And I guess I should apologize to JoyBuzz, I by no means intend to soil the fine names or reputations of the makers of this excellent, useful app. Isn't the entire concept of a open system that people can make crazy apps? Don't we revel in our open market that isn't closely controlled by our Apple overlords?
    My number has been listed on the do not call list for more than 2 years. I doubt that was my leak.
    Yes, my number is now "out there" and yes, I'm screwed. I guess the point of my post was to help people avoid my fate. But since I can't think of a way to narrow the list of suspects I can't really help, can !?

13. CRPercodani

The only thing I can think of is to go through all your apps and list the ones that have access to the phone, I wouldn't worry about any of the well known apps or ones with high ratings. Then others who have the same problem can compare them to what apps they have.

14. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

Correction. I just got a scam call from nevada at 2:40. My first one I believe.

15. johnny_w

Well, I'm sorry to hear that.
    Any ideas on why now?

16. Bigdaddy2009

Handcent does
    Google maps does
    Pandora does
    Swype does
    and Where does that i have in my list. all have phone read and read contacts and calls

17. CRPercodani

I can guarantee none of those apps would be stealing your phone number. Swype would be the ONLY one I would second guess, but even that is highly unlikely.

18. Bigdaddy2009

one of them is cuz they say you are eligable because of your recent purchase. i have purchased anything in a while other than gas and grocieries besides those apps. and they have the last 4 of my CC # only. lol i have had a few other apps that i deleted and all the calls seemed to have stopped

19. johnny_w

Interesting, none of the calls I've received had any personal information. But, I've never put any credit card info into my phone. I already had a google account with Cc info and honestly I was afraid it would be too easy to hack.
    I've been through identity theft, believe me, it ain't fun. Ever since I've been a little on the paranoid side with personal info.