Recording calls on Galaxy S4Support

Last Updated:

1. kiddkasper

kiddkasper New Member

I've been able to record phone calls on other Android devices that I've had. Some apps seem to work better with different devices.

The app I was using to record phone calls apparently doesn't work with the S4. I've tried several of the apps listed in Google Play, but none of them seem to work. Some make a recording entry. But the length of those recordings is 0:00. Because it's happening with a couple different apps, I'm thinking there's an option that needs to be changed on the device. But I'll be darned if I can find it (if it exists at all).

So what I'm looking for is an app that I can record incoming and outgoing phone calls that does NOT require the call to be put on speaker.

2. olbriar

olbriar Moderator Moderator

Hi kiddkasper. I'm sure there are apps out there that will do what you are wanting but AF is not that supportive of them. The problem with recording apps is the laws vary from state to state as to the legality and proper procedures for recording phone calls. You might want to check with your state's laws on such before you proceed.
  3. rkkeller

rkkeller Well-Known Member

The S4 will only record both sides of the conversation with the apps if you use speakerphone. If you use them without, you will only get your side of the conversation.

It could be fixed with some updates but I tried tons of them and thats how they work with the S4.

This app used to allow recording of both sides while using the phone normally but with the S4, it only works on speakerphone so many a fix is coming.
  4. rkkeller

5. crabman

crabman Well-Known Member

The smart guys already have it beat if you are the type that fiddles with your phone. Not sure if I'm supposed to link to another forum here but it can be found easily enough over on XDA.
  6. N1vag

N1vag Well-Known Member

I use Galaxy Call Recorder. It works perfectly. I'm not rooted and it records both sides of the conversion and you can even send the resulting file unlike some recorders I've tried. It's free but it does have annoying ads but you can pay to remove them although it's very expensive.
  7. rkkeller

I have tried that app and it only recorded my side.

What settings are you using? I left them at the default.
  8. N1vag

N1vag Well-Known Member

rkkeller, I used the default settings to begin with and they worked fine. I've changed them a little now and it still works fine. I've only changed the file format and location though.
    Make sure the source is 'voice uplink + downlink' that setting works fine for me.
  9. dcovnton

dcovnton New Member

10. dcovnton

dcovnton New Member

I have confirmed your diagnosis, and it is correct. I think that with the laws of recording a call without consent is not allowed (in most states) - the cell providers are making the phones a bit diffrent, and that we will have to create a many of updates to work around this issue. If you find one that works in open-source let me know. I dont believe in paying for apps to work on Android devices, otherwise I would have bought a Windows Cell phone?