1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Recover deleted photo?Support

1. OTM

OTM New Member

So my wife deleted a picture of our kids by accident. I've been all over the internet looking for a solution, but all the ones I've found involve downloading a program to your computer, then hooking your phone up via Mass USB Storage which our beloved manufacturer in conjunction with our even more beloved service provider, in their infinite wisdom, removed from the latest version of Android. Is there either:

• An app based solution that allows you to recover photos using only the phone, without involving a PC at all
    • A way to enable Mass Storage on the phone so that the PC will recognize the phone and recover the photos?

Thanks for the help, sorry for being a n00b.

Advertisement
    :
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Welcome to the forums! :)

Sorry for the trouble. :(

There's only one app that I know of for that. It requires that your phone be rooted and it only _might_ work.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fahrbot.apps.undelete

The problem you have comes from Google and your phone maker, carrier not involved.

You have an extended storage phone, so you have a slice of your built-in storage masquerading as an sd card. That's why apps work with it, the Android way has always been to have an sd card available. If you also have an actual sd card, that's the only one you can access as usb storage, as you've discovered.

The Android way, per Google, of dealing with your "internal" sd card is to only access it using the media transport protocol, MTP, a Microsoft standard that allows two things to connect at once, your phone and a pc, unlike usb storage.

And because two things connect at once, control gets messy and so does running separate tools.

I'm in the same boat with my extended storage phone, but it's a different model, so I can only suggest things in general terms.

When you connect, you ought to have another option, mine is called media sync, but I know Samsung has similar. With that, and a later version of Windows, your internal user storage will appear in your pc file explorer. Not sure, but you may be able to find Windows undelete tools that can manage it at that point, but they have to work with MTP, that's your search keyword.

Or, visit our root subforum here, root your phone following the guides posted there, and give that app a try. There's no guarantees on that, sorry.

And the more you use your storage, the lower your odds of recovery.

This won't help now, but maybe consider Dropbox to automatically sync your photos to their cloud and from there to your pc.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

PS - don't sweat being new, we all were at some point here. :)
  3. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

I know it's not a solution to your problem per se, but you should double check and see if you have Google+ instant upload on. If you do, then no worries, your photo is safely stored via the Google+ cloud. If you don't, then I would suggest turning it on. Or as EM suggested, sync your dropbox, or even set your photos to auto upload to picasa. Picasa and Gooogle+ both come with your gmail account. If nothing else, having one of these sync options on will save you future headaches and lost photos.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  4. Madroxide

Madroxide Well-Known Member

5. felicitewalker

felicitewalker New Member

Android is not like windows when you delete something on Android. Its gone for ever not a trash can or recycle bin, but there is way using the thumb nails. But way lower resolution look for the application you used like (qic/gallery) but that app had to be installed when you had that pic. So look in that folder and see can you find thumbnails and find the picture remember lower quality. If you can find good luck.
  6. CodeV

CodeV New Member

I'm having the same problem with an HTC One X. I always thought some recovery tool could rescue my phone, but without memory on a SD card, it seems this is harder than I ever knew. Looks like they REALLY want us to pay for cloud services! The phone went into a reboot spiral and the only thing that worked was a hard reset. I know the photos are mostly still there and I'm being careful not to do anything that would over write them. I just can't find a way to recover them from the phone. I have tried apps on the phone. USB connection to a PC. A WiFi connection to a PC. So far, nothing I tried allowed low enough level access to the files to recover them. This thread is almost two years old, has there been any improvement for recovery of photos and data on these phones? Thanks to any wizard willing to enlighten another n00b.
  7. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Welcome to the forums!

The answer is yes and no.

No, nothing you can do with your One X, sorry.

Yes, you can try one of the apps that came out fairly recently to help in the future - search the Play Store for: recycle bin - and see if any are compatible with your One X.

Unfortunately, any photos you've lost already are really lost.

It's pants, I know, but there it is.
    CodeV likes this.