• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help recover pictures/videos from internal memory

gcole

Lurker
Apr 18, 2012
So my wife's thrill has been running super slow over the last month or so. She uninstalled a bunch of apps, deleted a bunch of stuff and it was still lagy. So she decided to do a factory reset on it. I had her install astro file manager and check to make sure her pictures were saved under /mnt/sdcard/dcim - which I assumed was the SD card. The photos and videos were there and she proceeded to do a reset - and of course now everything is gone. We didn't realize that /mnt/sdcard wasn't actually the sd card, but the phones internal memory on the Thrill :mad:. Is there any way to recover these deleted files? Connect the phone to a computer as mass storage and scan the internal sd drive with a recovery tool? Or are these gone forever?

For those interested, the files were indeed deleted with the factory reset since they were saved on the phones memory, not the actual sd card. However, I installed Recuva, hooked the phone up to the computer as mass storage and scanned the internal drive. Doing a quick scan it found about 5 of the files. Then I did a deep scan and it found most, if not all of the pictures, videos and music files that she had on the phone. Most of the pictures showed up 5 or 6 times, so we have almost 10,000 files to sort through. But from our skimming through them it looks like we saved at least 75%, and possibly all of the files.

Reactions: barrettjet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones