1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Recovering data on a MicroSD card, "blank card or unsupported files"Support

1. jimbobjoylove

jimbobjoylove Member

In a panic at the mo. Had my new S4 in my pocket as per the norm, pulled it out after no knocks at all to find the notification message "Blank SD card. SD card is blank or has unsupported files".

It's the photos and videos I'm worried about losing; yes the lesson is backup, backup, and backup but am hoping the SD card isn't actually blank. Have put it in my wife's Desire HD to see if that recognizes the files but no luck, that says it's blank too. Have done some hunting around forums and suggestions of buying a pc sd card reader, but as I'm in town tomorrow think I might just take it to the local computer shop and see if they can retrieve the files and buy a new SD card. There are videos and photos there that are terribly important... any other tips to recover?

Have attached the phone to the laptop to see if I can see inside the DCIM folder but with no luck.

Have had the Sandisk card for about 2 years, never had issues before though it did get put in the washing machine inside an old HTC Sensation about 3 months ago, but luckily worked in the new S4. I'm an idiot for not backing up on dropbox etc...

Advertisement
    :
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Connect the card to a computer. (Spend the $3 if you need an adapter.) Download PhotoRec - CGSecurity

If anyone charged $100 for this program, they'd get buyers, but it's free. If the files still exist on the card, this program will find them.

Assuming the card's partitions got messed up as well, download Test Disk (same site, also free). It can recover deleted partitions. Then you recover deleted files on those partitions with PhotoRec.

Your only problems are 1) The card is actually bad and there's no way to recover anything from it. (San Disk will usually replace the card, but that's only small consolation.) or 2) The files got overwritten and you'll only be able to recover parts of the files.

Oh, BTW, you have to burn PhotoRec to a CD and boot the computer with the CD. Then you have to be VERY patient. Did I mention that it will recover EVERY recoverable file on the card? That takes a very long time. Set it running, go to sleep, wake up, go to work ... and hope it's done by the time you get home.
    robsilfish likes this.