Recovering pictures off a cracked screen phone?Support

Last Updated:

1. ingdirect

ingdirect New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

A bit of bad luck - I dropped my Incredible the other day and the screen cracked and is now completely black. Luckily Verizon will replace it for me under insurance (after paying my deductible). However before I send back the old phone I want to get my old pictures and texts off it. Is that possible?

The phone itself is working (lower soft keys light up, I can feel haptic feedback, etc). NOTHING appears on the screen however. When I plug my USB cable in, I get a sound on my PC indicating a USB device is plugged in, but since I can't see the phone screen, I can't mount the device via the notifications menu. Any ideas?!? Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. cortecds

cortecds Well-Known Member

you should be able to plug it into your computer and still retrieve all photos, etc.
    photos are in DCIM folder. Check both drives, onboard memory and SD card.
    But you should take out SD card before you send it in.

3. ingdirect

ingdirect New Member This Topic's Starter

I tried that, but I need the phone screen to be confirm the mounting of the internal drive, otherwise my PC doesn't show the device as a USB disk I can scan through.

4. contagous

contagous Well-Known Member

Just guess where to press when you plug it in, the sd card mount option is abut half way down the screen, and then the ok button is bottom middle, if you get it right your phone will be mounted and you can access the sd card etc...

if you get it wrong, keep trying, you cant get it wrong that many times surely lol

5. cortecds

cortecds Well-Known Member

Use a mac, or borrow a friends. My mac just opens the SD card even if I don't confirm it on the phone. May not be typical.

6. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

That's about the only option left although it depends on whether your screen is "accepting" touch input in that area or at all for that matter. After reading several threads like this, I'd have half a mind to make "disk drive" the default connection type if I didn't save all my pics to the SD card.