Recovering stolen phone?Support

Last Updated:

1. La Cosa Nostra

La Cosa Nostra Member This Topic's Starter

So im new with VW and i need to figure out if i can recover my cell phone.

Are they able to locate it with the GPS function?

I didnt download any software or apps specifically for locating cell phone.

My cell died the night it was stolen and i called it today and it rang so the person had to of charged it and is most likely using it.

Im thinking about seeing what numbers the person has called and try to use them to recover the phone. Either having the police contact them and ask who is their friend that called them from my number or me calling and pretending to be the police officer investigating the stolen phone.

Any suggestions?!?!?

Advertisement
  2. Piercing Heavens

Piercing Heavens Well-Known Member

It's gone. Cancel the service on that number so you don't get charged for any calls he makes.

3. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy Well-Known Member

It's probably gone, but call customer service and see if they can access the phone's location. If they can't help, file a police report. Considering the value of the phone, this was grand larceny.

4. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

They can kill the phone remotely im certain because of the ESN.
    Definitely go to Verizon and tell them asap. Who knows, they might be able to track them with the GPS..

5. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

VW will not track a stolen phone. Go online and see the numbers your phone has ben calling. Try calling a couple of the numbers and ask who called from that number. Then call the police and let them know what you found out. Next time download mobile defense.

6. Mahalo

Mahalo Well-Known Member

True that! Awesome app.

7. n_i_x

n_i_x Member

Next time pay the $6/mo for insurance and use mobile defense, wave secure, or one of the many other apps to do this.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

8. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Where's My Droid is my choice :D

9. potterdood

potterdood Well-Known Member

How is Lookout? I use it and am happy with it, but should I switch to 1 of these other 1's named?

10. seVer

seVer Well-Known Member

on VZW, you have to have a special feature in order to call to an international number.

definitely agree with everybody about calling to suspend the line. You can also do it online thru My Verizon, or over the phone if you call 611 or 800-922-0204 (listen for the options).

Also, to agree with most, VZW will not track the phone for you. There are rare circumstances where GPS or cell-site coordinates are used for tracking a device, and they usually require a law enforcement reasons... not a lost or stolen phone.

11. Locoman

Locoman Well-Known Member

I just installed Mobile Defense and seems to work pretty good. It located my phone, and I was able to lock it and unlock it. I also sent an alert to my phone with a pin # and a loud alarm came on on my phone then I entered the pin to shut it off, pretty cool! You can even send a message with the alert like "You @%#*&%(@!, you stole my phone" LOL.

12. whiskeyguy

I have a friend who had lookout installed on his Moto Droid. His phone was stolen, but still being used. He tracked it to a restaurant, went in and sat down. He called it, heard it ring, and watched a guy pull it out of his pocket, look at the number, and then silence it.

He called the police, and when they showed up approached the guy and confronted him. Didn't have to cancel his number, and the bad guy was caught.

13. contagous

contagous Well-Known Member

epic !!!

14. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Right on man. That would have to fell pretty good. Guess I better get something implemented on mine just in case....

15. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

What would you guys say is the best remote security app? I made a thread a while back but no one really could answer.

16. upther

upther Well-Known Member

I use Lookout but haven't had any real opportunity to use it. I've tracked it before and the GPS locates it pretty damn close. Like an idiot I made it alarm and it wouldn't stop. Had to pull the battery.

The only problem with Lookout and apps like it is if the person who stole/found it turns off the GPS, you're out of luck.

17. contagous

contagous Well-Known Member

lol thats true, i wonder if there is an app to password protect the gps on/off feature of something :) could be cool idea

18. whiskeyguy

Yeah that would suck. I simply hope that anyone smart enough to know that much about a phone is smart enough to earn a living and buy their own.

I use Lookout and it seems to work great, although I've never tried any of the other ones. I've tried the location feature a few times, and it gets pretty close.

19. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

People, lets not make rude comments and certainly no replies to them, flaming etc. The two posts in question were deleted.

Next time, infractions will be given.

Play nice.

TS

20. rabernet

rabernet Well-Known Member

App Lock ;)

21. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

While snagging the chump who stole our phone might sound pretty cool and even fun, I think we are all missing one of the better parts of CDMA phones...No SIM card!

Yeah paying deductibles sucks, but you can render that stolen phone into a paperweight by simply deactivating it and reporting it stolen. Anyone who would steal a CDMA phone is a real chuckle-head!

EDIT: Well let me amend that to its cool that someone who stole it can't just change a SIM card...SIM's are pretty cool at times as well! :)

22. sxshep

sxshep Well-Known Member

:) x2... I did the same thing, at like 3am and woke up my roommate on accident... that alarm is super annoying

23. Reddog80p

Reddog80p Well-Known Member

Call and cancel. You could get lucky and contact one of the ppl the thief is calling just tell them that you know the person that called you stole the phone and if they turn it in to any verizon you will not press charges. It's just a scare tactic. Most likely the person will sell or just dump the phone if they are worried but you may get lucky.

24. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

what I meant by "they will track it" is if you report it they will deactivate it and if anyone goes into the store to activate it they will know it is stolen based on the ESN. Im not sure what they do in that case, but at least you know they wont activate it for anyone.

25. alison03

alison03 Well-Known Member

Been reading various reviews but it's hard to decide. Lookout vs. Mobile Defense?

is anti-virus super necessary?