• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Recovery and Wiping Data, not all internal SD contents removed?

qwerty100

Sep 14, 2009
So If I select wipe data/factory reset, not all of my internal SD data is removed, When connected to the PC, there remains all sorts of bits/directories that relate to old (unused..) apps and data.

I see there is also a format internal sd card data partition, however I assume this is a subset of the factory reset operation?

Is there a way to remove ALL the data on the internal SD card, to a completely factory clean state, and only then apply GAOSP updates etc.

Though clearly you cant wipe all data, as this would also include the update zips??

Any thoughts?

The thing you see as "internal SD card" when you connect your phone to your PC is not the same as the thing that gets wiped. Galaxy's internal memory is 8GB, out of which ~1GB is the internal memory that gets wiped when you install GAOSP/Galax0, and ~7GB is the "internal SD card" that you see as mass storage. You can wipe the internal SD simply by plugging your phone into a PC and deleting all files and folders if you want to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones