• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Recovery]Clockworkmod 5.0.2.8 For HTC Design 4G & HeroS (aka Kingdom)

2fast4u88

Android Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2011
Clockworkmod 5.0.2.8 For HTC Design 4G & HeroS

attachment.php
attachment.php

Warning you need to be unlock! If you have a issue please post, with out posting it will take me longer to figure it out.You've been warned!

Want to post this elsewhere or doesn't support your phone?
Do not re-upload elsewhere, I pay for hosting for a reason. So if you want to post elsewhere, post the original link as credit.
Then for the download links use mine or just use the link to this thread.
If your phone isn't supported, post or pm me.

Features Includes the Following:
Synced to the latest gingerbread source (5.0.2.
Removed all the no prompts that I found annoying (Now only have one)
Switched yes and no around (No more pushing the volume to key to get to yes. Already selected so be careful)
Right now I only built larger text versions. I will change the below if people want regular text ones.
Patched in ics branch roboto text (Right now only way for the larger text. Don't like the style? I don't really either but easier on my eyes)
Possibly speed up installs/backups/restores on higher class cards.

How To Install:
Refer to thread below for downloads:
(Easier for me to update downloads in one link)
[Recovery]Clockworkmod 5.0.2.8 For HTC Design 4G & HeroS (aka Kingdom)

Once downloaded remove text before ph44img.zip, Place zip on sdcard. Reboot to h-boot using reboot options,
adb reboot oem-42 or a battery pull volume down+power. When prompted to update use volume key for yes then when do press power.
Once rebooted remove the ph44img.zip, then check out recovery.

Thanks to the Testers:
Grad/Cookiefrog

Credits:
Koush for Working on Cwm to make it what it is
CyanogenMod Team

Changelog:
7/11/12 Fixed Off-Charging issue booting recovery, along with should have fixed booting to recovery hanging.
6/20/12 Rebuild to fix menu selections.
6/15/12 Initial build (Issues with menu selections)​

I don't recommend doing the above link, how ever that is my opinion. I thought I had updated your guys cwm to the lastest ota I know of. Where I didn't, so please download again using the same link to see if the issue is fixed now.

If not I will need your firmware version number or you may need to fix the misc image if you did something with the above link.

Upvote 0
Note: Bootloader is unlocked.

I'm having trouble getting CWM onto my Boost HTC Evo Design 4g.

I just replaced my Boost HTC Evo Design because the one I'd had for a month started randomly flickering the screen and running lines across it horizontally, like an old VHS player on pause. It had not suffered any physical damage, no drops or anything.

Anyway, I had that phone easily rooted and with CWM on it, smooth sailing. So when the screen started acting up I took it back to the boost store and got a replacement.

With the replacement, I immediately preformed the HTC Software Update released on July 5th, 2012. So now my phone's software number is:

When I was trying to install this most recent CWM (5.0.2.8) off the micro sd via the volume down + power I was getting the same notification as mentioned above, "main version is older! update fail!"

So I amended the android.info file mainver to:

Re-zipped the folder and tried again. This time it all seems to work. However, then when I reboot with the volume down + power (after clearing the zip file off the micro sd card and removing the battery) I select "Recovery." It shows the two green circle arrows over the phone for a few moments and then shows that damn red triangle with the exclamation point.

I've tried different micro sd cards and even different/older versions of CWM. Nothing seems to work. I tried attempting to flash this onto the phone via ADB. However, that wasn't working for me either, (probably because I wasn't doing it correctly).

Is anyone else having these problems? Is there something I'm doing incorrectly. I had no problem the first time around a month ago doing this on the first HTC Evo Design 4G phone. But this time I can't get anything to work. I can't get the oneclick root installs to work, not the supertoolv3 thing, nothing. I was able to open the bootloader, very easily. But since then, I've made no progess.

I'm on Hboot 1.30 which I think most of us are on and I'm "S-ON". But I don't think we need to be "S-OFF" to install CWM or root the phone. I don't think I was "S-OFF" on the old rooted and CWM installed phone.

I'd love some insight if anyone has any. I'm wondering if the July 5th, 2012 update messed all this up, because it was all so easy when I did it a month ago on the prior same model phone.

Sorry for going so long here, just trying to paint the whole picture. And if this was not the right place to post this, sorry!

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Htc unlock allows flashing a recovery, your issue is due to what you changed and possibly your old misc image. The boost latest ota I know if is 1.10.653.3, how ever you are saying yours is 1.11.653.0 which is higher and one I haven't seen. At first I thought it was a typo with the 11 not being a 10. But there was never a 1.10.653.0 build it started at .2.

So if this is a new ota, can you upload the backups somewhere so I can see if lag is reduced? Also to fix your issue you did the right thing but I wouldn't have used that high of a firmware version. You can try the above link to write the lower number to the misc image.

If you still can't get no where, the only other choice is to fastboot the recovery. Which you need to have the latest sdk, where fastboot should be in platform tools. You need to yank the battery, boot to h-boot. Then use power to select fastboot, plugging the phone in. The cd the platform tools directory. Place the recovery.img from either downloaded above zips into your platform directory.

Then run the following below code:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Upvote 0
You're an absolute genius!!! Thank you!!

Running through a command prompt (cmd) with the recovery image file in the same folder as the fastboot worked perfectly. I'd had the recovery image in that folder but kept typing the wrong command; I believe I'd been typing "mount" or some such nonsense.

I'd love to upload backups of the new ota 1.11.653.0. However, I'm not sure if I know how. After the update and all my failures to get cwm or root installed, I did a couple "factory reset(s)", hoping that would revert me to an earlier version than 1.11.653.0. It didn't, just wiped all my data and my download of the new ota update file. But maybe you don't mean that file, but something different, if so just let me know and I'll do what I can.

While I don't think I have the ota update file, I did look at HTC's website in regard to this update. It's not too helpful and doesn't have the update available for download, it does help to confirm that the 1.11.653.0 is the most recent update for Boost Mobile Evo Design 4g phones, as of July 5th.

HTC EVO

I had been wondering about this issue about how other people keep citing builds that start as 2. something. I was under the impression that these are the Sprint Evo Design 4G phones and the Boost ones are currently on the 1. series of build numbers.

I'm sure other Boost Mobile customers with this phone have been seeing this ota update, hopefully some of them can provide more insight on it.

Thanks again!:D

Reactions: ironmask
Upvote 0
I assume the ones here doesn't know about the ota, as if using a custom rom I doubt you get the ota anymore. It has been said that if unlocked it breaks ota's but hadn't on the hero last I knew.

Do a clockworkmod backup and the folder it makes on your card, Upload it somewhere. Or since I don't need your data, leave it out and upload the rest.

Reactions: ironmask
Upvote 0
How to I get back my regular recovery from my htc evo design boost my cwm isn't working says: e:can't mount/cache/ recovery/log
e:can't open/cache/recovery/log
e:can't mount/cache/recovery/last_log
e:can't open/cache/recovery/last_log
It won't let me retore anything back and hboot fails I used fast boot too and it fails.. my ohone wont work at all. Any hep would be appreciated.

my firmware is 1.11.653.0 and it isn't even taking anythinsg on hboot says fail-U?

Upvote 0
I am confused on what your issue is. Unlocking will in no way affect charging to any extent. Neither will using the linked recovery files here. The only affect recovery will have on charging is when off, but as I said the linked versions doesn't have the issue. If it isn't charging in the os then it is the rom you are using or something else that has happened.

Upvote 0
I flashed it, with no errors, coming from AOSensePvg3, and now I can't boot into recovery. I've tried reboot menu, adb reboot oem-42, adb reboot recovery, fastboot reboot recovery, and selecting from hboot menu... any ideas of how I could just restore from the nandroid backup I saved before this?

What did you have before? As the only thing that works is my cwm's, where between 2.7 and 2.8 there was changes to text size, faster restores/backups and fixed off charging. I have never had a issue with any of the commands you listed. As it is what I mainly use to go to recovery when testing. How ever you never said what the commands are even doing.

You can try to run the reboot recovery command on a reboot and see what happens. If it still doesn't work go to hboot and select recovery. Though I am confused by your issue as I recall seeing your post in the aospsense rom thread saying you updated to his newest where you can't run the commands. Yet here you posted you flashed this and can't.

So if you flashed his beta or what ever it may be that caused the issues. It isn't my fault and nor do I know what may have happened. How ever flashing a rom shouldn't touch the recovery partition. If you just updated the recovery and can't boot to it via hboot. Reinstall it and if still no go then use my tool to fastboot it. That or run the commands yourself.

Edit: Nevermind as for selecting from h-boot as I missed that part. Also this command adb reboot oem-42 last I recalled doesn't go to recovery but h-boot.

Upvote 0
Htc unlock allows flashing a recovery, your issue is due to what you changed and possibly your old misc image. The boost latest ota I know if is 1.10.653.3, how ever you are saying yours is 1.11.653.0 which is higher and one I haven't seen. At first I thought it was a typo with the 11 not being a 10. But there was never a 1.10.653.0 build it started at .2.

So if this is a new ota, can you upload the backups somewhere so I can see if lag is reduced? Also to fix your issue you did the right thing but I wouldn't have used that high of a firmware version. You can try the above link to write the lower number to the misc image.

If you still can't get no where, the only other choice is to fastboot the recovery. Which you need to have the latest sdk, where fastboot should be in platform tools. You need to yank the battery, boot to h-boot. Then use power to select fastboot, plugging the phone in. The cd the platform tools directory. Place the recovery.img from either downloaded above zips into your platform directory.

Then run the following below code:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Hoping for some help.
Been through maybe 8 forums and easily 500 posts, but my CWM install is is still not getting any love. Noticed that 2fast4u88 has been at the end of many folk's challenges, so I am posting here for convenience, and in the hope that my problem is either interesting (or dumb) enough to warrant a response.

Unlocked phone, but none of the approaches at flashing CWM have worked. Got into some "version older" and CID issues, and tried different -info files through the boot loader, but eventually went to SDK and 'fastboot flash..." which now hands with a < waiting for device > message.

So am I missing something basic, or is the Sprint image with "security on" really that impossible to get past? Is this where my problem lies?

Thanks in advance for the patience with the noob, and I appreciate any thoughts or direction.

PH44100
Sprint
Android: 4.0.3
Software version: 3.14.651.0 71ORD
HTC Sense: 3.6

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones