1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Recovery / last rites for phone with broken screenSupport

Last Updated:

1. street spirit

street spirit New Member This Topic's Starter

I (or one of my friends) must have dropped my S2 last night. At first I thought the OS or video driver had crashed, because there were weird lines on the display, so I rebooted it by taking out and re-inserting the battery. Then it became apparent that the screen was physically damaged: there are scratches on the glass, and I can't see anything below the upper third of the display. The phone is also not responding to touch input in that area. As far as I can tell, the rest of the phone is still working.

I've come to depend on this device more than I had realized, so I've ordered a replacement which I'm going to pick up first thing on Monday. What I need to do now is make one last sync/backup with Kies, and then wipe the data before I send it in for repairs (I hope it can be repaired). The problem is that I don't know how to do these things when I can't use most of the phone's display. Right now, I can't even get past the screen where I'm supposed to enter the PIN for my SIM card.

TIA for any helpful advice!

(EDIT: I've also set an unlock pattern. This will probably get in the way when I try to sync, backkup, or wipe the data)

Advertisement
  2. street spirit

anybody?

3. naith_kk

naith_kk Well-Known Member

Havent encountered a drop and salvage yet... but after searching on your issue on the forums... there was this reply with a similar problem on a HTC handset:

... and from what I see, that does logically seem to be the only thing you can really do... considering the restrictions you have with your phone.

Do practise with your replacement phone - to have a scheduled backup plan every weekend... with backup specific apps like Titanium Backup.

4. street spirit

Actually, there is a way to wipe the data off the device without ever looking at the screen:

1. boot into recovery mode by pressing VolUp+Power+Home
    2. hold the buttons for about 10-15 seconds
    3. release the buttons
    4. press VolDown twice
    5. press Home
    6. press VolDown 7 times
    7. press Home
    8. wait a little (long enough for a wipe/reset)
    9. reboot (or replace battery)

I can't be sure if it really worked, because I still can't see anything, and connecting the device via USB still doesn't work (maybe more than the display was broken?), but after the second reboot I heard the power-on jingle. I had previously disabled this sound, so I take that as an indication that the factory reset / wipe was successful. I'll know more when I get it back from the local Samsung service partner.

For the record, here are the recovery menu screens I was navigating blindly:

Code (Text):
    1. Android system recovery <3e>
    3. Enter: OK Key, Select : Vol UP / Vol Down
    4. > reboot system now       [I](ed: this is initially highlighted)[/I]
    5. > apply update from sdcard
    6. > wipe data/factory reset
    7. > wipe cache partition
    down, down, home gets you to the confirmation screen:

Code (Text):
    1. Android system recovery <3e>
    3. Confirm wipe of all user data?
    4.   THIS CAN NOT BE UNDONE.
    6. > No          [I](ed: initial selection)[/I]
    7. > No
    8. > No
    9. > No
    10. > No
    11. > No
    12. > No
    13. > Yes -- delete all user data
    14. > No
    15. > No
    16. > No
    7x down, home, and hope for the best.

Maybe this information is useful for some other unlucky S2 owner in the future.

5. Metsecman

Metsecman New Member

No need to lose or your data. Look up How-to-Geek remote control android on google. I did and was able to see my broken android's screen perfectly on the pc monitor.

6. 1981

1981 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    These 9steps u mentioned, to do the wipe. Is it equal to doing a factory reset? All the settings back to the default? And all info on phone erased? Thank you.