1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

Recovery Reflash Question

Last Updated:

1. wjdunn3

wjdunn3 Member

What does the "Wipe Cache Partition" menu option do?

Advertisement
  2. mgraham

mgraham Active Member

Good question wjdunn, I'd like to know this as well. When I read your post, I googled the heck out of it, but never came up with a satisfactory answer.

What does it mean to wipe the cache partition and why would one do this? I see instructions in several guides that tell people to do this, but never anything about why.
  3. execute_method

execute_method Active Member

It looks like the cache partition is used for OTA, but I'm not sure what else might be cached there.
  4. lgldrgdlr

lgldrgdlr Well-Known Member

Apologies slug.

The only thing that I know of is that it's used when flashing roms. Wiping the cache partition will help remove any remnants of other roms, apps, etc alllowing you yo do a clean install of another rom.
  5. wjdunn3

wjdunn3 Member

Thanks.... I know it wipes/clears the "cache" but I was looking for a deeper explanation of what the cache was and what effect does wiping it have on the phone. I guess it is similar to a browser cache.

I have seen a "Dalvik Cahche" referenced in some of the moto forums and on XDA...was wondering if this was the same thing.