• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Recovery][Root]Pantech Breakout Root & CWM Recovery All in One

Cannot go back to Stock image

I got my pantech breakout in June 2012 and promptly installed CHM and rooted it following the instructions in this thread. All was good. Verizon is now pushing an update to my phone and the CHM (I think) is causing it to fail every time. I assume that if I un-root and put the stock image back, I can run the Verizon update & then reapply CHM & root the phone again.
When running the RecoveryAIO.bat it will not copy the recovery.img to the phone. I’m using Windows 7, 64 bit PC and RecoveryAIO.bat successfully copies the cwmrecovery.img file with no problem. I will go through the exact same steps preparing the system and then choose “2: Stock Recovery” instead of “1”. The batch file will stop at “sending ‘recovery’ (6144 KB)…” and never gets any further. So I am not sure where I am failing. I do have the drivers installed, as evidenced by the fact that I can send the CWMrecovery. Here is my process
1) on the phone, USB debugging enabled
2) connect phone to PC via USB, select USB mass storage
3) run RecoveryAIO.bat
4) choose 2
the text I see in the RecoverAIO.bat window are as follows

Installing Recovery
Press any key to continue …
<waiting for device>
Sending &#8216;recovery&#8217; (6144 KB)&#8230;

At this point it does not continue. I have waited 2 hours just for fun, but it never gets past this point. I end up physically pulling the battery out of the phone, replacing it after 30 seconds, power up the phone and try again. When I select the CWMrecovery, I see this in the RecoverAIO.bat window

Installing Recovery
Press any key to continue &#8230;
<waiting for device>
Sending &#8216;recovery&#8217; (4908 KB)&#8230;
OKAY [ 1.232s]
Writing &#8216;recovery&#8217; &#8230;
OKAY [ 0.842s]
Finished. Total time: 2.075s
Finished!!!
Press any key to continue &#8230;

I wonder if it is because the larger size of the stock image? My phone has 320MB available on the SD card and 35MB available on the internal storage. I would think that is sufficient and should not be the issue.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance anyone could provide.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Can you still boot into CWM with the directions of this thread? if so try this link and re flash the stock ROM found here.http://androidforums.com/breakout-a...om-stock-pre-update-pantech-breakout-rom.html

After that try install the Breakoutunroot.zip in CWM then factory reset and check for updates.

everything should be able to work if you can Boot into CWM?

Let me know as i just recently started playing with this breakout i just got.

Also check this Stock ROM out. This one says with root.
http://androidforums.com/breakout-a...-post-update-pantech-breakout-rom-w-root.html

Upvote 0
DrHeadband, I envy you! It looks like you have the latest OTA update...

Here's what I'm stuck with.

Phone: Pantech
Model Number: ADR8995
Android Version: 2.3.3
Baseband Version: M8995VWBB46F.BB
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-perf p11387@bs200 #1
Build Number: GRI40
Board & Software version: REV_02 S8995VWB922F.BB

My phone is acting really weird. I'm curious about where the Baseband Version and Board & Software version come from... and why mine don't match but yours do. Perhaps this is where my problems are coming from... but anyway, you should be able to get root with the method mentioned right at the beginning of the thread. Just make sure you create a backup of your phone's stock setup in CWM recovery BEFORE flashing the rooted image (I didn't)!! In theory, that should prevent you headaches down the road if you ever need to return to stock (for example, to receive an OTA update).

I also wonder if the latest OTA actually modifies the stock recovery program, in which case mtmichaelson's option 2 (return to stock recovery) won't match the one you actually have on your phone now... meaning, you'd have no way of returning to your present state if you follow these instructions, and no way of getting another OTA in the future. I don't know enough about Android to be certain though, these are just guesses.

I would be curious to see other people's version numbers though, along with what rom they're using (I believe I'm using mtmichaelson's stockBreakoutPre.zip after an attempt to get the OTA...).

Upvote 0
mrmrmrkevin

Thank you for the reply.

This is interesting but I have no knowledge of OTA or what it does, I suppose it could modify the stock recovery program as you mention but I too have no knowledge of how this works.

To add a bit more information on this topic of my issues, the CWM and Rom Manager will not allow me to make a backup or recover from any images downloaded. I

Upvote 0
Finally got it rooted.

For anyone who missed it like me, it was stated in the first posted instructions, that the camera button is the select button when in recovery mode. I struggled and then discovered it on my own, that was the long way but none the less it worked.

The method on the first post of this thread worked best for me I just got hung up on the camera button.

For those that struggle and try the ZergRuSH or DoomLord method and get the &#8220;Hellions with BLUE flame&#8221; error like I did, I&#8217;d like to post the solution to how I managed to get around the &#8220;Hellions with BLUE flame&#8221; error.

I&#8217;d also like to note that these other two methods may work for some but I probably wouldn&#8217;t have tried these other two methods had I paid closer attention to the button description in the first post.

So in case anyone had attempted ZergRuSH or DoomLord and happened to stumble accros a similar issue like mine which I only saw one post in regards to the &#8220;Hellions with BLUE flame&#8221; error, however; it did not match what I was seeing. In my case there was a &#8220;$&#8221; prompt after the error, no other messages below the &#8220;Hellions with BLUE flame&#8221; error, acting as though we were still in the system but it was waiting for a new command.

If you see this error as I did, disregard the &#8220;
Hellions with BLUE
flame&#8221; error and jump to the section to remove the battery and try booting into the recovery mode. Once there flash the &#8220;BreakoutRot.zip&#8221; file and it worked for me. Once I reboot into the ROM, Titanium Backup and Rom Manager asked for SU privileges, granted it, and it works fine now.

Thank you all for the work you do & keeping these post up and running. Even though I struggled a bit and experienced different issues than most I knew I could find a way to get it working. I&#8217;m not one to give up easily. I hope my post can continue to help others as these experienced individuals posted information that has helped me.

Kudos and credit to all those before me. Keep up the great work.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
lerieann

After unpacking the all things root file you downloaded, locate and double click on the file called "RecoveryAIO.bat". It should execute and bring up a window with selections 1,2, or 3. 1. is the Clock Work Mod Recovery or CWM Recovery, this one worked for me.

I highly recommend you read the directions carefully as you go, it should become clear, if you get confused just go back and try again, that

Upvote 0
The default pantech usb drivers are not working for my 64 bit Windows 7 OS.

My computer does not recognize the pantech breakout as an Android device. It knows that it is a mass storage device, but that's it.

Can someone provide a link to the latest USB drivers and/or give me any insight?

At the end of the day, RecoveryAIO can't find my device, just like all the other 64 bit windows folks...

Upvote 0
someone please help! im rooting my pantec breakout and cannot get phone into cwm tried both all in one and doomlord followed steps by holding vol down and pwr buttons and it loads like normal ive tried holding vol up/pwr (nothing) and tried vol dwn/pwr/home(nothing) and vol up/pwr/home and combinations of all then and cannot get into cwm what can i do ps. this is my first time on a website asking for help be gentle

Upvote 0
Finally! Success after an hour and a half!

I had issues with the RecoveryAIO not recognizing the phone. After much hunting, I found out the the proper drivers WERE installed, but the phone needed to be in fastboot mode. First get BreakoutRoot.zip onto the SD card in a place where you can find it. Then do this:

1)Turn off the phone.
2)Plug the USB cord into the computer, but not the phone.
3)While holding down the back button, plug the other end of the USB cord into the phone.
4)If it worked, the screen will be black with tiny white wording near the top saying 'fastboot mode'.
5)Put the phone aside and run RecoveryAIO again. It should work.

Then:

6)Pull the battery. Replace the battery.
7)Press the search (magnifying glass) button and the power button at the same time until the blue 'Pantech' splash screen goes away and the CWM menu pops up. If anything else happens, you're probably going to have to pull the battery and start over at step 1.
8)Use the volume up/down key to go up/down through the menu. The camera button (next to the power button) is like [enter] and the back button goes back one menu level.
9)Go down to 'Install zip from sdcard' and navigate through the sd card until you select your BreakoutRoot.zip that you had previously put there.
10)Wait until the progress bar finishes and you get the message that your phone has been rooted successfully. Then select 'reboot system now' and you're all done!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones