Recovery screen question during rooting

Last Updated:

1. dom25

dom25 New Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 26, 2010

New here to the rooting scene. I read the various rooting guides and noticed that there's a key combo that you can press to get into the 'Recovery screen' which is both the "home" and "power" keys. I can do this with my Telus Android 1.5 so I'm guessing I can just download another rom and install it from there, right? I'm not sure why I would need to use the so called goldcard method. If someone could provide insight to this, I'd appreciate it. I don't want to just be a lemming without understanding. :)

2. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Pressing Home + On with a stock phone will get you into the stock recovery partition which is pretty useless. You need to install a custom recovery partition first which will give you a whole load of options including to flash an

Also just to correct your terminology for future posts as you are confusing things a bit. To root is just to gain write access to you system files. The can be done on a stock ROM and most custom ROMs come pre-rooted. What you are trying to do here is install a custom ROM.
  3. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Dec 1, 2009
    Like bluenova said, your current recovery menu is pretty useless; you need to switch to a custom recovery image (like amon ra) that's capable of flashing new ROMs.

The problem is, the firmware on some phones have been patched to prevent you from switching to a different recovery menu. So, if you have the patched firmware, the only option is to make a goldcard. The card will then let you install older official firmware that isn't patched. Some telus heros are patched like this, so you may well have to make a goldcard (look for the telus rooting guide at the top of this forum).
  4. djbasik

djbasik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2010
    As stated above, you will need to root your phone in order to install a custom rom.

The process is not all together hard but time consuming and required a little but of patience and experimentation.

I have created an in depth tutorial on how to root the Telus Hero step by step. It will take you from stock hero to custom loaded ROM and making phone calls and surfing in about 1 hour (assuming you don't run into any trouble). Use that forum from now on to post any questions concerns, or issues you may have.