• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Sprint] [RECOVERY]TWRP 2.4 touch recovery [2013-01-29]

frenchy714

Android Expert
Nov 11, 2010
East Tawas, MI
(Not my work, I take no credit):

TWRP Recovery has been updated to 2.3.1.0!

CHANGELOG for 2.3.1.0:
-Unmount system after boot to prevent some status 7 symlink failed errors on zip install
-USB Mass Storage code improvements
-Better handling of mounting storage during boot for some devices
-Fixed a problem with sizes of images (boot & recovery) after resetting defaults
-Fixed size errors during backup for some devices on recovery, etc.
-Fixed a problem with restoring backups when multiple archives were present

CHANGELOG for 2.3.0.0:
-Rebased onto AOSP Jelly Bean source code
-Rewrote backup, restore, wipe, and mount code in C++ classes for easier maintenance going forward
NOTE: backups from prior versions of TWRP are still compatible with 2.3
-ADB sideload functionality from AOSP is included in 2.3, see this link for more info
-Re-wrote fix permissions entirely in C++ and runs in a few seconds instead of a few minutes (thanks to bigbiff)
-Improvements to zip finding in OpenRecoveryScript (should be a lot fewer GooManager automation issues)
-Faster boot times
-Added charging indicator while in recovery (only updates once every 60 seconds)

While this update may not bring a host of new must-have features, this update is a significant re-write of much of the core TWRP code. AOSP Jelly Bean recovery source moved to mostly C++ code and now all of the "TWRP" code is fully rewritten into C++ as well. Now that we've laid this groundwork, we're in a much better position to pull in future AOSP recovery updates as well as implementing more great new features.

Since TWRP 2.3 is based on AOSP jelly bean sources, TWRP now uses recovery API 3 instead of 2. Some zips may no longer work if the developer is using an out-of-date update-binary. This API change should not be a problem on newer devices, but older devices will probably encounter several zips that need to be updated. If needed, you can try using this update-binary that was compiled with current sources. It goes in your zip file in the META-INF/com/google/android folder.

Check out the XDA thread here.

If you like/use the Dev's work, please DONATE!

Reactions: NaterTots
Seriously? I do it every time I restore with titanium. Right after I'm "set up"

Yeah, I'm serious. Come to think of it, I remember only doing it once w/ the OG! And I had to restore a nandroid because my phone started acted weird (maybe for different reasons unknown to me at the time)....Maybe that's why I never did it again...? Does it help tremendously?? I've never felt the need to. In your case, what happens if you don't fix permissions after you restore w/ tb?

Upvote 0
Just the other day my Wifi was acting weird. It wouldn't disconnect when I toggled it.
I booted to recovery, wiped cache, dalvik, and fixed permissions. That fixed it and it's been fine since.

SO does the newest version of TWRP have any issues? I thought there was a problem last week or was it just for certain phones?

Edit: Congrats on 3,000!!!

Reactions: frenchy714
Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm serious. Come to think of it, I remember only doing it once w/ the OG! And I had to restore a nandroid because my phone started acted weird (maybe for different reasons unknown to me at the time)....Maybe that's why I never did it again...? Does it help tremendously?? I've never felt the need to. In your case, what happens if you don't fix permissions after you restore w/ tb?

I do it now because I'm ocd. But if something acts weird I usually wipe caches and fix permissions.

Upvote 0
Just the other day my Wifi was acting weird. It wouldn't disconnect when I toggled it.
I booted to recovery, wiped cache, dalvik, and fixed permissions. That fixed it and it's been fine since.

SO does the newest version of TWRP have any issues? I thought there was a problem last week or was it just for certain phones?

Edit: Congrats on 3,000!!!

Some were getting a status 7 symlink error when restoring nandroids or flashing certain zip files (I never experienced any of these issues). 2.3.1.0 is available now, so no one should experience those issues moving forward.

Upvote 0
CHANGELOG for 2.4.0.0:
-Using libtar instead of busybox's tar for better control over tar file creation and breaking the 2GB barrier that busybox imposes (thanks to bigbiff)
-Support for exFAT formatted sdcards (also thanks to bigbiff)
-Support for decrypting Samsung TouchWiz encrypted devices including internal and external storage (special thanks to a3955269 for figuring it out)
-Improvements to OpenRecoveryScript including displaying a proper GUI while the script is running
-Added wipe cache and dalvik after ADB Sideload
-Replaced many system calls with their native C counterparts
-Fixed bugs in file manager where it would display an empty list after moving or deleting a folder
-Fixed AOSP recovery commands to run after decryption on encrypted devices
-Improvements for building TWRP in CM10.1
-Other minor bugfixes and improvements
NOTE: 2.4.0.0 is, as always, still compatible with your older backups!

TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.4 - | TeamWin

Upvote 0
Because it's soooo easy and nearly impossible to mess up. Plus, it takes about 10 seconds and no reboot. Of course, I can respect the old fashion way but only if you preface it with " back in my day":D

I'm a big believer in not using those apps unless you know how to do it manually as well. :)

You'd be surprised how many people use apps for recovery functions, get a boot loop, and then have no clue what to do from there because they can't get into the app. I bet half my posts on xda are dealing with exactly that for the LTEVO :rolleyes:

Other than that, I don't like having apps installed that I don't use, I always uninstall goo if it comes preloaded.

Upvote 0
I'm a big believer in not using those apps unless you know how to do it manually as well. :)

You'd be surprised how many people use apps for recovery functions, get a boot loop, and then have no clue what to do from there because they can't get into the app. I bet half my posts on xda are dealing with exactly that for the LTEVO :rolleyes:

Other than that, I don't like having apps installed that I don't use, I always uninstall goo if it comes preloaded.

With that said most nexus stuff works flawlessly. It's an adjustment period but you'll get used to it. :D

Reactions: AARONONE
Upvote 0

I very much agree. You should have knowledge of how to operate your phone. With that being said, the convenience of goo is phenomenal. It makes it very easy to do most things without being near my computer (ie: work). Also very quick.

With that said most nexus stuff works flawlessly. It's an adjustment period but you'll get used to it. :D

Agreed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones