• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Recovery] Twrp v3 for Lg Aristo [metropc/t-mobile]

Use lg recovery tool to flash stock .kdz to full stock not just boot.img and recovery.img, if you wiped the system then you could be systemless. Id recommend flashing stock .kdz (google tools and use) then repeating bl unlock and twrp flash and root, use the directions in op specifically and the advice of the forum here to make it fool proof. Hope it helps

Upvote 0
Alright so thanks to Messi we have recovery and have root!
So who's gonna be a bad ass and build us some Lineage or something! :D

We need devs!! Such a sleek and capable device with middle end scores! Bah anyways iv actually started picking up Ubuntu and source code and learning to compile kernels and tweak em, im sure youv seen my posts about the min clock freq across all cores. I dont understand it fully yet, even put a post in the forums asking if any devs would help teach and have gotten nothing.... Iv been testing for years, Android truly is a passion of mine, and i will learn without a tutor, it will just take so much more time. Hopefully I can learn, and put something out of use to us all :)

(Again if any devs would like to help me understand quicker, even strange bits of info or point me to a place of study feel free to drop me a msg, much appreciated)

Upvote 0
Got root! Got hung up a bit after wiping data; twrp recovery splash screen would appear and was quickly followed by scrolling text and phone would eventually boot. Pulled battery and tried again, would get halo with the word "erasing" in it and then it would boot. This happened a couple of times, flashed recovery.img a few times. Finally held volume up button at lg logo and twrp menu finally loaded; wiped again and used back key to get back to twrp menu then installed both zips.

Use the back key in twrp to navigate back twrp menu and everything will be fine.

Thanks to you Messi !!!

Reactions: messi2050
Upvote 0
So I got bored today and decided to factory reset, still had both zips on external sd card. Tried getting to twrp menu but this kept happening. I thought i figured it out yesterday, not today.

I've tried different button and on/off switch combos

A Iittle googling and I guess i should have allowed write access to the system partition, and that stock recovery is overwriting twrp.

Flashed twrp and still get the same screen. I cannot get to twrp menu. Phone is oem unlocked. I'm lucky that phone still boots to os.

Attachments

• twrp not loading.png
    twrp not loading.png
    673.6 KB · Views: 478
Upvote 0
Im a noobie so could you please help me with unlocking the bootloader

Please please read from page 1 to current before doing anything, especially the op (original post) by messi. What you ask is stated several times even in another forum, if you mess up, the process to restore is more in depth, that being said good luck and proceed with every root action or flashing action with caution and knowledge :)

Reactions: richard fizwell
Upvote 0
Hello. I would like to thank Messi and everyone else who helped find the solution for rooting the LG Aristo. This is my first time posting here, as you can tell, and I am a bit of a Novice with rooting a phone using TWRP, so forgive me if I ask stupid questions. Here goes:

Computer OS: Windows 7
Phone Model: LGM210
Carrier: T-Mobile

Developer settings:
USB Debugging: On
Enable OEM Unlock: On

I'm stuck in the beginning on unlocking the bootloader. When my phone is on and connected to my computer, I can enter the adb reboot bootloader command in the terminal and my phone will respond by rebooting into the boot screen. After that, my computer will no longer see the phone in the terminal window and the phone won't respond to any commands like fastboot oem unlock.

I've checked to make sure my computer can see the phone using the adb devices command in the terminal window and while the phone is on and plugged in the terminal shows:

C:\adb>adb devices
List of devices attached
LGM210a910c696 device

Immediately after the adb reboot bootloader command, the terminal window no longer detects the device using the adb devices command. When any commands are immediately entered after into fastboot, the terminal window will just hang with the command <waiting for device>. I've tried fastboot manually using the volume-down-and-plug-in method and I the same issue happens. I tried it both in MTP-mode and PTP-mode and both ways have the same problem.

Any help anyone can offer? Thanks.

Edit:

I figured it out on my own. When fastbooting into the boot screen, Windows 7 under the device manager doesn't automatically install the device drivers while in this mode. It will when the phone is on and running to read it as a media and photo device. I had to go into the Device Manager and manually update the driver to change it from Android(?) to LG Android ADB Device.

Just suggestion, the following instructions may need to be corrected:

"In TWRP, go to Wipe > Format Data. Enter the keyword ‘yes‘, in the provided space and enter. This will wipe the automatically encrypted filesystem, and decrypt it. Once the wiping is done, reboot back into recovery. Go to Reboot > Recovery."

There is no need to reboot after wiping. This caused me more problems than it helped and I had to repeat all the steps over again to get back into TWRP. I instead returned to the main menu in TWRP after decrypting the file system and mounted to MTP to transfer and flash the necessary files to decrypt and root the device.

Also, no-verity-opt-encrypt-2.1.zip does not exist anywhere I could find. I downloaded no-verity-opt-encrypt-3.1.zip and crossed my fingers hoping it would work and it did.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Messi... you did all this without having an Aristo for testing? I'm completely impressed.

I got a T-Moblie Aristo yesterday. I want root it, but wait a while before flashing the rom. Is the SR1-SuperSU-v2.78-SR1-20160915123031.zip file a package that roots the phone & also installs SuperSU, or does it just install SuperSU on a phone that's already rooted? If it roots the phone, can it be used without flashing TWRP?
You're probably rolling your eyes just about now... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Messi... you did all this without having an Aristo for testing? I'm completely impressed.

I got a T-Moblie Aristo yesterday. I want root it, but wait a while before flashing the rom. Is the SR1-SuperSU-v2.78-SR1-20160915123031.zip file a package that roots the phone & also installs SuperSU, or does it just install SuperSU on a phone that's already rooted? If it roots the phone, can it be used without flashing TWRP?
You're probably rolling your eyes just about now... :rolleyes:
Yea I never had a device of those i work for [ samsung j700t/t1 , j700p & lg stylo 2 / stylo 2 plus] except the stylo 2 plus and i got it only 1 week ago (months after i ported twrp for it) :cool: , super su package enable root access and installs super su to manage the root access permissions for the installed apps but you can't flash it without a custom recovery.

Reactions: aimzzz
Upvote 0
To root or not to root...

That thought has been on my mind lately. I recently acquired this device through MetroPCS and it's my first LG. I like it, coming from a 2015 J7 so size is my only challenge this moment (I love big phones. Dream phone is a Note).

Been lurking this thread a few days now, excited by the fact a few of the kinks are being worked on. Shall await update to decide a bit more. Main reason I haven't rooted is because I'm a PoGo player and well, not workarounds for that yet.

Thanks for working on this, even though you don't own the device. Says a lot about the Android community, and fuel to my 'learn coding' fire.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the work on this project.

Within 2 days though, my phone has slowed to a total crawl. I get about 2-3 mins on a fresh boot to quickly do anything I can, before it completely locks up. All I did was flash TWRP, no-verity and SuperSU. Everything was done correctly.

Would love a new build to test, because this isn't gonna fly. For now I'm gonna have to completely wipe and refresh.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: messi2050
Upvote 0
Thanks for the work on this project.

Within 2 days though, my phone has slowed to a total crawl. I get about 2-3 mins on a fresh boot to quickly do anything I can, before it completely locks up. All I did was flash TWRP, no-verity and SuperSU. Everything was done correctly.

Would love a new build to test, because this isn't gonna fly.

Thanks!
I had similar issues but what I ended up doing was I wiped everything and used the lg up tool to reload the stock KDZ file, then reflashed twrp, reflashed no verity, reflashed Supersu, then got the phone setup again, rebooted into recovery and flashed the previous release of Supersu that is considered stable (December release like the 19th I think), and flashed the V9 Universal MOD blazing fast speed that can be found over on XDA, and voila I havent had any issues with slow down or the boot loop problems I had been having before.........

Upvote 0
I had similar issues but what I ended up doing was I wiped everything and used the lg up tool to reload the stock KDZ file, then reflashed twrp, reflashed no verity, reflashed Supersu, then got the phone setup again, rebooted into recovery and flashed the previous release of Supersu that is considered stable (December release like the 19th I think), and flashed the V9 Universal MOD blazing fast speed that can be found over on XDA, and voila I havent had any issues with slow down or the boot loop problems I had been having before.........

Thanks. Yeah, I'm back on stock with no issues. I'll wait for this new build before doing this again.

Upvote 0
This is seriously annoying. TWRP crashes for me whenever I try and boot into it. It unpacks the script, then restarts the phone and I can't get back to TWRP without going through the entire process again (and, of course it fails again). I'm trying to just flash the kdz and start over with the new build.

GRRRR

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones