• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [RECOVERY] ZenGarden 2.0.3.3-T --------- 01/30/2013

Earthnfire78

Feb 8, 2012
When I first built and release CWM-Blue Recovery I centered it around my ROM builds, but over time I saw a need by the V community. The need for a recovery that is simple to use and does what the seasoned root users, but most notably those that are new to root needs a recovery to do.

ZenGarden Recovery Hard Key Version had been discontinued due to keeping with the coding of multiple version has become difficult.

Features
  1. Display installed recovery version under Settings > About phone (required boot into recovery, but currently will not show up).
  2. Add extra Debugging > Quick Fix option to install zip from data partition if sdcard is none functional(Must run Prepare for New Install at lease one).
  3. Added Partition Manager with option to convert your existing sd-ext.
  4. Better Reboot menu.
  5. Added option to delete a Backup..
  6. if backup does not pass md5sum verification it is now automatically deleted.
  7. Multiple install options - Auto install Gapps after installing ROM.
  8. Reverted back to storing backups to clockworkmod folder (backups in zencovery folder well be moved to defaulted backup directory automatically. This may take time depending on the size of the the backups and how many there are, so don't freak if it seems like the recovery is stuck).
  9. Fix Recovery Boot Loop.
  10. Home Key is menu select (Hard Key).
  11. Better handling of auto function errors.
  12. Simplified menu options, moved things around of easier navigation.
  13. Wipe menu options (Data/Factory Reset, Wipe Cache/Delcik-Cache, Format everything and Format just things needed before updating current ROM).
  14. Compatible with apps used for updating current ROM i.e IHO Updater, BacksideUpdater, ROMKeeper and ROM Manager).
  15. S2E/Link2SD compatible.
  16. Auto Reboot after manual zip install.
  17. Auto Reboot after manual restore of a backup.
  18. Auto backup before installing zip when used with a compatible app.
  19. VM670 and LS670 version.

Menu Layout

Reboot System
  1. Boot Android
  2. Reboot Recovery
  3. Reboot Bootloader (not functional for LS670)
Wipe/Format
  1. Cache Dalvik-Cache
  2. Data/Factory Reset
  3. Prepare for Update
  4. Prepare for New Install
Install Package
  1. Install Manually
  2. Install and Reboot
  3. Install with Gapps
  4. Install update.zip
Backup & Restore
  1. Nandroid Backup
  2. Verify Backup
  3. Delete Bakup
  4. Restore Backup
  5. Adv. Restore Backup
Advance Options
  1. Utilities
  2. Settings
  3. Debugging
Power Off

Do not flash radio!!!

Below images are not true, if I can get emulator working right I'll update to better screen shots.

ZenGarden Touch

If you are stuck in recovery do to a Recovery Boot-Loop or a bad flash, use this flash zip to get out of those problems; just flash in recovery as you would any zip file and reboot the recovery.
ZenGarden-Touch-Recovery.zip
md5sum
97876c796e2f1998d839b5cd1dab437e

Recovery Downloads

VM670-ZenGarden-Touch

LS670-ZenGarden-Touch

Recommended install methods are terminal/adb or IHO Updater. if you chose to use Flash Image GUI app then rename the recovery to recovery.img.
Code:
[FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]adb shell
# flash_image recovery /path-to-recoveryimage/name of recovery[/SIZE][/FONT]

The source code for both are available here:

None Touch Version Source Code!

IHO Updater Source!

I'm currently redoing IHO Updater to just simply install a chosen zip v.i.a. recovery for Gingerbread ROMS that do not have an online manifest.

Install without sdcard
First format the system, data, boot and cache partitions or run the Wipe/Format Options > Prepare for New Install, then push the zip to the data partition.
Code:
adb shell mount /data/
adb push "pathing to zip/name of zip" /data/

After that is done go to Advance Option > Deugging > Quick Fixes and select Install without sdcard. Recovery then will reboot and install the zip file.

You might need to do some work on the new version.
1. Selecting any of the data wipes causes the recovery to go up one directory level after done (goes back to main menu). Very annoying when I want to accomplish multiple wipes.
2. When selecting a zip to install it auto reboots after install of the zip. If you need to install a Gingerbread ROM and Gapps (as well as flash a kernel) it's even more annoying.
3. Didn't allow me to restore a backup. Would let me select the backup and restore option, but once I selected the restore option it would go back to main menu.

Will stick with the previous ZenGarden Touch version as it works flawlessly.

Reactions: badblue1
Upvote 0
You might need to do some work on the new version.
1. Selecting any of the data wipes causes the recovery to go up one directory level after done (goes back to main menu). Very annoying when I want to accomplish multiple wipes.
2. When selecting a zip to install it auto reboots after install of the zip. If you need to install a Gingerbread ROM and Gapps (as well as flash a kernel) it's even more annoying.
3. Didn't allow me to restore a backup. Would let me select the backup and restore option, but once I selected the restore option it would go back to main menu.

Will stick with the previous ZenGarden Touch version as it works flawlessly.

Answer: That is by design, the Wipe Cache/Delvik-Cache and Data/Factory Reset well go back to the main menu. The Wipes for install options Wipe everything and/or Wipe what is need to install an update of your current ROM then go to the chose zip to install (chose the zip and well then start the installer.

2. When selecting a zip to install it auto reboots after instillation of the zip. If you need to install a Gingerbread ROM and Gapps (as well as flash a kernel) it's even more annoying.

Answer: May have to add an options to install without auto rebooting, did not think of that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Just move the backups to "zenrecovery" directory.

Upvote 0
No zenrecovery folder was made during install of recovery. No zenrecovery folder was made with previous recovery version, even after backing up a Froyo ROM.
To much extra stuff that has to be done with new version to allow every option to work properly.
Plus I'm a wipe freak. I also have obijohn's update_wiper_1.3.zip on the SD card to insure no residual data on install of new ROM.
The update just makes things more complicated for me.
I really like the previous version. Will stick with that.

Upvote 0
Very good idea. If you do all those things, it will be a very good recovery. I'm still sticking with the previous version because of the way the wipe directory is setup. Personal preference, that's all.

The system , cache and data partitions get wiped twice, and sometimes three times with the updater-script. I know that people love obijohn's wipe script, but him and LeslieAnn are wrong about what a wipe or format does. No matter how may times something is wiped or formatted the data is still there, because either one is rewriting an empty block unto what you are wiping. That being said I will revert back to the previous wipe setup.

Going to add options to install single zip then auto reboot, install with Gapps then auto reboot, or install without a reboot.

Upvote 0
Wow, those are a lot of nice features you added! Looks like COTR and this recovery may be the biggest competition, except COTR supports more phones :rolleyes:
Can you get this working on the optimus m? I always loved noob proof stuff. :D

Possible have something tomorrow, cause it really all it would take is changing out the kernel for one used by the Optimus M.

Reactions: sammyz
Upvote 0
The one thing I did notice is Zen Garden and COT will not work with QtADB.
So.... I'm back to the CWMod based Touch Screen recovery and a zipped version of Xionia on the SD card.
Oh well?.

The ICS version yes, it has to do with how adb needs to be mounted and well not work in Windows. To fix this the init.rc file needs to be edited, but that would dis able a lot of functions having to do with adb. So this really is a Windows driver problem.

The ZenGarden 2.0.0.1-T which is still fully gingerbread well still work. Also noticed that the Program has not been updated in almost a year, so because of source code changes some of the functions for the recovery are out dated as well.

Upvote 0
Ok.....you wouldn't happen to have that version lying around for me to download, would ya?
Question: What are the differences I might encounter between that version and the 1.3.2-T that I had been using (other than being able to use QtADB). Give me the good and bad, I can take it (maybe?).

Upvote 0
the link is in the OP. But I may stop development of the ICS one because of the Windows Driver problem and just incorporate some of the backup options and settings into the Gingerbread source. I don't spend a lot of time in Windows so testing with that O/S doesn't come up.

The changes are: the reboot menu now handles all the reboot options, Wipe/Format has better error control, Install Menu you can now install any Gapps version you like. Restore of a backup gives better feed back in case of md5 error, and if mismatch prompt you to delete the backup.

The Advance Menu is were I made the biggest changes, everything that has to do with settings, utilities, and debugging is there. Plus under settings in the next few updates all the options there are going to be preeminent user define thought I'm not quite there yet.

Upvote 0
Doh! Just natually thought that link was updated to newest version.
I don't absolutely need it to work in Windows with QtADB, as long as it will work in Linux version of QtADB.

I haven't had a chance to try it on a Linux version yet as I haven't had chance to install my Linux utilities onto the SuperOS 11.10 (has real intella-hide app bar that totally moves off page thus giving more useable page area, Ubuntu's still only gives you the same page space no matter if hid or seen).
Also need to install them on Snow Linux. I like the way it's set up, just now getting chance to check it out, but seems to be really fast on my older system. Might switch, as Ubuntu and SuperOs 11.10 (Unity desktop) have a greater graphics need than Snow Linux (xfce desktop).
At any rate, it would be great if I could get Zen Garden/QtADB to work on all OS's as the Windows OS has some Utilities I can't get to work on Linux, even with Wine installed.

Thanks for listening and making changes, and having an older version (right under my nose the whole time).
AndyOpie150

Upvote 0
I'm about 90% sure I well stop ICS recovery development, been thinking that not everyone uses Linux as most V user have windows Systems. Reading through a lot of posts using adb while the phone is booted into recovery seems to be a pretty common need for those that have problems with boot-loops or bad flashes.

Upvote 0
If they only knew. Linux Distros are far better and don't require antivirus and malware programs. Can't get a virus unless you try to install a windows program that has one imbedded.
Plus there is enough variety in the Distro's to satisfy anybodys taste.

I wouldn't use Windows to surf the web if you paid me. Easiest way to pick up a virus that I know. I only have it on my computer because of the Windows specific Programs and Utilities that are not developed for Linux as well (don't know why there not) and can't be run with Wine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones