• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Red Light Cameras... CHEATING TO ISSUE MORE TICKETS

IOWA

Mr. Logic Pants
Dec 2, 2009
Chicago
Stories about the outrage over red light cameras have started to go mainstream. And given that some suspect the cameras are rigged in favor of revenue over safety, it's to be expected that some of the caught drivers would start to fight back. Reader Josh submitted this story about a math tutor, Mike Mogil, who took it upon himself to challenge the red light ticket his wife received by claiming that the yellow light was unfairly short (via the Consumerist). Armed with a stopwatch, Mogil timed the yellow lights in his town and found that the yellow light in question only lasted 3.8 seconds, much shorter than the 4.5 seconds that the county guidelines require. With this information, he challenged the ticket, which was then dropped by the courts. That said, this is not the first time that red light cameras have been found to be unfairly trapping motorists. After all, since red light camera programs can be big revenue generators, there is great incentive to cheat a little to bump up the revenue. The result is just another reminder that it could pay to fight if you ever get trapped. That said, if our governments need more revenue, perhaps they should find it through more honest, transparent means rather than under the false guise of public safety.

Yet Another Cheating Red Light Camera | Techdirt

Wherever there is a misuse of authority it must be challenged but it pure hypocrisy to suggest that the vast majority of speeding tickets and other violations caught on camera are not thoroughly deserved.

Whether the cameras are there to make money or not why should people guilty of breaking the law get away with it.

If you broke the law stop whinging and pay up.

Upvote 0
Wherever there is a misuse of authority it must be challenged but it pure hypocrisy to suggest that the vast majority of speeding tickets and other violations caught on camera are not thoroughly deserved.

Whether the cameras are there to make money or not why should people guilty of breaking the law get away with it.

If you broke the law stop whinging and pay up.

Did you even read the article?

Upvote 0
Here in MO they just passed a bill banning red light cameras in the entire state. One of the teachers I work with got a ticket from one and asked the cop in our building what to do with them and he said throw it away. The parts of MO that used them didn't send them to the state to collect them, they were sent to credit collections to be collected.

I am not saying people that broke the law shouldn't pay for what they have done, I am simply stating what they have done in MO about them.

Upvote 0
I'm from Vancouver, B.C. Reading the OP about 4.5 seconds for an amber light seems unusually long compared to the amber lights here. They seem more like 2 seconds to me. I'm going to have to check it out the next time I see an amber light and have the opportunity to time it.

Red light cameras in my province seemed to have good public support. I don't hear much opposition complaining about it being a tax grab, like there was for speed cameras. They got rid of speed cameras a decade ago as they were very unpopular. There is no such movement against red light cameras.

Upvote 0
They are going to milk money out of you, one way or the other. If they do not do it by traffic cameras, they will do it by other means. For example, a lot of states now require you to use a hand free device while driving, but in the same state, it is illegal to wear a head covering or device that is placed in the ear.

You get pulled over, they will claim you where listening to music and fine you.

The bottom line is this. The county, city, or state is going to get there money.

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
They are going to milk money out of you, one way or the other. If they do not do it by traffic cameras, they will do it by other means. For example, a lot of states now require you to use a hand free device while driving, but in the same state, it is illegal to wear a head covering or device that is placed in the ear.

You get pulled over, they will claim you where listening to music and fine you.

The bottom line is this. The county, city, or state is going to get there money.

Truth.they'll get us one way put another. I'd rather not have it nee automated though.

Upvote 0
AFAICT in most of mainland China there are no amber lights, just red and green, so no argument about length of amber light time. Although in many places a red light appears as a recommendation to stop than meaning you MUST stop, many choose to ignore them.

Some places to have red light cameras now, so if one is caught jumping the lights, one is probably facing a driving license endorsement and 10 years in a forced labour re-education camp.

Hong Kong is different, here traffic lights are very much the same as the UK.

Upvote 0
They installed traffic light cameras "for safety" in Washington DC and discovered 2 things.

1) Instances of "rear end collisions" went up almost 10% (from people slamming on the brakes.

2) More than half of the gridlock incidents were created by Metro-Buses (lot's of photos of a bus sitting in the middle of the intersection)

3) LOTS of photos of various higher ranked government officials running the red-lights, especially congressional aids.

Somehow I don't think this is what they thought they were going to get for results.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones