• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Red Star Notifications

Symun23

May 25, 2010
Every day at 9.30am my phone vibrates and I get a red star in the notifications bar at the top trying to sell me something.

Anyone know where this is coming from and how I can stop it from happening, its very annoying especially when I'm trying to have a lie in.

Cheers

Yep, I get the same on my HTC Desire, really irritating - started a few days ago. I checked with O2 to make sure I wasn't being stung somehow. I haven't visited any dodgy sites as far as I am aware. All I can assume is that it is spyware which was attached to one of the apps I downloaded recently. It is FunMobile, who, from what I can gather, have been fined numerous times by Telecom watchdogs around the world for various breaches of telecom guidelines. They appear to operate out of Dubai, and I'm reluctant to send a STOP message in case that comes up as a premium text. I've run various Malware/Spyware tests, but never at the exact time the notifications arrive. There doesn't seem to be an active spyware program running all the time, so I guess it just kicks in at 9.30am each day, will have to keep an eye on it see if AVG catches it. Will keep posted if discover anything further.

Upvote 0
I *think* the name was "Free Wifi Finder."

I tried to find it in the Market, and in the Amazom market, but I couldn't. It doesn't even show up as one of my installed apps. So I guess they yanked it, as well they should.

I think it ever found *one* open wifi, and none of my neighbors have secure wifi, so it should have found at least three all the time when I am at home. So it was junk to start with.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones