Red Triangle and Exclamation Piont

Last Updated:

1. Myers3403

Myers3403 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi im new here, and was looking at another thread about rooting, ive thought about for some time and never got around to it.

So I was following all the step and before I rooted I went to do a Nandroid backup.

So I power down my phone, hold volume up + power button, phone comes on, little green guys, then I get a pic of a phone with a red exclamation point inside a red triangle. When I hate volume up + power again I get system recovery screen and at the bottom it says E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command.

Now im not rooted and I have the 2.1 OTA that I manually installed when it came out, and installed without any problems.

Now im just confused and have no idea what wrong with my phone.

Phone works fine though when I boot up as normal.

Advertisement
  2. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Well-Known Member

You don't have custom recovery (ie Amon-Ra) if you didn't root. You have to root first, (I suggest the one click method, it's insanely easy and you can't screw it up) and then boot into recovery to make the Nandroid. No root=No Amon-Ra recovery=No Nandroid. The red exclamation/triangle is the phone's stock recovery.

3. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

The screens you are seeing are the "stock" recovery boot - perfectly normal for an Eris which has not been rooted.

(This is consistent with what "zerocool79346" says above - but stated in a slightly different way).

If you do either the One-Click or Dummies method of rooting, the regular OS that you use during normal operation of your phone is untouched, but the recovery boot is replaced with Amon_RA's custom recovery. Once that happens, the "Nandroid" backup option is available to you from within the Amon_RA menus.

eu1

4. delirious1

delirious1 New Member

My red triangle, exclamation point ocassionally show up on a particular contact in texting. I read in another forum that it's warning the did not recieve the message, but I know that's not correct, as I get responses - in fact, have entire conversations - with the red triangle appearing next to the name. So what's up with that?

5. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Best Answer
    What you are observing is completely different from the topic of this thread - start a different thread with a descriptive title.