• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reducing Android Os Battery usage on Samsung Galaxy S2

Gunzah

Lurker
Dec 31, 2011
I have read a lot of topic about this and none of them answer my question.
My question is this:

I received Samsung Galaxy S2 as a christmas gift.
When I play with it, the Screen is what uses most battery.
But !
When I disable all networks, Wifi, GPS, and disable data transfer by holding the power switch for several seconds.
Then, Android Os is the thing that uses most battery.
I need some way to combat this problem.
I wanted a phone that can do things, not a device that uses battery to run Android Os when everything is disabled.
I update the thing when ever there is something to update.
I will not use custom updates to void warranty.

This thread is for:
Reducing battery usage for Android Os.
NOT for repeating the noob tips to save battery like screen brightness.

Please post your advice.

That's normal for any operating system, whether it is Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, whatever. The readings are giving you a percentage of what uses battery. We can think of it this way, a basket contains 4 apples, 3 oranges and 3 mangoes. In that scenario, the basket is 40% apples. If you remove the oranges and mangoes, the basket is 100% apples.
In your situation it could be like this:
In one hour, battery drained 10%, and 40% of that (basically 4% battery usage) was Android OS. So you turned of everything. One hour later, you see battery drained by 4%, 100% of that 4% was Android OS.

Get my drift?

Upvote 0
Theres several GSII forums on here, check them out.

I know some people are complaining that the upgrade from 2.3.4 to 2.3.6 is causing the Android OS to use more battery usage, but apparently a few complete charges reduces the cpu usage/battery consumption. It might just say it's using more battery then the display due to a glitch though. As long as you're getting 12+ hours of decent use, I wouldn't worry about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones