1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support Refurb Bionic Need Back Up Program

1. Duckster

Duckster Well-Known Member

I am getting a refurb Bionic (they still have them) due to data drops and a few other issues. Apparently the rumor about Verizon being out of Bionics and replacing them with other phones is untrue. This will be my third Bionic.

I would like to be able to have a painless re installation process. Are there any apps or programs out there than will back up the phone and reinstall everything as is including the home pages?

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

if you mean home screens, no, none (so far) can restore widgets on the home screens.

Other than that, Titanium and ROM Toolbox Pro both do superlative jobs - YMMV depending upon which one you use. Be sure to change the storage location to the external SDCard when making a backup.
    Duckster likes this.
  3. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

The best is Titanium Backup Pro but it requires you to be root-ed.

- Other than wanting to experiment with your Android device it is probably the best reason to root.
    - Root-ing brings added responsibilities that not all end users are prepared to assume.

The best I have found for un-root-ed backups is My Backup Pro.

Neither app is a "turn key" solution.

... Thom
    Duckster likes this.
  4. chmodx

chmodx Well-Known Member

Verizon will typically replace your phone with another if:
    You are still under warranty, factory or extended
    You have had at least 3(ish) replacements already.

Getting their online customer service involved finally got me over the hurdles with the Droid 2 a while back. I kept getting "certified refurbished" broken crap. One had missing keys, the other had a bunch of bad pixels, the other got so hot I thought it would catch fire.

Finally after those 3 they sent me a Samsung Fascinate. Great phone, but I knew Samsung was terrible with updates(at the time), so I walked into a store and paid $35 for a Motorola Droid X. The X was a great phone, wish I had just gotten it to begin with.

Either way, if you want a new phone that's going to be better but not screw you out of an upgrade, buy one on ebay. I bought my Bionic(in literally perfect condition) for a reasonable price. I'm now ready to get either a Note 2 or HTC DIx once it's released.
  5. Satires

Satires Well-Known Member

One thing never to do with a nandroid backup (Rooted and backed up with clockwork recovery)

Never take a recovery from one bionic to another bionic. I tried that once and the phone was very buggy.

Just start from scratch, yeah, I know it takes time and all, but it's worth it to get a fresh start on another device imo. :)
    Duckster likes this.
  6. Thom

I agree 100%. If he's asking what I would do ... I would start with an out-of-the-box device and then modify it step-by-step.

This is the perfect opportunity to get rid of the garbage you just never got around to getting rid of.

... Thom
    Duckster likes this.
  7. Duckster

Thanks for the responses. I forgot to mention that I am not rooted. I will definitely take some screen shots of what I have and go from there. I have had the Bionic for a year but I definitely don't have any "junk" on it. I use all of the apps that are there and I regularly "house clean" the aps.
  8. Thom

You will be surprised at the junk you accumulated that you were not aware of. The increment gal approach will simply leave it on the old device.

Good luck.

... Thom
  9. Duckster

What a pain! I decided to take your advice and start fresh. I backed up everything on the hard drive (good thing that I did). Reinstalling the contacts has been the biggest pain. It kept installing the phone numbers in the "notes" section. I couldn't dial anyone. If this happens to anyone else, here is how I fixed it thanks to some pretty smart people "from back in the day": productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/PB9O3GL_n3c
  10. freedomfighter

freedomfighter Well-Known Member

I thought you couldn't buy a phone from ebay to use on Verizon?
  11. Duckster

I asked that question to the supervisor at Verizon AND Tech support. They both said that you CAN use a phone purchased from another source BUT you can NOT get it insured through Verizon or their insurance company.