Refurbished captivates

Last Updated:

1. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm getting ready to call samsung to change out my phone due to my phone not finding a network everyone I change out a battery. Anyone here have a refurbished that can comment if they are worth getting or just keeping the one I have now.

Advertisement
  2. AndroidDetroit

AndroidDetroit New Member

I just got a refurb Captivate like 2 days ago from ATT. It's Mint. Looks like brand new to me. Didn't come in a fancy box but for free I could care less.

3. DynaBlue

DynaBlue Well-Known Member

I have a refurb Captivate (random shutoffs on my original one). It also came mint looking and has worked well for the past 4 days. I'll be keeping my eye on it for problems though.

My only concern is restoring the original phone back from the leaked Froyo before I ship it off. Last thing I need is a $450 charge because I violated warranty even though the phone hardware has very doubtfully been damaged by the OS upgrade.

4. BigCiX

Well I got a different sim card from at&t. So far I've resetted the phone three times and no problem. Hopefully it was the old card.

5. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

my friend has had an refurb and it works the same as mine!

6. Lucidelusions

Lucidelusions Member

Got my refurbed one today and beside all the headaches I went through getting it to connect to my computer (from what I read has nothing to do with it being refurb) I love it. Still learning everything but the screen is amazing compared to my iPhone 3GS

7. jesterkiller

jesterkiller Member

ordered my wife a refurbed one from ATT. got it yesterday and it's the same as mine that i bought brand new the day they came out. with anything else if you have insurance through ATT they send you a refurb phone anyways

8. BigCiX

So far so good with this simcard. Went to walmart yesterday where I bought it and they have the captivate for $98 now.

9. karabearblu

karabearblu Member

I just got my refurbed Captivate last week and have not had any issues with it. Works perfectly. I have bought other refurbed Samsung products before and no problems.

10. persianjade

persianjade New Member

I have had my refurb'd captivate for a week now with no problems at all..When I had gotten it in the mail it was perfect! No scratches etc. It is perfect I couldn't believe it..I'm hooked on this phone! totally give's the ip4 a run for it's money as it was designed to specifically rival the ip4! I have had an ip4 and would prefer this phone over it anyday! Ive always been a fan of samsung! A korean company that pounds out nothing but quality electronics (toys)...GET THE SAMSUNG CAPTIVATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

11. BigCiX

Well called at&t warranty & they told me to do a full phone factory reset before I turn it in. I thought the sim card was the issue but still the problem continued. So far I resetted the phone a few times and it's being working.

12. rpogorek

rpogorek New Member

I have had a refurb Captivate through the AT&T store (for free on upgrade)for a week with no problems at all. GPS works great, no random shutdowns or battery issues, and it was absolutely pristine on arrival. It did come in an AT&T refurb box, but it was well packaged and came with all standard supplies. No regrets.

13. iploya

iploya Well-Known Member

I got a refurb under warranty after complaining about my GPS. I was worried that a refurb was likely to be a unit that someone ELSE returned due to defective GPS. However, my refurb came with a GPS that actually WORKS, and is a keeper...so I had a good experience with my refurb.

Here's a catch though - when you exchange for a refurb outside of the 30-day return, you effectively forego the balance of your 1-year warranty from Samsung; your refurb will come with a 90-day only warranty.

14. BigCiX

getting a refurb.

15. carmendiva

good luck!

16. BigCiX

called in for a refurb yesterday at 2:30pm. Got it in the next day at 3:00pm from Texas (i'm in california). Paid the $12 rush delivery!!!

17. jcdouglas

jcdouglas Member

I got a free upgrade for a refurbished Captivate ($18.00 upgrade charge) and it's been working great the past week. The downside, only a 90 day warranty. This is my first smartphone and when I upgraded online, it did not allow me to select a data plan, even though it was required. When I received and activated the phone, I still could not select a data plan. I had to call ATT and the customer service rep told me that I was being charged per MB, but there was no problem switching to the appropriate data plan.

18. AKA_Rizzo

AKA_Rizzo Well-Known Member

Refurbed phones can also be a new phone returned due to buyers remorse.

For instance my HTC Aria, I used it for two weeks. Fearing a $300 charge on return I treated like an infant. Carried it with two hands LOL.

Anyway, Someone is getting my Aria as a Refurb.

It's just phones that can not be sold as "New".

19. BigCiX

well the lady said it wasn't a refurbished phne...i was new. I know that the white tag underneith the battery had no information like the one i sent off did. It's just blank.

20. rockfrawg

rockfrawg Member

what he said x 2! refurb and Captivate FTW!

21. lotreaglesfan

lotreaglesfan Well-Known Member

AT&T said that my one year warranty transfers over to the refurb phone that is in shipping currently to me. That is correct, correct?

22. Tenacious--M

Tenacious--M Well-Known Member

I got a new Samsung Captivate and it keeps rebooting on me at random and the keys (especially back key) are really bad. They dont recognzie my touch half the time unless I press really hard on them.

My question is....if I get a replacment how will I be able to tell if its a refurb or not?

Are the refubs typically better since they have had more extensive testing?

23. carmendiva

Tenacious, that is unfortunate...
    I don't know how to tell refurbs apart from a brand spanking new ones.
    I wouldnt' say it would necessarily be better in all cases

Like some people said, some refurbs really are new phones...they were unopened...But people had buyer's remorse and take em back and they can't sell them as new

But my friends refurb is doing just fine...no complaints from him

24. BigCiX

Carmen u must be rich since u own and plan to get a new windows phone.

25. bitemyshoe

bitemyshoe Guest

I would guess that there were a lot of people like me who returned perfect condition phones inside their return window. My Captivate was perfect when i returned it, but i couldn't stand it or AT&T. Hardware was excellent, though.