• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
This is just my two cents...

Personally, I would never buy a refurbished cell phone of any kind. As former Blackberry admin at my work, our office had nothing but problems with refurbished Blackberries. We even had one explode sort of (poped loudly and died) while an employee was using it.

Also I have bad things about refurbished Androids too.

My feeling is that most of the refurbished phones are ones that were returned for some reason, and that they still have problems.

My opinion is to stay away from refurbished phones and just save up for a new one.

Reactions: shel673
Upvote 0
We've had them for a month now, purchased online through AT&T for $20 each, two day delivery. I had always had reservations about buying refurbished myself, but for $20 I don't see it as much of a risk and figured if they are going to malfunction in any way, they'll probably do it within the first 3 months.

Reactions: shel673
Upvote 0
We've had them for a month now, purchased online through AT&T for $20 each, two day delivery. I had always had reservations about buying refurbished myself, but for $20 I don't see it as much of a risk and figured if they are going to malfunction in any way, they'll probably do it within the first 3 months.

I've done the same (two @ $20 each) and agree with your logic. A 90% discount for what is arguably the best AT&T has to offer? Too tantalizing to ignore.

Upvote 0
I have had no regrets whatsoever. Froze bloatware using Titanium, performed the usual customization, and that's it. I'll probably stick with the phone as is and not "update" to ICS. Fast, stable, and...did I say fast? I'm not wanting for anything vs. the Captivate that required major surgery.

Upvote 0
I used to sell AT&T cell phones, and Spint as well.

98% of refurbs come about this way, a customer buys a phone. In a few days, for whatever reason (usually cannot afford the bill or want a different phone) return the phone. It is checked out by techs, diagnostics run on it. Repackaged and resold, but cannot be sold as new. So sold as a refurb unit. Much cheaper.
They still have the 1 year manufacturer's warranty from date of purchase.

Except for my first cell phone I have had nothing but refurbs. The one I had problems with was the brand new phone. 2 weeks, charger port goes out. Get a refurb unit, fine for 4 years. My last phone before upgrading to the skyrocket was a Palm Treo 750, had it almost 5 years, refurb. It still works great!

I'd say, save the cash and get a refurb if you can!

Upvote 0
I purchased phone insurance on my Captivate (thus the moniker) on release day. Its since been upgraded to a GSII (non-Skyrocket). My wife got the Captivate. Broke the Captivate last week, not close enough to upgrade time... so I lost my GSII. Decided to cash in the insurance policy, even though the $125 deductible is ridiculous. Guess what? They don't have the Captivate anymore.

$125 later I have a refurb Skyrocket. Liked it so much, let my wife keep the GSII. Works perfectly and flawless condition.

EDIT: Oh yeah, came with a 1 year warranty.

Upvote 0
I purchased phone insurance on my Captivate (thus the moniker) on release day. Its since been upgraded to a GSII (non-Skyrocket). My wife got the Captivate. Broke the Captivate last week, not close enough to upgrade time... so I lost my GSII. Decided to cash in the insurance policy, even though the $125 deductible is ridiculous. Guess what? They don't have the Captivate anymore.

$125 later I have a refurb Skyrocket. Liked it so much, let my wife keep the GSII. Works perfectly and flawless condition.

EDIT: Oh yeah, came with a 1 year warranty.

Well I ended up purchasing a 2yr insurance plan from Ensquared for my Skyrocket. It seems to be a better deal than the one offered by AT&T.

Upvote 0
I have never bought a refurbished cell phone before. I am looking at the ATT Sumsung Galaxy S 2 Skyrocket for $19,99. Do you think this would be a wise deal?
When you are buying refurbished mobiles, what mobile you buy isn`t the question but where you buy it from is, personally as a user of refurbished mobiles I would suggest you to buy it from Yaanta, look at their website for more info, I have bought refurbished samsung galaxy s4 from them & its working like a charm

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones