• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Regarding the 2.3.6 Update & MetroPCS (Solved)

Yes you will AaronEmoBoi.

This is some settings I was able to get from an original working phone from a friend. That did not work for me... but I'm still trying.

103egz9.jpg

Upvote 0
I had updated my Samsung Admire to the latest android system 2.3.6 which made me lost the MetroPCS Apps(no big deal), the Internet & MMS. Although the phone is much faster than before the Data service might be useful in some times.

The update of the 2.3.6 was under the MetroPCS download section

2rdeqep.png

I contacted Samsung and got the following reply.

As the Samsung technical support said

"In regard with your concern, configuring the MMS and internet connection are something which is configured by the Service Provider by having the configuration settings for these kind of services. This is not a setting
which can be configured on the phone itself as it is part of the network services by your provider"

My question here has anyone contact MetroPCS and was able to get the right settings for the Internet & MMS?

Went to a Corporate store and they try to say my phone was rooted but all i said was that everything else was working but my data and that i updated thru samsung website. New phone should be here by monday!

Upvote 0
Went to a Corporate store and they try to say my phone was rooted but all i said was that everything else was working but my data and that i updated thru samsung website. New phone should be here by monday!

i did the same thing and saddly they gave me the same bs. and meh it sucked but in the end it kinda worked out for me because while i wasn't able to get a replace ment for that phone i'm able to just buy a new phone. i'm hoping someone finds a way to fix this phone, wouldn't mind saving this phone and giving it to a family member for x-mas.

Upvote 0
Can't you just set the apn settings to the metropcs network? I remember when I had updated my huawei with cm7 and metropcs wasn't supported for data or mms and all we had to do was set the apn through the voice dialer

The apn settings for metropcs

APN: internet
Proxy: wap.metropcs.net:3128
Port: 3128
Username: 10digitphone#$@mymetropcs.com
Password: metropcs
Server: wap.metropcs.net
MMSC: http://mms.metropcs.net:3128/mmsc
MMS Proxy: wap.metropcs.net
MMS Port: 3128
MCC: 310
MNC: 004
APN Type: MMS

Upvote 0
Okay so I checked my apn settings and this is what I have. (For parts not stated the info is empty)

Name: metropcs
APN: default
Server: *
MCC: 311
MNC: 66

Name: sktelecom
APN: default
Server: *
MCC: 001
MNC: 01

I don't know if maybe this will help? Changing your apn to these two. Also don't forget to press menu and save after inputing each apn and make sure a green light shows up, then fast reboot the phone.

Upvote 0
um guys i backed up my apn on metropcs's stock rom and its by 81 square if you download it from the market you can back up your apn so i was wondering if i backed up my apn would you guys be able to restore it with the app there is a restore option on there and i will be glad to give you guys the back up the app says its in a folder called ApnManager and the file name is ApnBackup.xml do you want me to upload the ApnManager folder on my sdcard? you would just have to put it on there then backup the apn settings using the app Apn Manager by 81 square im happy to help and i will do the update if i can get data working again so can someone test to see if this works?

Upvote 0
um guys i backed up my apn on metropcs's stock rom and its by 81 square if you download it from the market you can back up your apn so i was wondering if i backed up my apn would you guys be able to restore it with the app there is a restore option on there and i will be glad to give you guys the back up the app says its in a folder called ApnManager and the file name is ApnBackup.xml do you want me to upload the ApnManager folder on my sdcard? you would just have to put it on there then backup the apn settings using the app Apn Manager by 81 square im happy to help and i will do the update if i can get data working again so can someone test to see if this works?

just extract the zip to your sdcard then get the Apn Manager app by 81 Square just make sure its that one and yeah test it see if it works

Attachments

• Stock Apn.zip
    416 bytes · Views: 400
Upvote 0
I Think it more than the Apn.

For the second time I went to the same corporate office, and for the second time I had my phone replaced.

I printed out the Samsung site update image above and the letter I got from Samsung support.

They tried to restart the phone and to get the data working, when they couldn't they got me a new phone on the spot (for the second time in a week). and since it's under a month from purchase I paid them$0.0.

I tried everything from Apn to prl update to copying setting from QPST and that did not help, although I learned a lot going through that experience.

If you are going to return the phone do the following

1-start in recovery mode and erase and do factory restore
2-Download and apply the update again from Samsung (that will remove the root and return it to normal)
3-Copy your data from the SD card and format it.

Although this has nothing to do with ROOTING, but they might refuse to replace it if they see that you have root access.

Upvote 0
You shouldn't have updated to that version since is ONLY for generic phones like the description of says:

so yeah... not to be mean. but that notice was not there the warning wasn't there. it while under the updates for metro pcs. if you would look over our posts it would kinda show that.. the only reason it's there now is because we've been complaining to both sides to try and fix it. saddly that's the only thing that's happened so far as in a progress to fix this phone. Y_Y

Upvote 0
You shouldn't have updated to that version since is ONLY for generic phones like the description of says:

This warning was placed after I did my update to the phone and was one of my arguments while calling them. But still it was my mistake to rush the update from Samsung before it was officially approved by MetroPCS.

Reactions: Corootai
Upvote 0
This warning was placed after I did my update to the phone and was one of my arguments while calling them. But still it was my mistake to rush the update from Samsung before it was officially approved by MetroPCS.

yeah.. saddly i rushed mines to. i saw a update few others were talking about. and like a dumbass i desided to upgrade. if i would've held out abit longer i suppose i wouldn't be in this mess... but then again.. i kinda gave myself a reason to make the upgrade to the new phone so it kinda worked out i like to say.. but still i would like to see a fix for this so if i deside to give this phone to anyone they won't have the same problems i did.

Upvote 0
Disappointed to not see this being able to be fixed in QPST

Do we have the ability to save the config in QPST on the working phone - then upgrade - then flash back working QPST config?

(Looking at what "save" options there are in QPST now ...)

EDIT:

OK - looking at QPST it looks like we could try:
-Running QPST - Reading Phone from Service Programming Menu
-Saving from Service Programming Menu - Phone - Save to File
-Upgrading to latest Sammy Version
-Running QPST - Service Programming - Phone - Load from File (Open Saved QCN) ... Write to Phone

Only issue is it's difficult to test anything at this point without a default ROM to reflash after a failure (or did we get that and I missed it?)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones