• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Regarding the 2.3.6 Update & MetroPCS (Solved)

The good thing about updating the phone is no matter what you do you could always restore it with the update tool (since the update tool uses Odin)... I was running many tests on the phone that way.

I was able to pull all the original system files for MetroPCS 2.3.4.
After I decompile Mms.apk I found the metropcs mms connection settings there.

Search google for "decompile apk" download the program and the Mms.pak attached, decombile and explore.

the problem I am trying to work on is installing the Mms.pak to the Samsung admire, I change the setting on the Mms.pak from 2.3.6 to match that of the 2.3.4 but whenever I try to install It says that the app was not installed. (still trying to figure out why)

another app that has metroPCS setting embeded on it is the SettingsProvider.apk

I'll keep you guys updated if I manage to get the MMS and Data working.

: I also uploaded files that are in the system/etc that are suppose to contain fake APNs but are needed for the emulator
to talk to the network

Attachments

• Mms.zip
    189.2 KB · Views: 189
  • etc.zip
    2 KB · Views: 181
Upvote 0
The good thing about updating the phone is no matter what you do you could always restore it with the update tool (since the update tool uses Odin)... I was running many tests on the phone that way.

I was able to pull all the original system files for MetroPCS 2.3.4.
After I decompile Mms.apk I found the metropcs mms connection settings there.

Search google for "decompile apk" download the program and the Mms.pak attached, decombile and explore.

the problem I am trying to work on is installing the Mms.pak to the Samsung admire, I change the setting on the Mms.pak from 2.3.6 to match that of the 2.3.4 but whenever I try to install It says that the app was not installed. (still trying to figure out why)

another app that has metroPCS setting embeded on it is the SettingsProvider.apk

I'll keep you guys updated if I manage to get the MMS and Data working.

: I also uploaded files that are in the system/etc that are suppose to contain fake APNs but are needed for the emulator
to talk to the network

Most of this is too complicated for me to understand or have time to. But could you help me out with the starting paragraph that says the phone is restorable.

I'd like to be able to experiment with what I don't understand yet, but am constrained by not having a restore method.

Upvote 0
Most of this is too complicated for me to understand or have time to. But could you help me out with the starting paragraph that says the phone is restorable.

I'd like to be able to experiment with what I don't understand yet, but am constrained by not having a restore method.

!! Warning !! THIS IS ONLY FOR THOSE WHO UPGRADED TO 2.3.6, THIS UPGRADE WILL RENDER YOUR MMS AND DATA-SERVICE USELESS.

If you are from the ones who updated to 2.3.6, you should have the upgrade rom from Samsung, if not you could download it from here

This tool could restore your android phone even after modifying the system files. !! This will not restore any changes done by QPST or CMDA Workshop, Only Android OS System files !!

Reactions: ruh8nit
Upvote 0
Yes FiredragonNY, I am following that also.

Ok the Android Market for Admire 2.3.6 is fixed

1- Download the attached file
2- unzip it
3- Copy it to your SD card
4- Remove Vending.apk from system/app
5- move the new Vending.apk to system/app
6- Browse to it and install it.
7- Download & Install MarketEnabler
8- Select and keep holding on US provider (root access needed)
9- Restart your phone.

that should get the market to work. This files is the original pulled from Samsung Admire Android 2.3.4 and works fine with 2.3.6

I have added ES File Explorer (it's FREE and if you go to its setting and activate the root access along with changing the home directory to "/" you could do the file copying)

still trying to figure out MMS and Data-service

: I ran into some problems where it stops connecting :/

Attachments

• Vending.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 298
  • ES File Explorer_1.6.0.3.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 548
Reactions: FiredragonNY
Upvote 0
Yes FiredragonNY, I am following that also.

Ok the Android Market for Admire 2.3.6 is fixed

1- Download the attached file
2- unzip it
3- Copy it to your SD card
4-move it to system\app (over write current file)
5- Browse to it and install it.

that should get the market to work. This files is the original pulled from Samsung Admire Android 2.3.4 and works fine with 2.3.6

I have added ES File Explorer (it's FREE and if you go to its setting and activate the root access along with changing the home directory to "/" you could do the file copying)

still trying to figure out MMS and Data-service

: I ran into some problems where it stops connecting :/
If you ran into a problem in the previous e method in enabling the Android Market download this market enabler go to settings list keep holding into a us provider till you get the confirmation window.

Android market worked! Thank you GTK313

Upvote 0
I found something out. I did the one click root access on my phone again, LEt the app update the stuff (superuser,ect) and I updated Root Check basic and it worked!
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m131/jawsh1234/MYLO0699.jpg
jawsh1234

Upvote 0
Please Apply the QPST changes at the end of *this* post first.

Ok the Data Connection (3G) For Admire 2.3.6 is fixed

:) I was trying very hard with CMDA programing software and with the adb shell.... yet the solution was pretty simple

the things I did was done in random, therefore some of the steps may not be necessary (but they will not harm you either)

1-If you want to start with fresh 2.3.6 re-flash your phone.

2-Root your phone.

3- Turn off your WiFi

4- Fix the android market from the post above.

5- Go to the android market and download " " Network " By Philipp Mangelow (click here for direct link)

6- Run the App and in the "Set preferred network type:" Select CDMA auto (PRL). Tap Turn off radio wait about 5 seconds and turn radio ON

In the Wireless & networks-->Mobile networks: Check 3G data & Data roaming

note: my login name was xxx-xxx-xxxx@aaak.mymetropcs.com I modified
it (with QPST) before trying the previous method by removing the aaak and making my spc as my password... I am not sure if it is necessary or not.

This is an image for Android 2.3.6 MetroPCS with 3G
351zaxj.png

Now we just need to get the MMS working and than we will have a full 2.3.6 Android Copy ready for the MetroPCS phone.

Please give the programer of the App the rating you think he deserve, also leave a comment if you can.... this app also allows you to turn the cellphone signal off so your phone is off and the android OS is on... it is useful if you're doing something that can't be interrupted (such as taking a video)

Changing the Data connection user-name and password
1- Download QPST (Click here main site is slow) & Install.

2- Get your own SPC Number Click Here & Enter Your MEID. That will be your key to unlock the phone and your password. Your MEID could be found at Settings->About Phone->Status ... it's all numbers

3- Got to Start-->All Programs-->QPST-->QPST Configuration.

4- Select your phone from the list (the phone should be in Debug Mode).

5- If you don't see your phone Click on "Add New Port" uncheck "Show Serial ....blablabla" and select the port and add it.

6- With your phone selected go to Start Clients-->Service Programing. Select the phone and click OK.

7- If a dialog came up telling you to retry click on retry.

8- Click on "Read from Phone" you will be asked for your SPC number to unlock the phone and get its information.

**** BE REALLY CAREFUL AFTER THIS POINT YOU COULD MISS-UP YOUR SERVICE AND FLASHING YOUR PHONE WILL NOT RESTORE THESE SETTING... SO TAKE EXTRA CARE FROM THIS POINT ON***

9- Go to M.IP tab and select profile 0 and edit your user name remove the "aaak." just for the first row.

10- Go to PPP Config-->Um change the user name and insert your SPC as the password

11- Go to PPP Config-->An
change the user name and insert your SPC as the password

12- M.IP tab change the mobile ip behavior to: simple IP only (thanks to
oscarher4)

Write to Phone (the phone should restart by itself)

24wgcx4.png

Upvote 0
Baek215, thanks.

MMS for Admire 2.3.6 is fixed

1- Must have root access
2- Copy deodexed Mms.pak attached to SD card.
3- Delete
Mms.pak & Mms.odex from system/app
4- Copy
deodexed Mms.pak to system/app
5- Download system.zip and copy it to phone system folder
6- Restart Your Phone
6- Install "APN Settings Shortcut" from the market create a short cut for it and in its option click Reset to default.

for the "APN Settings Shortcut" you have to create the shortcut on the android screen by

holding an empty spot--->Shortcuts--->APN setting Shortcut

that will create a short cut for the APN setting, when you click on the shortcut a black screen will come up, click on the physical menu button on the phone, you will see an option to "Reset to default".
This will use the data in the etc folder (which is the original MetroPCS APN from 2.3.4), therefor make sure you copy the files first

I'm not sure but this deodexed Mms.pak might work with any android phone flashed to metroPCS not just Samsung Admire.

Special thanks to TheStericson for the video tutorial
Special thanks to Smali developers who made this possible
Special thanks to androidforums.com for the amazing community

Attachments

• Mms_Samsung_Admire_2.3.6.zip
    472.4 KB · Views: 659
  • system.zip
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,027
Upvote 0
ok, not sure what I'm doing wrong. But I have followed the instructions several times. Gotten nowhere. The android market will not let me download anything. I deleted the mms.apk and .odx or whatever it was and replaced mms.apk and went to install and said not installed.. I downloaded everything that's been attached to the posts and followed the instructions and still have no data, mms and can't download from market...

edit: has anyone thought of switching phones and switching back using *228 for the programming? I have a couple old Metro phones around. I could switch my number to one of them. Then switch back to my admire by calling *228
would that work?

Upvote 0
Alright, I'm about to dive in. I just flashed to 2.3.6; and I'll see what fixes I need and run them. So far I'm loving the new "boot screen." ;D Much better than that "MetroPCS, Wireless for All. HELLO HELLO HELLO" crap.

Market works with Market Enabler; can we fix the phone to work without M.E.?

Data and MMS won't work (I tried the steps above.) I'll try again later, but maybe I missed something..?

Upvote 0
Thanks for testing it guys.

gyclark I have modified the market setting and included the MarketeEnabler in the methods please review it and try it again.

SpawnHyuuga I'll re-flash the phone and try the settings for Data & MMS one more time and see If I missed something.

thanks one more time for testing this.

I tried your steps above again, and I got nothing. No data, no MMS. I get SMS (I received a text, but I was unable to download the image), and I'm fairly sure I can make calls; but now this limits me to just my Wi-Fi unless I can fix it. I have to pay my bill in a few days, so maybe I can just replace it.

Upvote 0
Alright, I'm about to dive in. I just flashed to 2.3.6; and I'll see what fixes I need and run them. So far I'm loving the new "boot screen." ;D Much better than that "MetroPCS, Wireless for All. HELLO HELLO HELLO" crap.

Data and MMS won't work (I tried the steps above.) I'll try again later, but maybe I missed something..?[/QUOTE

I am also having trouble with Data. I haven't tried the MMS yet. I download the Network app. Disabled WiFi. Clicked on Network app. In "Set preferred network type" I picked CDMA auto (PRL). and press update. Nothing seems to happen.

Is there a step I am missing because as I press the update button the SMSC:_____ box highlighted. Does something go inside that box?

Upvote 0

Data and MMS won't work (I tried the steps above.) I'll try again later, but maybe I missed something..?[/QUOTE

I am also having trouble with Data. I haven't tried the MMS yet. I download the Network app. Disabled WiFi. Clicked on Network app. In "Set preferred network type" I picked CDMA auto (PRL). and press update. Nothing seems to happen.

Is there a step I am missing because as I press the update button the SMSC:_____ box highlighted. Does something go inside that box?

I thought SMSC was supposed to be your phone's service code; which I tried and supposedly it appeared to work - but I still don't get Data.

Upvote 0
what is the user name you have for the data connection....
you get this by going to

Setting--->About Phone--->Status--->User Name

<xxxyyyzzzz@aaak.mymetropcs.com>

In other words my phone number. I believe you mentioned changing this in QPST. What exact program do I need, or rather how do I change it? I've forced my PRL before, so I'm not a total n00b.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones