• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Regarding the 2.3.6 Update & MetroPCS (Solved)

Let me ask you guys a question. What was the original (first) network type displayed in the Network App before changing it.

I was trying the app and did not pay attention when I was trying to rotate between the network selection (I did not even expect that this will fix my data connection!)

Upvote 0
Let me ask you guys a question. What was the original (first) network type displayed in the Network App before changing it.

I was trying the app and did not pay attention when I was trying to rotate between the network selection (I did not even expect that this will fix my data connection!)

In the 'Network' app i dont remember but now that i am looking at it, the ping IpAddrs: is empty, from the Network app; it has nothing maybe thats why it wont work

Upvote 0
In the 'Network' app i dont remember but now that i am looking at it, the ping IpAddrs: is empty, from the Network app; it has nothing maybe thats why it wont work

Although the change that triggered the 3g network was GSM/CDMA auto(PRL) it is now changed to (Unknown) and refuses to change back, but still the 3G Data Network is still active.

Upvote 0
I'll reflash 2.3.6 tomorrow, and repeat the steps posting my results. I have a Titanium Backup of my 2.3.4 apps and data, so maybe I can go back. Otherwise, I'll try to exchange with METROPCS. My last option would be switching carriers, which is something I've been considering.

Am I the only one who upon dragging down the Notification Bar it says my Network /Provider is 'Home'?

Upvote 0
I'll reflash 2.3.6 tomorrow, and repeat the steps posting my results. I have a Titanium Backup of my 2.3.4 apps and data, so maybe I can go back. Otherwise, I'll try to exchange with METROPCS. My last option would be switching carriers, which is something I've been considering.

Am I the only one who upon dragging down the Notification Bar it says my Network /Provider is 'Home'?

Mine also says home but what's weird is that in the setting under phone status it says mobkle network state disconnected..
Changing carrier sounds good but which one and will tha anable the market, internet, and tethering.

Upvote 0
Please Apply the QPST changes at the end of *this* post first.

Ok the Data Connection (3G) For Admire 2.3.6 is fixed

:) I was trying very hard with CMDA programing software and with the adb shell.... yet the solution was pretty simple

the things I did was done in random, therefore some of the steps may not be necessary (but they will not harm you either)

1-If you want to start with fresh 2.3.6 re-flash your phone.

2-Root your phone.

3- Turn off your WiFi

4- Fix the android market from the post above.

5- Go to the android market and download " " Network " By Philipp Mangelow (click here for direct link)

6- Run the App and in the "Set preferred network type:" Select CDMA auto (PRL). Tap Turn off radio wait about 5 seconds and turn radio ON

In the Wireless & networks-->Mobile networks: Check 3G data & Data roaming

note: my login name was xxx-xxx-xxxx@aaak.mymetropcs.com I modified
it (with QPST) before trying the previous method by removing the aaak and making my spc as my password... I am not sure if it is necessary or not.

This is an image for Android 2.3.6 MetroPCS with 3G
351zaxj.png

Now we just need to get the MMS working and than we will have a full 2.3.6 Android Copy ready for the MetroPCS phone.

Please give the programer of the App the rating you think he deserve, also leave a comment if you can.... this app also allows you to turn the cellphone signal off so your phone is off and the android OS is on... it is useful if you're doing something that can't be interrupted (such as taking a video)

Changing the Data connection user-name and password
1- Download QPST (Click here main site is slow) & Install.

2- Get your own SPC Number Click Here & Enter Your MEID. That will be your key to unlock the phone and your password. Your MEID could be found at Settings->About Phone->Status ... it's all numbers

3- Got to Start-->All Programs-->QPST-->QPST Configuration.

4- Select your phone from the list (the phone should be in Debug Mode).

5- If you don't see your phone Click on "Add New Port" uncheck "Show Serial ....blablabla" and select the port and add it.

6- With your phone selected go to Start Clients-->Service Programing. Select the phone and click OK.

7- If a dialog came up telling you to retry click on retry.

8- Click on "Read from Phone" you will be asked for your SPC number to unlock the phone and get its information.

**** BE REALLY CAREFUL AFTER THIS POINT YOU COULD MISS-UP YOUR SERVICE AND FLASHING YOUR PHONE WILL NOT RESTORE THESE SETTING... SO TAKE EXTRA CARE FROM THIS POINT ON***

9- Go to M.IP tab and select profile 0 and edit your user name remove the "aaak." just for the first row.

10- Go to PPP Config-->Um change the user name and insert your SPC as the password

11- Go to PPP Config-->An
change the user name and insert your SPC as the password

Write to Phone (the phone should restart by itself)

24wgcx4.png

For everyone that updated their Samsung Admire to 2.3.6 and it messed up the data..

Okay so i finally fix my phone. I have the new update you guys 2.3.6 and i am just going to say that i am complete new at this. I dont exactly now what i did but i follow GT313, and now i have full internet access with mms.
the only thing i did difference is that..
in the M.IP tab change the mobile ip behavior to: simple IP only
then i ran the Network app from the this forum set it to CDMA auto (PRL) and ran it and done. You get your internet with market and full mms

Ps; you do not need to root your phone all the apps were download from here

Reactions: GTK313
Upvote 0
For everyone that updated their Samsung Admire to 2.3.6 and it messed up the data..

Okay so i finally fix my phone. I have the new update you guys 2.3.6 and i am just going to say that i am complete new at this. I dont exactly now what i did but i follow GT313, and now i have full internet access with mms.
then i ran the Network app from the this forum set it to CDMA auto (PRL) and ran it and done. You get your internet with market and full mms

Oscar.... thank you, bro. You just fixed my phone. :D Many thanks to GTK as well, because 2.3.6 is a MAJOR improvement over 2.3.4. I still find it hilarious that neither Metro nor Samsung can give up this upgrade, and yet now we have two amateur (I apologize if this offends you, I can select a different word if you'd like) programmers/users fix the damn settings so that we can have the upgrade! :D

Also Gelige, I'm sorry if I came across as rude. I didn't have much room to talk since I was in the Data/MMS boat, so I'm really sorry about that.

EDIT: With this fix it also appears that you no longer need Market Enabler. What about the other apps? I'd personally like to Factory Reset to 2.3.6 again, and start populating my phone with my old apps, but I need to know the apps I have to keep and such.

Upvote 0
Oscar.... thank you, bro. You just fixed my phone. :D Many thanks to GTK as well, because 2.3.6 is a MAJOR improvement over 2.3.4. I still find it hilarious that neither Metro nor Samsung can give up this upgrade, and yet now we have two amateur (I apologize if this offends you, I can select a different word if you'd like) programmers/users fix the damn settings so that we can have the upgrade! :D

Also Gelige, I'm sorry if I came across as rude. I didn't have much room to talk since I was in the Data/MMS boat, so I'm really sorry about that.

EDIT: With this fix it also appears that you no longer need Market Enabler. What about the other apps? I'd personally like to Factory Reset to 2.3.6 again, and start populating my phone with my old apps, but I need to know the apps I have to keep and such.

:) to be honest with you this is the first time for me to play around with cellphone technology, so yes I am amateur at this and hope that this experience will help me improve on the Mobile skills.

The other apps (which could be found here) are not deodexed which mean we can't just copy them to the 2.3.6 (it has some relation to other files for security and speeding up boot process).

The post solving the MMS problem has links to videos and tutorial on how to deodexed any app just make sure you have to place the "framework" folder in the same folder the app you're trying to deodexed (that was the only way I was able to avoid java errors.)

I am not sure if there is a deodexed apps for mertoPCS, or if they will work with our phone.

Upvote 0
Data Working: CHECK
MMS Receive: CHECK
MMS Sending: I have to check this in a bit...

This seems to be fully functional now. Do we have to keep the "Network" or "APN Shortcut" apps now?

for the network I did not have to re-install it even after re-flashing the phone... I just have to do it once.

APN Shortcut is just a short cut to the APN system setting, there is no need for it unless you decide to re-flash the phone (when you re-flash the phones the apps are not removed )

Upvote 0
OMG!! Dude,, THANKS to you I just UNBRICKED my Metro Admire!!!lol... it started out so innocent ,,, ya right,, just wanted to get rid of the bloatware ,, who knew taking out the stock calender would BRicK my phone. glad that's over, I've tried non stop for 2 weeks to fix this, I TRUELY Appreciate all your work on the codeing you have done, I now have an awsome phone that runs BETTER than it did out of the box! oh and it's really nice that i don't have to unlock my phone to turn off the alarm!!lol

Upvote 0
OMG!! Dude,, THANKS to you I just UNBRICKED my Metro Admire!!!lol... it started out so innocent ,,, ya right,, just wanted to get rid of the bloatware ,, who knew taking out the stock calender would BRicK my phone. glad that's over, I've tried non stop for 2 weeks to fix this, I TRUELY Appreciate all your work on the codeing you have done, I now have an awsome phone that runs BETTER than it did out of the box! oh and it's really nice that i don't have to unlock my phone to turn off the alarm!!lol

I really glad that it worked for you MatrixCodeNeo

Upvote 0
Be Careful

I did something wrong in following the directions, and now,
my phone is no longer restarting. Its taking a really long time, on the same Samsung boot images

If the Samsung boot image is taking to long to boot than you have a boot loop (this happens if the boot check is missing something, in our case deleting Mms.apk without deleting Mms.odex)

To solve your problem you have to re-flash your phone again with the 2.3.6 update and make sure to delete both files for the MMS.

to re-flash the phone turn off the phone, plug in the USB and keep holding the camera button, when the Odin Recovery Mode comes up press "Volume Up" and run the 2.3.6 Update.

Upvote 0

Got Data to work!!! done it several times now and this time it worked.. The only thing different was changing ip behavior.. Thanks to both of you guys for everything!! Now for Market and MMS...
edit: Market works... Slowly without wifi though. For some reason when I set my provider to TMOBILE it wouldn't work.. So I faked to Verizon and now the market works..
did everything for mms again .. Still doesn't work.. When I went to system/app there was no mms.odex file.. i just deleted the .apk
I'm so close and don't want to give up... I copied the mms.apk to app folder then the etc folder and build.prop to system and downloaded apn.. reset it and still not able to send or receive... is there something I did wrong?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones