• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Regarding the 2.3.6 Update & MetroPCS (Solved)

OK, let me write an update before going to sleep.

From the previous article in the previous post (assuming no one will submit a post before I do) I got an idea of where the information that we need to edit are.

they are some properties values stored in "/dev/block/stl9"

those prop in that block contains the information that "Market Enabler" Alters and they come in 3 flavors.

gsm or gsm.sim or cdma

the values we try to change are the following (I tried with super user access but could not do it,.... but I'm still trying)

The default values that are in the phone when updating to 2.3.6 are the following

Code:
[gsm.operator.alpha]: [Home]
[gsm.operator.numeric]: [13438]
[gsm.operator.iso-country]: []
you could check this by typing the command

getprop (by adb from your PC or you could download a Terminal Emulator from the market *Free*)

The way to do it is to set the permission of the file after getting the super user access

Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount -t rfs /dev/block/stl9 /system
after that... it's just setting the values of the prop with the command setprop

Code:
setprop gsm.operator.alpha MetroPcs
setprop gsm.operator.numeric 720667
setprop gsm.operator.iso-country us
note that the operator numeric is the same number we have at "system\etc\apns-conf.xml" and that is the file we call whenever we reset the APN to default.

and what happen is that we have to different numbers (that suppose to be the same) one in the APN and one in gsm.operator.numeric

there is a post here that has similar setting but for sprint (I gave it a shot but did not get it)

Sprint to US Cellular with Epic - Page 2 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

If any of you guys have spare time please try and see if you could change the values (this way we have both MMS and Market working at the same time) you could download Terminal Emulator from the market and use it no need to install any software at your PC.

Upvote 0
I just thought I would share with everyone the results from my hours of frustration.

I ended up using the vending.apk that came with the 2.3.6 update, but still installed market enabler. Then instead of choosing one of the pre-selected US venders, I clicked on Set Custom. I then deleted all the garbage in the box and put in MetroPCS's # which is without quotes "310027", and the market then worked.

Hope this helps other users as well.

Upvote 0
I just thought I would share with everyone the results from my hours of frustration.

I ended up using the vending.apk that came with the 2.3.6 update, but still installed market enabler. Then instead of choosing one of the pre-selected US venders, I clicked on Set Custom. I then deleted all the garbage in the box and put in MetroPCS's # which is without quotes "310027", and the market then worked.

The problem we having is, after updating with market enabler sending MMS becomes disable. Did the MMS work in your case after you entered the code (for some reason it does not work for me)

Upvote 0
So GTK, it looks like the only things /NOT/ fixed within the update of 2.3.6 for our Admire's is:

> A permanent Android Market Fix (i.e. NO Market Enabler)
as well as...
> Improper Carrier in Notifications Bar (Home, not MetroPCS)

EDIT: I had Data running, but I redid the steps anyways, as well as following up with the steps for MMS (since it wasn't working); I'll post how it turns out, and then I'll try restoring Adobe Flash to my device.

EDIT II: I dun goofed somewhere. Now when I coped MMS.apk to my 'System/Apps' folder it somehow uninstalled Messenger (the Android 2.3.6) and now it won't install. Dammit, so close!

Upvote 0

Hey it did work for me thanks. Is it permanent though? do you know how to fix mms

Upvote 0
Update: After changing the Permissions on the MMS.apk it is "installed" again, but I still don't get MMS. Was there any other minor changes anybody might have done somewhere? I'm almost 99.9% sure I did everything right this time.

after copying the attached system folder content restart the phone, than do APN reset to default after that you should be able to send and receive MMS.

If you use the market enabler after that to download some apps you need to restart the phone and apply the APN reset to default (every time you use market enabler)

Upvote 0
Appreciate everyones hard work, especially GTK313, but was unable to get anything to
work. Since Metro PCS still had the Admire on sale, I purchased another one and reflashed
the original one to 2.3.6 and removed all personal info. Going to put it on Craigslist as most
cell providers do not use sim cards anymore. Happy Holidays to everyone!

Upvote 0
I was thinking Camera.odex, but I fixed my problem. I goofed somwhere in my Build.prop (Tried to edit it so that the Market would think it was a Galaxy S.) Thank you much, anyway!

Glad its working. I tried to upload the Camera.odex, but it was not allowed. I thought a work around would be to zip it, but was going to wait for clarification.

And - reading this, makes me think I should try to understand what the build.prop does..

Upvote 0
Build.prop has some basic properties about your phone and Android version. Through tweaking you can fool the Market into thinking you have a different phone or you can change certain values to speed up your phone. (There was once a thread for Build.prop tweaks here, but you can likely find it on XDA somewhere.

I compared the two build.prop files in meld to see the difference between the 2.3.6 and 2.3.4 versions.

I noticed that the in two lines with a class or variable like sales country code, that the 2.3.4 had the value of MTR (which I assume to be Metro) and it was different in 2.3.6

Is it dangerous to change the line in the 2.3.6 version?

Upvote 0
Alright, so with my Internet travels, I recently discovered a site some of us may or may not know about. For any aspiring programmers this is THE SOURCE CODE to the Samsung Admire. In the search bar just type SCH-R720 and if you actually want to do anything obviously grab the METROPCS version.

https://opensource.samsung.com/

I apologize if you all knew of this site, but I will be at least looking at the source code myself because I would like to help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones