• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Regarding the 2.3.6 Update & MetroPCS (Solved)

First off i'd like to say that I find this update useless. I haven't found any reason worth updating this phone and going through all the upset of things messing up. Bloatware or metro crap apps can be easily erased, after all it's an android, once rooted and given superuser privileges you con do anything, but the admire wasn't made strong enough for everything. Try putting a custom rom... You can't, have fun bricking your phone. Admire was made to be a cheap smartphone just for socializing with FB, Tweet, ect. so leave it alone, the phone is like $40 now, I think that says it all. Don't get me wrong I like the admire and i've done what I can to customize it with what's available, which is plenty. My phone, thanks to different launcher apps and devs dedicated to making apps to help make your phone "your phone", have let me trick out and unique my phone to my liking, so stick with that or buy a better phone... And for those who want to uninstall those crap apps that can't be uninstalled, root your phone, get superuser, and download root uninstaller, free or paid(paid lets you freeze apps that run in background taking up rom like maps) and uninstall all the crap you want plus it lets you back up every app you uninstall just in case. So screw the update, we'll probably never get 1 for the non generic admires.

Attachments

• wgoyb.png
    wgoyb.png
    224.1 KB · Views: 176
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It was under SPECIAL promotion $59, Now it's back to $100(+tax) + Activation FEE

It's the SECOND most expensive phone in the 3G Android phones in MetroPCS, and compare to the newest 4G phone Samsung Attain it's 1/2 the price

Soon with the CM7 completed it will be one of the hottest low priced phones out there.

That's really all it needs to become great. I bought mine for $100 and wasn't sure about it, but man for the price it's beyond a great deal and that CM7 will bring it to life. 3G metro is eh, it works, but nowadays wi fi is everywhere so it ain't that bad. I'm a metro pcs guy I've never had a problem since 2008 so cheap but worthy phone with cheap unlimited plan is my way, just needs better internal memory. All in all great for just about anything, highly recommend for first time users of droid or smartphones, but like all technology, we'll have to forget about it soon. Just hope that cm7 kicks up before it becomes too old, real soon....

Upvote 0
can someone please please please help me? my email is jakecoles55@hotmail.com and my facebook is Jake Coles, i have a pic of me and my gf.
no matter what rom i install, stock, stock++, monster5, monster4, admire beast, any one ive tried all do the exact same thing, they just play the last boot screen over and over and the phone won't start, I'm freakin out cuz i just got this phone today and i didn't know what a nandroid backup was until after this started :'( please, someone help. I'm gonna post this in as many places as i can find, please don't mark as spam! I need help!

Upvote 0
yes firedragonny, i am following that also.

ok the android market for admire 2.3.6 is fixed

1- download the attached file
2- unzip it
3- copy it to your sd card
4- remove vending.apk from system/app
5- move the new vending.apk to system/app
6- browse to it and install it.
7- download & install marketenabler
8- select and keep holding on us provider (root access needed)
9- restart your phone.

That should get the market to work. This files is the original pulled from samsung admire android 2.3.4 and works fine with 2.3.6

i have added es file explorer (it's free and if you go to its setting and activate the root access along with changing the home directory to "/" you could do the file copying)

still trying to figure out mms and data-service

: I ran into some problems where it stops connecting :/

im stuck after restarting the phone. I open the market and "sorry! The application market(process com.android.vending) had stopped unexpectedly.

Upvote 0
I'm in a desperate need for help. I rooted my metropcs Samsung admire and I was using the application clockworkmod and I downloaded the rom cyanogen and I went reboot and install the app and my phone never rebooted and now it won't turn on, I've tried the hard reset buttons and no luck, any other suggestions?

Upvote 0
I'm in a desperate need for help. I rooted my metropcs Samsung admire and I was using the application clockworkmod and I downloaded the rom cyanogen and I went reboot and install the app and my phone never rebooted and now it won't turn on, I've tried the hard reset buttons and no luck, any other suggestions?

ive got good news, and bad news ..
the good news is, i just saved $586.78 a year by switching my car insurance to Geico!

the bad news is you've bricked your phone.

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=489253

http://androidforums.com/admire-all-things-root/552372-samsung-admire-rom-collection-all-one-stop-admire-aka-rom-gathering.html

http://androidforums.com/admire-all-things-root/488848-odin-clockworkmod-recovery-not-compatible-rom-manager-yet.html

http://androidforums.com/admire-all-things-root/582981-bricked.html

http://androidforums.com/introductions/579821-all-things-bricked.html

you shouldve really read the warnings on the forum. (tbh i think we need a sticky devoted to the issues with rom manager.) *hint hint* (mods)

what happened was that rom you flashed didnt flash right because the app is not compatible with the admire yet, think of 2 doors, the first 1 leads to places you want to go, the 3rd is a dark alley that may have arse bandits innit.
instead of you following the gps navigation thru the first 1, you took a shortcut and went thru the 2nd.

( Samsung usually has arm-boot on 8 and recovery on 10.
You flash recovery on armboot and you get a brick since it is a bootloader file )

in short, you're fudged.
you can try odin - if you can get it to work youre good, most dont though.

sorry to rain a crapstorm on your day..

Upvote 0
Cyanogenmod 7.2 With Android 2.3.7 (Multi Lingual) BETA Is Available for Samsung Admire (here)
Download all you need for this update here

IF YOU WANT TO RETURN TO THE ORIGINAL METROPCS STOCK 2.3.4 CLICK HERE
OR HERE

IF YOU WANT WORKING CUSTOM ROM DOWNLOAD ODIN+OPS FOR ADMIRE AND THE CUSTOM ROM .... YOU WILL ALSO NEED THE CWM INSTALLED TO INSTALL THE ROM

For Anyone Who updated to 2.3.6 Samsung Admire Android OS (Click here to download) These are the fixes for the Data, MMS & Market.

::: Please note that fixing the Market with "Market Enabler" will disable MMS service .. until APN are restored and you can't have both of them running at the same time. ::: (old)

(NEW) :: With the upgrade to the of the "Market" to the "Play Store" there was no need for me to start or use Market enabler, I Only used it once to update from the "Market" to the "Play Store"

After that I was able to send and receive MMS messages along with downloading apps at the same time. :: (END NEW)

::>> To view the list of changes for 2.3.4 to 2.3.6 click here

Fixing Data Service

** Root your phone, Click Here ***

1- Download QPST (Free Software, Click Here)

2- Get your own SPC Number Click Here & Enter Your MEID. That will be your key to unlock the phone and your password. Your MEID could be found at Settings->About Phone->Status ... it's all numbers

3- Got to Start-->All Programs-->QPST-->QPST Configuration.

4- Select your phone from the list (the phone should be in Debug Mode).

5- If you don't see your phone Click on "Add New Port" uncheck "Show Serial ....blablabla" and select the port and add it.

6- With your phone selected go to Start Clients-->Service Programing. Select the phone and click OK.

7- If a dialog came up telling you to retry click on retry.

8- Click on "Read from Phone" you will be asked for your SPC number to unlock the phone and get its information.

**** BE REALLY CAREFUL AFTER THIS POINT YOU COULD MISS-UP YOUR SERVICE AND FLASHING YOUR PHONE WILL NOT RESTORE THESE SETTING... SO TAKE EXTRA CARE FROM THIS POINT ON***

9- Go to M.IP tab and select profile 0 and edit your user name remove the "aaak." just for the first row.

10- Go to PPP Config-->Um change the user name (Your Phone#@mymetropcs.com) and insert your SPC as the password

11- Go to PPP Config-->An change the user name (Your Phone#@mymetropcs.com) and insert your SPC as the password

12- M.IP tab change the mobile ip behavior to: simple IP only (thanks to oscarher4)

Write to Phone (the phone should restart by itself)

13- Download "Network" Click Here, and install it.

14- Turn off your WiFi

15- Run the App and in the "Set preferred network type:" Select CDMA auto (PRL). Tap Turn off radio wait about 5 seconds and turn radio ON.

16-Make Sure Toggle DNS check is "Allowed"

24wgcx4.png

Fixing Android Market.

1- Download Market MarketAccess(Click Here) & Install
2- Choose one of the US provider or insert 720667 for MetroPCS
3- When the "Market" is updated to "Play Store" you don't need to use MarketAccess anymore

Fixing MMS (Send & Receive)
1- Download and place these files into the system folder (click here) you could use ES File explorer (Free Click Here To Download)... go to its setting and activate the root access along with changing the home directory to "/" you could do the file copying
2- From "System/app/" Delete (Mms.pak & Mms.odex) and copy Mms.pak to the System/app, than restart the phone.
3- Download & Install "APN Settings Shortcut"
4- Place a shortcut for the "APN Settings Shortcut" on one of your desktops
5- Restart your phone.
6- Run the "APN Settings Shortcut" and push on the menu button and choose "Reset to defaults"

Now you should be able to send and receive MMS messages.

after fixing the MMS the market will not work, until it has been updated to "Play Store"

Older Information are hidden click below to view them
*** ANYONE WHO UPDATED PLEASE TEST THEM FIXES ***

The method was tested by the following users (As of 12/19/2011): oscarher4 gyclark MatrixCodeNeo SpawnHyuuga GTK313

For the Android Market repair click here

For the Data Service repair 3G click here

For MMS Repair click here

Samsung Admire Generic Update 2.3.6
**UPDATE AT YOUR OWN RISK I NOR ANYONE ELSE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOST OR DAMAGE... WE'LL TRY OUR BEST TO HELP YOU**

ALL THE FILES YOU NEED (THAT ARE SCATTERED ALL AROUND THE POSTS) ARE HERE IN ONE FILE TO MAKE LIFE EASIER

Original post content are hidden click below to view them
I had updated my Samsung Admire to the latest android system 2.3.6 which made me lost the MetroPCS Apps(no big deal), the Internet & MMS. Although the phone is much faster than before the Data service might be useful in some times.

The update of the 2.3.6 was under the MetroPCS download section

2rdeqep.png

I contacted Samsung and got the following reply.

As the Samsung technical support said

"In regard with your concern, configuring the MMS and internet connection are something which is configured by the Service Provider by having the configuration settings for these kind of services. This is not a setting
which can be configured on the phone itself as it is part of the network services by your provider"

My question here has anyone contact MetroPCS and was able to get the right settings for the Internet & MMS?

my phone cant seem to be found in the qpst no matter how many times i try , is there another way cause im tired of not having data enabled ?

Upvote 0
these steps are to complicated for me lol

Simply put here's an easier way. Flash cwm 5.0.2.8 if you don't already have it. Download suigintoulain's recovery zip in the OP, flash it through cwm and then reboot recovery, next put the backup in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup now just go down to backup and restore and restore the backup

Upvote 0
okay does your computer recognize the phone when its plugged in? if your computer sees it then you can go into the computers device manager and see which com have the usb connection and then add it to qpst, the program doesnt automatically show al ports thats why you add it if it doesnt show. have you you tried reinstalling the drivers for the phone on the computer? is the cable bad? samsung cables tend to break easy

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones