• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Regarding the dont factory wipe 2.1 sticky.

I'll try this and post results when I get home. Heading home now from work. :)

sounds good. i was talking to our dev team at work and they are shocked that something like this will be happening. a reset should not change anything on the phone to where it wont work unless they had to do a custom install or setup at VZW before you got your phone to work with you account. and if they did that then they should be able to fix it because it would be a known issuse. did you order your phone online or did you get it from a store?

Upvote 0
While sitting at a red light on my way home I decided to go to ##778 and see if there are any settigns that look wrong (to my untrained some what technical eyes). This whole time I believed it had to be a setting issue and not the phone. So this is what I did.

##778
Edit Mode
000000 <ok>
M.IP Defaul Profile
NAI (changed to my cellphone number with including area code @vzw3g.com. I noticed it had 0000008472@vzw3g.com and that was the number I changed earlier in the MND, MIN1, MIN2 In the NAM settings)
DUN NAI (changed to my cellphone number with area code @dun.vzw3g.com. It had the same number 0000008472 before the @dun.vzw3g.com like above)
Menu
Commit Modification
it will reboot in 10 seconds and then after 30 seconds to a minute my 3g was working again.

As an FYI, after my master reset originally I lost all radio ability, no incoming or out going calls or data. When I called tech support they directed me to the ##778 menu and NAM Settings and changed the below:

Mobile Directory Number (MDN) to my cellphone including areacode (0000008472 was there after the reset)

MIN1 (changed to my cell without the areacode 0008472 was there after reset)

MIN2 (changed to areacode only 000 was there after reset)

Menu

Commit Motifications

After reboot the tech had me go back and check to see that True MIN1, True MIN2 and True IMSI_S (phone number with areacode) all changed to match what I changed in the MDN, MIN1, MIN2 above and it did not change like it should have so I had to manually change those to match the above settings.

Go back to the first screen after ##778

Home SID/Home NID

Home SID/NID#1 (changed from 2004/65535 to 42/65535)

Menu

Commit Modification
Reboot in 10 seconds

So with all those changes after a factory reset my phone is now working with 3g as well as inbound and outbound calls.

I am going to keep these steps in the event I have to do any other factory resets I know what I need to do to get my phone back up and running.

GAUG3, I hope this helps. Let me know if it works for you.

Now what do I do with the replacement phone that is coming tomorrow? I don't want it now that my phone is working.

Upvote 0
While sitting at a red light on my way home I decided to go to ##778 and see if there are any settigns that look wrong (to my untrained some what technical eyes). This whole time I believed it had to be a setting issue and not the phone. So this is what I did.

##778
Edit Mode
000000 <ok>
M.IP Defaul Profile
NAI (changed to my cellphone number with including area code @vzw3g.com. I noticed it had 0000008472@vzw3g.com and that was the number I changed earlier in the MND, MIN1, MIN2 In the NAM settings)
DUN NAI (changed to my cellphone number with area code @dun.vzw3g.com. It had the same number 0000008472 before the @dun.vzw3g.com like above)
Menu
Commit Modification
it will reboot in 10 seconds and then after 30 seconds to a minute my 3g was working again.

As an FYI, after my master reset originally I lost all radio ability, no incoming or out going calls or data. When I called tech support they directed me to the ##778 menu and NAM Settings and changed the below:

Mobile Directory Number (MDN) to my cellphone including areacode (0000008472 was there after the reset)

Menu

Commit Motifications

After reboot the tech had me go back and check to see that True MIN1, True MIN2 and True IMSI_S (phone number with areacode) all changed to match what I changed in the MDN, MIN1, MIN2 above and it did not change like it should have so I had to manually change those to match the above settings.

Home SID/Home NID

Menu

Commit Modification
Reboot in 10 seconds

So with all those changes after a factory reset my phone is now working with 3g as well as inbound and outbound calls.

I am going to keep these steps in the event I have to do any other factory resets I know what I need to do to get my phone back up and running.

Now what do I do with the replacement phone that is coming tomorrow? I don't want it now that my phone is working.

my Home SID/NID#1 40/65535

but everything else is like you said.

Upvote 0
my Home SID/NID#1 40/65535

but everything else is like you said.

Not sure what the that first number represents it could be different based on your location. I know 42 works for me as that is what the VZW tech gave me.

I'm glad my phone is working. Now I have the joy of setting it all back up and downloading all my apps (less FB, which cause all this drama to begin with).

Upvote 0

##778
Edit Mode
000000 <ok>
M.IP Defaul Profile
Menu
Commit Modification

Menu

Commit Motifications

Home SID/Home NID

Menu

Commit Modification
Reboot in 10 seconds

i "tip" the post so hopefully they see it and make it a sticky for everyone. as for the "extra" phone. just send it back as you would have done with your orginal phone and they will put it back into stock. just make sure you tell a CSR. or they might be able to catch it at the depot and re rought it. (i used to work for a freight forwarder)

Upvote 0
Not sure what the that first number represents it could be different based on your location. I know 42 works for me as that is what the VZW tech gave me.

I'm glad my phone is working. Now I have the joy of setting it all back up and downloading all my apps (less FB, which cause all this drama to begin with).

what happend in the first place to make you reset the phone if you dont mind me asking.

Upvote 0
what happend in the first place to make you reset the phone if you dont mind me asking.

Below is my original post from Android Central forums Strange stuff all around - Android Central Forums I was directed here as another forum member had read this thread here.

I have had my Inc since May 27th with absolutely no issues at all and in that time I had downloaded a decent number of apps. Some of the apps I kept and some I uninstalled. My 1750 Seido battery typically last me 15 - 20 hours depending on my usage and I had no issues at all with it until Saturday.

On Friday I decided to download Launcher Pro and Beautiful Widgets and I set my phone up and really like the way Launcher Pro looked. I noticed late Saturday night / early Sunday morning that the people in my contact record that were my FB friends as well had multiple records, some with 10 or more records. I didn't see the multiple records in the people contact (as I don't have the check mark to show FB contacts) but I noticed it when I opened a person record and select the "link" in the upper right corner and in there was a list (10 or more) of contact records for that person all from FB and one from Google (which should be there). I remembered there was an issue with the last update from FB and I did do the update after they whole battery drain issue but I decided to uninstall FB so that it would get rid of all of the extra contact records. When I did that and went to open the people application my phone froze for a few minutes and then Launcher Pro message came up saying that it could not finish the request and gave the option to force close or wait. So then I tried to open Handcent and the same thing happened. I also selected "phone" to bring up the dialer which also will bring up my contacts and again got the same response as above, the launcher pro message saying that it could not finish the request and asked to force close or wait. (I selected wait a few times but kept getting the message so I had to just force close).

At this point anything I tried to open that pulled info from the "people" application would not open. I was able to surf the net, check mail (I never checked if I could compose new mail and if typing a contact name would bring up their info or not). I shut the phone off several times during this process as well.

So I figured at this point my people app was corrupt. So I tried to go to accounts and sync and remove my google account in hopes that when I reestablish it all my contacts would come back and possibly correct whatever issue I have. When I tried remove my google account I received a message that this could be done by a master reset. I didn't want to mess with that at the time so I stopped messing with the phone and went to bed. Sunday when i got up I did a restore to factory and during the set up process when I entered my google accout and the phone tried to pull down my contact info via 3G I recevied an error saying Mobile network is down try again later or switch to wifi. I was able to restore my google contacts via my wifi but when I tried to pull data via 3g i couldn't. Now my contact records are back and the people app is working as well as the message app and the dialer will open. I have no idea if i was having this issue before the factory reset because when I'm at home my phone is on wifi. The reason I noticed this is after I did the factory reset during the set up process it tries to pull your google contact records via 3g first.

So essentially my contact records are fixed now and I can make a call since the dial pad will pull up now and I can text message but I can't get on the internet.

I called Verizon support on Sunday and talked to tech support and they worked with me for about an hour trying to get my mobile network working on my phone but was unsuccessful.

So they ordered me a replacement Inc and had it sent overnight and since it was Sunday I'll get it tomorrow (Tuesday). I have no clue what would have caused my mobile network to just stop working like that and I wish I would have noticed if it wasn't working before I did the factory reset or not. I know I did use mobile newtork Saturday night when I surfed the web and checked FB while I was out that evening but when I got home it switched to wifi.

I hope the replacement Inc is one that got quality checked and not one that got rushed through.

Upvote 0
The Verizon Tech I talked to yesterday said that with the former Alltel people they have to program the phones a special way and that's why I had to go to ##778 and fix the MDN, MIN1, MIN2 because the factory default doesn't do it automatically for the Alltel users. But they were stumped as to why the mobile network didn't come back.

Are you in FL?

I'm in AL. I saw your fix and will try when I get home tonight. I pray that this will work!

Upvote 0
I hope it works for you. Let me know. :)

crump13, you are AWESOME and THANK YOU!! This so worked. I had to change the M. IP Default and DUN NAI to my cell number including the area code. Viola...i have the 3G icon and I am on the network.

SynisterWolf...I want to thank you too! You helped a lot and thank you for your suggestions.

I hope this helps everybody. I'm about to call Verizon and tell them so they can put this in their knowledge base.

ETA: You and I had the same problem with the Facebook update screwing something up. It froze Handcent, dialer, mail, and People. I had duplicate entries for several people.

Upvote 0
crump13, you are AWESOME and THANK YOU!! This so worked. I had to change the M. IP Default and DUN NAI to my cell number including the area code. Viola...i have the 3G icon and I am on the network.

SynisterWolf...I want to thank you too! You helped a lot and thank you for your suggestions.

I hope this helps everybody. I'm about to call Verizon and tell them so they can put this in their knowledge base.

ETA: You and I had the same problem with the Facebook update screwing something up. It froze Handcent, dialer, mail, and People. I had duplicate entries for several people.

I just got off the phone with Verizon tech and let them know about the update. The tech said they had been getting a lot of calls about this issues and specifically with former Alltel customers. I had asked the tech to email this fix to the tech that helped me last night as she was very helpful and tried to assist as much as she could. She stayed on the phone with me for a long time trying different so I wanted to make sure she atleast got the info on how to fix the mobile network issue.

Reactions: adrynalyne
Upvote 0
I am impressed. I woulda never thought this could be fixed using 778.

I humbly apologize for saying that wouldn't help, in another thread. Great info.

Were you both Alltel users?

edit: In the end, its not an Android problem. Its an issue with Verizon's f'ed up provisioning system.

Yes we are both former Alltel customers that are still both on Alltel Plans. I believe that is the driving issue. The Verizon activation system trying to activate us and some will activate OK and other's won't.

Upvote 0
Yes we are both former Alltel customers that are still both on Alltel Plans. I believe that is the driving issue. The Verizon activation system trying to activate us and some will activate OK and other's won't.
had to have been. that's what i was thinking earlier because there has only been a select few people going through this problem. but regardless i copied everything down line by line in my ##778 just in case this happens to me and i will let other forums that there is a fix now so they wont have to give up there phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones