• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Regarding unlocked Telus hero and 2.1 update when released.

nomnompie

Mar 29, 2010
Hi all. Sorry if this has been posted already, but I didn't see it.

Well you may know from my post a couple days ago that I am running a Telus Hero on AT&T's network. I know other people are also doing this as well. I was thinking about the 2.1 update due out and was wondering what us unlocked Telus Hero owners should do to get it when it is released. I emailed HTC, and they said this.

We at HTC are very happy to hear you are interested in 2.1 Android update. When the 2.1 Android updates is available for your phone Telus will send you an OTA update notification that your phone is ready for the update. Regardless of your service being with AT&T your phone will always check with the Telus server to see if updates are available. It can potentially use both your Data connection as well as WiFi to look for updates.

So, just as an FYI.. I guess it's programmed somewhere in there to somehow check Telus's server regardless of what service you are on.

Here's hoping lol.:D

Yeah, sounds to me like the firmware is programmed to periodically check Telus's servers over the web, so all it needs is a web connection, doesn't matter where it gets it from, be it AT&T, Rogers, or your home WIFI.

Makes sense that this is how they did it. I guess we'll just have to take their word for it until that awaited day comes. We shall see in time. Can't wait. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones