Registered to Ask Simple Question

Last Updated:

1. enc0re

enc0re Member This Topic's Starter

Hello Android Forum!

I registered to ask a simple question, whose answer I cannot find for the life of me. I'm looking into getting my first smartphone, either iPhone or Android.

However, I will only consider Android devices that run stock Android (like the NexusOne), both to get updates quickly and because I don't like the skins.

What current Android devices in the US either
    1. Come with stock Android?
    -or-
    2. Can be easily converted to stock Android, including automatic updates?

Thank you very much in advance for the help.

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Welcome, we hope to see you more often than just for one question. Perhaps you can answer other's question, too!

I'll move this to another forum so that others can help.

3. EmoTonyB

EmoTonyB Well-Known Member

there are MANY devices that are android. EVERY major carrier in the US has at least 2. so the devices are based on what service provider you want.

ALL android devices come with Stock android. some of them just have other UI's laid over them (HTC has Sense UI, Motorola has MotoBlur, Samsung has Sense UI) some phones are released without these other UI's. these are reffered to as 'Vanilla Android' meaning JUST stock android is installed.

'be easily converted to stock Android, including automatic updates'

i think SOME phones you can turn the custom UI's off (i have a moment, has vanilla android on it so i am not too experienced with this) but not all. the only way to get rid of it if the software wont let you is to root. this will allow you to customize (pretty much fully with enough work and patience) your OS. this WILL PROBABLY get in the way of automatic updates, but with root, we usually have access to whatever is beig updated before its 'official' release. thats the beauty of open source. i hope i have shed some light. good luck!

4. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Only phones I know of that are currently being sold in the US that are stock android are the nexus one and the Motorola Droid (The original one) I am willing to bet there are more but thats all I know of.

If you are willing to root there are lots of phones that can get stock android on them. But if you want Over the Air updates from the Carrier quickly you should stick to a Nexus One and do so quickly before they are gone.

5. EmoTonyB

sprint has Moment and Hero but both are low end androids at this point. also the G1 and mytouches are vanilla. also both low end, sadly.

6. enc0re

Apparently my OP was insufficiently clear. By Stock Android I of course meant Vanilla Android. Reason being, among others, is that I want over the air updates when Google releases them; not when my manufacture gets around to it.

I'm handy with IT, so I don't mind rooting. But I want it to be once and done. I want automatic updates and I don't want to worry about ever having to reconfigure my phone.

Also, to head off further question in that direction, I do not care what carrier it's on. The only US carrier that has any goodwill with me is T-Mobile. And I don't care that much even about them.

7. enc0re

Thanks for moving my post to the proper forum. Assuming I choose Android, I would of course stick around. If I go iPhone, not so much. :)

8. EmoTonyB

then you want the Nexus 1. Hands Down.

9. enc0re

Is that my only choice? Because I would rather have the iPhone4 in that case. To me, a Nexus One is equivalent to an iPhone 3GS. If I'm dropping that kind of money, I want the newest and bestest.

I suppose, in a way, that makes my decision much easier. If Apple is the only one offering a vanilla smartphone with immediate updates, then I suppose there isn't really any competition for my dollars. (Except for RIM, but I'm in it for the apps.)

10. EmoTonyB

your stipulation of wanting updates first is why N1 is the only choice. if you care to root or can wait a few months there are quite a few high end androids.

11. enc0re

What I'm trying to find out is, are any of them of the root once, then OTA automatic update variety? I don't mind going through a song and dance with my phone, as long as I only have to do it once.

12. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Well Apples updates only come out once a year. many android phones depsite not getting immediate updates are about to get their second update this year.

But really from your posting here I think you will be much happier with an iPhone.

13. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

The nexus one is just as fast as the evo, droid incredible, and pretty damn close to the Galaxy S series.

14. enc0re

Yeah, sounds like it. Too bad there isn't a manufacturer (like Asus?) that just cranks out vanilla Android phones.

The reason I'm so interested in Android in the first place is that I've become pretty hooked on Google Voice over the last year. The Android phones have better integration than the iPhone, since the iPhone is limited to web apps. But the HTML5 dialer is not the end of the world and I run text messages through the email anyway.