• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Regret not getting a screen protector?

i have been naked for 2 weeks after using both the verizon protector for a week and a cheap one from handheld items for a week. Verizon one sucks in my opinion. It doesn't cover the soft keys, and has random cut outs for the light sensor and LED (but not the 2 sensors on the other side) for some silly reason. The handheld items one covered the whole screen but just got all smudgy and annoying. the finger oil smudges wouldn't wipe off, only smear. Plus it was affecting the sensitivity of the screen.

I ordered a boxwave and it was niiice. The touchscreen wasn't affecting, the protector is good and clear and feels as close to the normal screen as any i tried, and the smudges wipe off just like on the bare screen.

*sigh* i got a bunch of dust particles on the side of the protector that goes on the screen when I was putting it on because like a dummy i kept taking it off and putting it back on to get out that last little bubble. Arguably, the bubble was from a small piece of lint under the protector that kept catching my eyes when the screen was lit up white (think browsing a web page). But it was annoying and catching my eyes so i just HAD to keep pulling it up until i got it out. Hindsight, that one small bubble from that tiny piece of lint was better then a gazillion bubbles from all the lint that kept collecting as I repeatedly pulled the protector on and off. I tried to wash it, no dice. So in the trash it went and because i'm a cheap chick i'm not buying any more. I'm $30 in on screen protectors at this point and i've had enough. The boxwave worked the best and I would use it again, I just don't want to spend anymore money at this time.

I don't go to the beach and i don't work around sand. My best chance at scratching is either in my pocket or bag or when i inevitably drop it and it goes skidding across the floor...

Upvote 0
Still no luck removing my protector thank goodness it is barely scratched and not even noticeable when screen is on. I must have a different one from verizon than most. the cutouts are perfect and the sensetivity is fine. the only thing negative is a slight haze in bright sun and of course my latest dilemna. The darn thing won't come off. Any ideas for removal of non static type protectors.

Upvote 0
I am regretting not buying a a screen protector. The day before my incident, I was at the mall and saw some plastic cases for the droid for $10. I said nah, I'm good... big mistake. The very next day I was getting out of my car and the next thing I knew my phone was falling to the ground. It fell right on the face and now I have a small deep scratch on the glass. I regret not buying the hard case for my phone. Now I have a screen protector, which I hate because its starting to orange peel at the top, the rest of the screen looks great. So if you keep your phone in your pocket I would recomend at least using a screen protector.

Upvote 0
I first tried a case from VZW and ordered their screen protectors, but the case added way too much bulk and the screen protectors didn't even cover the Droid's soft keys so I never installed that.

I then ordered a Zagg type screen protector, but I loved the "smooth as silk" feel to the Droid's glass screen and, after looking at some reviews, I was not willing to install anything on it that would add friction or take away from the "naked" feel.

After seeing the demos of "gorilla glass" and seeing some demos with keys, I was about ready to leave my Droid's screen naked... until I spend a day with my kids playing with sand, and I kept thinking and worrying about how this very common ceramic might damage or scratch even the best quality glass.

Finally, I ordered and installed the Wrapsol complete body protection kit on my Droid. First off, I love the fact that this film fits great and completely fills in the small "gap" between the glass and the housing. The cut-outs are great and the installation went incredibly well being that this was my first installation on a pricey "smart" device.

My initial installation resulted in a couple of small (and unexpected) bubbles in the film, but I was able to remove them after pushing them to the edge of the screen.

As for functionality, I am very impressed! The glossy film screen protection feels pretty much exactly like the naked glass screen, and has no perceptible loss in screen sensitivity.

As a side note, the other body protection films offer a nice matte finish that fit well and feel nice to the touch.

I am not sure if a screen protector is needed with this phone, but i definitely like my Wrapsol protector and feel much better having it installed on my Droid.

Upvote 0
Still no luck removing my protector thank goodness it is barely scratched and not even noticeable when screen is on. I must have a different one from verizon than most. the cutouts are perfect and the sensetivity is fine. the only thing negative is a slight haze in bright sun and of course my latest dilemna. The darn thing won't come off. Any ideas for removal of non static type protectors.

I have always removed the adhesive type protectors by digging at a corner until it starts to peel and very slowly keep peeling at a 45 degree or less up/backward angle. It helps if the screen protector is warm.

What do you recommend for the best screen protector that will slow down the buildup of oils from finger smudges or the face? Especially the fingers. There has to be some way to disguise the unlock pattern. I did find the option in settings to uncheck 'use visible pattern'.

You want an anti-glare type protector. They have a matte like almost mesh finish that help conceal fingerprints and glare.

Droid Screen Protector / Motorola Droid Screen Protector / Droid Screen Cover / Motorola Droid Screen Cover / Droid Screen Film - ClearTouch Anti-Glare

Upvote 0
I don't use a screen protector and here's why. The screen is not only scratch resistant, but also handles finger prints much better than my previous iphone. The fact that the iphone has glass means that there will come a point when your finger's oils and the screen's resistence just don't jive. I find that screen protectors are only useful if you drop or place your screen face down frequently. I do neither of these, so I feel in the clear. Ultimately just take good care of your shit. THAT is what will keep your valuable items in better shape.

I never put a bra on my 300ZX either. Know why? I don't tailgate.

Upvote 0
I got the verizon ones and they work great for me. The rep put them on for me PERFECT. Barely notice its there, I NEVER use screen protectors because they usually look bad and kill that "tiny extra clearness" but on the droid its barely noticeable. I still can't believe they sold me on the case, screen protector, and phone THAT easy haha....

Upvote 0
i have been naked for 2 weeks after using both the verizon protector for a week and a cheap one from handheld items for a week. Verizon one sucks in my opinion. It doesn't cover the soft keys, and has random cut outs for the light sensor and LED (but not the 2 sensors on the other side) for some silly reason. The handheld items one covered the whole screen but just got all smudgy and annoying. the finger oil smudges wouldn't wipe off, only smear. Plus it was affecting the sensitivity of the screen.

I ordered a boxwave and it was niiice. The touchscreen wasn't affecting, the protector is good and clear and feels as close to the normal screen as any i tried, and the smudges wipe off just like on the bare screen.

*sigh* i got a bunch of dust particles on the side of the protector that goes on the screen when I was putting it on because like a dummy i kept taking it off and putting it back on to get out that last little bubble. Arguably, the bubble was from a small piece of lint under the protector that kept catching my eyes when the screen was lit up white (think browsing a web page). But it was annoying and catching my eyes so i just HAD to keep pulling it up until i got it out. Hindsight, that one small bubble from that tiny piece of lint was better then a gazillion bubbles from all the lint that kept collecting as I repeatedly pulled the protector on and off. I tried to wash it, no dice. So in the trash it went and because i'm a cheap chick i'm not buying any more. I'm $30 in on screen protectors at this point and i've had enough. The boxwave worked the best and I would use it again, I just don't want to spend anymore money at this time.

I don't go to the beach and i don't work around sand. My best chance at scratching is either in my pocket or bag or when i inevitably drop it and it goes skidding across the floor...

You probably threw away a perfectly good protector. They wash just fine if you follow the instructions. I too was skeptical at first about how well they come back after washing but it does work. I had lint and dust issues as well and the washing got out all the dust. I was able to put it back on...no bubbles, no dust.

Upvote 0
They wash just fine if you follow the instructions.
Yeah I washed according to the directions, or so I think anyway. This isn't my first experience with Boxwave protectors, I used to use them on my PDAs back when there weren't any smartphones and I used them on my very first smartphone. I don't know why I didn't start with them on this phone. I had sort of forgotten about them since I didn't ever use one on my last phone. There's a brand I know I definitely don't like, and I was thinking it was Boxwave, but actually now I think it's Seidio. Theirs always peel up on the corners and have a weird texture to them.

Upvote 0
I have always removed the adhesive type protectors by digging at a corner until it starts to peel and very slowly keep peeling at a 45 degree or less up/backward angle. It helps if the screen protector is warm.

You want an anti-glare type protector. They have a matte like almost mesh finish that help conceal fingerprints and glare.

Droid Screen Protector / Motorola Droid Screen Protector / Droid Screen Cover / Motorola Droid Screen Cover / Droid Screen Film - ClearTouch Anti-Glare

Thanks. I forgot the antiglare. I just ordered the Boxwave one. I use an antiglare protector on my ipod touch.
I firmly believe in protecting any electronic device that cost you more than $5 .
Deskset

Upvote 0
I bought a skinomi screen protector from Amazon. Haven't got it yet, but from what I've read at this point... it won't be very good. I have to keep it protected because I am so picky that the smallest imperfection would bother me very badly. I will have to try the boxwave kind if the skinomi really is bad. Any ideas as to which one is better, the crystal clear or the anti glare?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones