• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Reinstall Locations app (related to HTCSense)

Toquinha

Lurker
Dec 2, 2010
Hey, y'all. I've been having issues connecting with HTCSense.com and one of the recommendations was to reinstall the Locations application, but when I try, it gives me an error message, "Unable to find an activity to handle this action." Outside of unlocking it from Bell to Fido, I didn't make any major alterations. Any ideas as to why it's telling me this?

Same with me, except I haven't unlocked from Bell. It may have something to do with not being in Europe or Asia. I read somewhere that the 'HTC Locations' is joint thing with TomTom, but is available over there - no mention of North America. Anyone else know for sure what the story is? Or better still, know a work-around?

Upvote 0
I'm now not so concerned about being unable to reinstall the Locations app. In short the problems I am having most likeley relate to teething problems with the HTC CSense website. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

The connection issues I have been having might have been temporarily solved by any or all of the following:

I originally put in my tel. no incorrectly. stupidly I put in a landline number. then when I entered my mbl number I also put in an area code too.
so my mbl number 0425****** would be entered as:
2425******
Where 2 represents the area code 02 with the leading zero dropped off (international calls in to OZ always drop the leading zero before an area code).

Only the remote ring functionality worked for 1 day then stopped. No other functions would work (remote lock, and map location). I tried deleting my HTC sense account from both HTC Sense and on my phone. Neither of these two things made any difference.
I then rang HTC tech support and they were very helpful. They did admit there were teething problems with the website, especially for new users who have recently signed up. They asked me to:
1. take the battery out of my phone to reset it.
2. Try using HTC Sense again.
Well initially it didn't work, but after a few minutes and while I was still on the phone to the tech. part of it started working . The part that dialled my phone. Then lo and behold the lock functionality started to work too.
It wasn't until the following day (Monday) that the location map started working too. I noticed that when it was working it enabled the GPS transmitter on my phone to seek its location accurately, if I was outside this would work fine. This feature only worked for 1 day. Now when I try doing this from my work, I can't even get the phone to ring again !!!

Clearly HTC's expertise doesn't lie in developing web based products....

Upvote 0
Locations wasn't removed on my Bell Mobility HTC DZ. I was just trying to re-install it (as the menu option existed) in an effort to sort out the HTC Sense issues I was having.
I interpreted the menu option "re-install" as being "uninstall then install again".

BTW I'm not using this with Bell Mobility as I'm in OZ using it with Telstra.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones