Reinstalling the dialer in the Galaxy Tab (US version)

Last Updated:

1. NunyaBidnez

NunyaBidnez Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Unlike the European version, Samsung is supposedly releasing the Galaxy Tab in the US without the ability to make phone calls. I have a zip file from Google's website that I used to manually update my Nexus One. This file contains all the apk and odex files for all of the apps, including the Google services. Does anyone know if I can use these files to sideload the dialer app on the Galaxy Tab without rooting it?

Advertisement
    gumbykey22 likes this.
  2. ConceptVBS

ConceptVBS Well-Known Member

Perhaps it can.

But we wont find out until some people have it in their hands.

We still dont know whether its a hardware lock or a software lock on the phone dialing capability.

If its a software lock, you can bet that developers will be cracking that shit in no time. :D

3. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Even if it were possible it might be challenging considering the US carriers are selling the phone without voice service. If you could load an APK to restore the dialer you'd still need to find a carrier willing to add the ESN to their network... or find a SIM card that will work in the Galaxy tab.

4. NunyaBidnez

I am only concerned with getting the voice calling feature installed on GSM devices. CDMA carriers have absolute control over which services can be activated on a particular device and would never activate a voice plan on a modified Galaxy Tab. In my opinion, carriers should just stick to being a "dumb pipe" and only concern themselves with providing a good service at a reasonable price. When I purchase a device, it belongs to me and I should be the one that determines which apps should or shouldn't be installed on my personal property.

5. raqball

raqball Well-Known Member

I would assume you can BT it via VOIP, no?

6. NunyaBidnez

Yeah, VoIP will work but I'm looking for something with full cellular calling capabilities, which the European version offers. Why would I want to carry two devices with me when I go out. I should just be able to take the SIM card out of my Phone and slide it into my tablet device when I feel like surfing the net on a larger screen. When I feel like making or taking calls, I'd like to be able to do it on the same device.

The least Samsung could do is allow the Galaxy Tab to pair with my smartphone, similar to the way in car navigation devices allows you make and take calls. I shouldn't have to put down my tablet and pull my phone out of my pocket to dial a call or look at my caller ID. In my opinion, the Galaxy Tab would make an excellent in car entertainment and navigation system.

7. fonsohalbert

fonsohalbert New Member

Hello, I have samsung galaxy tab without a dailer, how can I install this aplication.