• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Release] Custom Rom "Breakneck" for LG Vortex

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhast2

Jan 10, 2011
.: About The Rom
This Rom is for the LG VORTEX only!!!! It will not work with any other phone.
To use this rom you will have to be on 2.2 and be rooted and have the custom recovery installed. To root use z4root. To install the custom recovery go here http://androidforums.com/getitnowmarketing/221375-custom-recovery-vortex-thunderc-vzw.html
Since you have to put the files on your sdcard for the custom recovery, this is a good time to put the Breakneckmod zip file on the root of you sdcard too.
After you get the custom recovery installed create a nand backup.<h2><B>MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS SO YOU CAN GO BACK TO OEM.</B></h2> Now that you backed up your nand clear your cache, So go to <B>WIPE</B> and pick the following

Wipe Data/Factory reset
Wipe Cache
Wipe Dalvik Cache

Ok Since you Already have have the custom rom on your sdcard go ahead and pick "Flash zip from sdcard"
That is it you have a custom rom on your phone

.: Changes in Breakneck V3 rom

What is Changed in ROM

Updated to 2.2.1
Pre Rooted
BusyBox installed
BusyBox run-parts support
Nano text editor installed
Bash shell support
Zipaligh all apk file to optimize ram usage
Google search installed
Custom Launcher
All of Verizon bloatware is removed
Deodex both framework and apps
Reduced rom size to 81MB (more space for apps and what not)
Replaced the stock music player with Musicmod
Included jit enabler to go from 24mb to 32mb and speed up the phone
Included ES file manger
Includes Custom Kernel that is OVERCLOCKED. Have to use SETCPU to set the speed cause it depends on your phone
Includes Wireless tethering
Includes Updated apps
Custom Wallpaper
The phone boots at 600 MHz you will have to change that when you install SETCPU from the link above. pick a Speed and that STRESS Test it to make sure that it can handle that speed. after the Stress Test. Open your camera app to see if it crashes if it crashes than back the overclock down by one and test the camera app again if it works than go back to SETCPU and put a check in "SET ON BOOT".
MD5 Hash is cd94e925bb2a5b4ce8cbbcd65d5b865d

I WANT TO THANK GETITNOWMARKETING FOR THE SOURCE OF THE KERNEL IF IT WASN'T FOR HIM I COULDN'T HAVE MADE THE TWEEKS TO THE KERNEL. I WILL BE SENDING HIM A DONATION THIS WEEKEND.

The next release will be gui changes only

home.png

folder.png

device.png

setcpu.png

.: Changes in Breakneck V2.1 rom
Fixed sh problem

.: Changes in Breakneck V2 rom

Just to start of my saying there are a few changes in this release. This was just to get things start.

Pre Rooted
BusyBox installed
Bash shell support
Google search installed
ADW Launcher
All of Verizon bloatware is removed
Deodex both framework and apps
Reduced rom size to 81MB (more space for apps and what not)
Replaced the stock music player with Musicmod
Included jit enabler to go from 24mb to 32mb and speed up the phone
Included ES file manger

.: Changes in Breakneck V1 rom
Just to start of my saying there are a few changes in this release. This was just to get things start.

Pre Rooted
BusyBox installed
Bash shell support
Google search installed
ADW Launcher and LG Home (until I figure out how to remove LG Home cause alot of stuff is hard wired to LG Home)
Most of Verizon bloatware is removed

After you install you will have to pick LG Home or ADW launcher
If you want to use google search than Pick ADW launcher.

I want to thank dots, LBPHeretic of Androidforums and ciwrl, and Winnah9000 at Cyanogenmod

You can download it here Breakneckmod [DOWNLOAD LINK PULLED!]

So once I do this and I want to revert back to factory settings, how do I do that?

Sorry about asking this, but I'm a noob to all of this.

Thanks!

In the custom recovery (assuming you flashed it) there is an "Backup/Restore" menu. You can create a nandroid backup there. You can restore that nandroid backup if need be from the same menu.

Upvote 0
Okay. Thanks. I did the backup, so I just have to adb shell into my droid, su - and then do a reboot recovery and that will put me back into the custom recovery menu to restore?

Thanks!

I don't have a Vortex but according to the recovery post http://androidforums.com/getitnowmarketing/221375-custom-recovery-vortex-thunderc-vzw.html

Key combo to boot custom recovery from powered off is vol_down + home + power and release keys at LG splash.

I suggest trying that first as that is the way to manually boot into recovery. I assume adb reboot recovery would work but idk.

Upvote 0
The key combo isn't working for me, so I just launch terminal emulator (or adb shell if I'm near a computer) and just do the reboot recovery.

Now what I need to do is somehow get all my app settings imported into the new image. Is there a way to do this? I really don't want to have to start my games I've been playing from the beginning (such as Angry Birds). Is there an easy way to do this? I have Titanium Backup. Will this do it for me? I would assume backup my apps before I reimage to the new ROM, reimage, reinstall Titanium Backup and then restore?

Also, does anyone know of a "stock" image of the Vortex I can use when I want to reimage it back to the default settings? The main reason I'm asking is because, stupid me, when I rooted my phone, I went and "removed" certain stock apps (such as Bing search, Tetris, Scrabble, etc). Rather, I moved the apks from the system directory to my SD card and now, if I want to reinstall them, I have to launch the apk from the SD card, but if I do a factory reset, the apps are no longer there unless I launch the APK from the SD card. So, I'm not sure if that would prevent me from being able to apply any system updates that Verizon might push through. Therefore, if I have access to a "stock" Vortex image that I could apply when that happens, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
The key combo isn't working for me, so I just launch terminal emulator (or adb shell if I'm near a computer) and just do the reboot recovery.

Now what I need to do is somehow get all my app settings imported into the new image. Is there a way to do this? I really don't want to have to start my games I've been playing from the beginning (such as Angry Birds). Is there an easy way to do this? I have Titanium Backup. Will this do it for me? I would assume backup my apps before I reimage to the new ROM, reimage, reinstall Titanium Backup and then restore?

Also, does anyone know of a "stock" image of the Vortex I can use when I want to reimage it back to the default settings? The main reason I'm asking is because, stupid me, when I rooted my phone, I went and "removed" certain stock apps (such as Bing search, Tetris, Scrabble, etc). Rather, I moved the apks from the system directory to my SD card and now, if I want to reinstall them, I have to launch the apk from the SD card, but if I do a factory reset, the apps are no longer there unless I launch the APK from the SD card. So, I'm not sure if that would prevent me from being able to apply any system updates that Verizon might push through. Therefore, if I have access to a "stock" Vortex image that I could apply when that happens, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

if you do a to do a backup than use Titanium Backup

and if you wait a bit v2 is going to be release and it improves on speed and using less ram and all lg and verizon apk are out of it

I am going to release a guide and image on how to go back to stock 2.2 in a while too

Reactions: bolski
Upvote 0
Thanks bhast! I have TB and I used that to backup installed apps and settings, reimaged with your ROM and then restored them and things installed just fine.

I love the new ROM though. Wireless tethering now works! Now when we're on the road and my daughters need to access the internet with their iTouches (yuck!), they can do it!

I would also assume that since the Vortex is already overclocked that we can't get it beyond 600? It would be nice. I've tried SetCPU, but I can't go above 600 which is probably correct because it would probably be unstable after that.

Now, if we could just somehow get Adobe Flash to work on the Vortex! I guess for now, I just use Skyfire.

Upvote 0
Awesome with version 2. I just tried it today and then there was an update from Verizon that started to download. Is this using an older version of the Droid OS? Should I avoid the update?

Thanks!

Based on my experience with the Ally and custom recoveries. When you try to install the OTA it should boot into custom recovery and the installation would fail. Meaning the pesky popup to update would stop. I "assume" that would be the case for the Vortex and its custom recovery too.

Upvote 0
I went ahead and nanded my custom ROM and went back to the stock ROM to see what the update has, but it seems to be hanging at the LG logo when it reboots after downloading.

I'm wondering if it's because I'm rooted? How to do I get this back to my stock settings? I had removed some stock apps (Scrabble, Tetris, the office suite) and they are no longer flagged as system apps. Could this be a problem? Is there a way to get back to a stock image?

I'm just curious as to what the change is and would like to apply it. How do I remove the recovery boot so that it doesn't keep going into that?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Also, there seems to be an issue with the Version 2 of the Breakneckmod rom. I cannot adb shell into it. It keeps telling me the following:

- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -
check_LGE_official: fopen(/sdcard/thunder_security) error

I've reverted back to the previous breakneckmod for now.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Also, there seems to be an issue with the Version 2 of the Breakneckmod rom. I cannot adb shell into it. It keeps telling me the following:

- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -
check_LGE_official: fopen(/sdcard/thunder_security) error

I've reverted back to the previous breakneckmod for now.

Thanks!

What mode do you have the usb in on the phone and do you have debugging checked?
if you can go into irc
the server is
irc.freenode.net and the channel is #breakneckmod

EDIT:
Fixed the problem from some reason on V2 the sh got renamed to sh0 don't know why but i fixed it and the new version is breakneck_v2.1
Sorry about that

Upvote 0
I don't have a Vortex, I am still rocking my first android powered phone the LG Ally. I love my phone and the things I've done to it (rooted, custom recovery, Velocity V1.0 for Froyo 2.2.1, overclocked to 768Mhz, etc.). Part of th reason i love my phone so much is because of things like rooting and romming and I'm so glad to see that the Vortex has custom rom(s) available. I think the Vortex will be my next phone and I was hoping to see some screen shots of this rom, just to get a taste of what my next phone could look like. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
It looks like the Stock ROM.

I really want an OC kernel for this phone. We currently do not have one, but the source WAS released for this phone so it's possible in the right hands.

EDIT: In build.prop, you should enable hardware acceleration:
Code:
debug.sf.hw=1
Personally, I set all of the stagefrights to true except for http, because doing the http one gives me that green line across the top on HQ YouTube videos.

After making these changes I have noticed a significant performance increase. I have no lag anymore in The Impossible Game, before it was almost unplayable, but thanks to these changes it runs just like my friend's iPod equivilent.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones