Release Date

Last Updated:

1. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned This Topic's Starter

So is there any official release date because i have been hearing different dates. Anyone know?

Advertisement
  2. 2guys1droid

2guys1droid Member

according to various sources.... its supposed to be midnight tonight

3. ckochinsky125

There always has to be one smart ass out there

4. OutlawFirebird

OutlawFirebird Well-Known Member

dont think its offical yet, I have heard aug, but since its aug now and no more news has been released, Cant say for sure. android 2.2 releases at midnight apparently, but thats beside the point.

5. ckochinsky125

Yeah i saw it was supposedly made official to be launching the 12th

6. YooDontKnoMi

YooDontKnoMi Member

I spoke to a vzw rep last week about it, and she gave me the date of aug 24th from what her computer said!

7. ckeegan

ckeegan Well-Known Member

I personally think it is going to be a "soft launch" (online/telesales) on the 12th, and won't show up in-store until the 23rd or 24th.

Verizon has done this in the past with "upgrade" smartphones, and there's no reason they wouldn't do it now. I think that's why we keep hearing two dates.

8. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

I think that Verizon reps get their info from droid-life and engadget just like the rest of us.

9. OutlawFirebird

OutlawFirebird Well-Known Member

If thats the case, I dont see many people buying it in stores, If you could get it online over a week earlier.

but I think it will launch for enverything, internet, stores, on the same date.

10. ckeegan

Well, I've been doing this since 2004 with WinMo phones, but this will really be the first time an Android device has been refreshed.

Verizon does it this way, so they'll further discount the original model in-store to clear inventory. Early-adopters will still have the opportunity to pick up the D2 via online or telesales, but you are mistaken if you think most people buy their devices online, and the VAST majority of people don't follow any of these tech sites. So the vast majority of people considering a smartphone right now have no idea that the Droid 2 is coming in the next couple weeks.

Obviously I don't know this release schedule as fact, Verizon has just done it this way for about 6 years now.

11. Old Man

Old Man Well-Known Member

Verizon has done this in the past apparently with the idea that the devices actually get into everyone's hands at about the same time. So I could see them taking orders starting 8/12 with delivery on or by 8/23 or 8/24.

12. ckeegan

Well that's just pre-order.

In past smartphone upgrade releases (XV6700, XV6800, Touch Pro, Touch Pro2) you were able to order via online/telesales and get it the next day, but the device wouldn't be for sale in stores until 12-14 days later.

13. ckochinsky125

Yeah but some people already got to preorder and it was announced online although idk how credible it was launching the 12

14. ckeegan

As far as I know, the people who claim to have been able to pre-order "knew a guy", so I don't think I would call that an official pre-order. Unless someone calls telesales and is able to officially pre-order and obtain an order number, it's not available for pre-order.

As for the online "announcement", I don't know if I would call some rogue VZW manager's twitter post of the Droid 2 benchmark an official announcement.

If it plays out like anything else has in the past, someone will leak a screenshot with release date from InfoManager, and it will say Online/Telesales soft launch August ##. In-Store availablity beginning August ##.

Don't get me wrong, it could also say "Launch via all channels", but the only time that has happened in the past is when all inventory of the previous generation was gone.

15. ckochinsky125

Actualy i just did call a few local verizons and they told me their inventory of droid is out and that means the launch is right around the corner also te release i was talking about wasn't the twitter it was actually online do some research then talk(not saying the source may e correct but i look around more ten just on here.

16. YooDontKnoMi

YooDontKnoMi Member

I was told that there will be no preorders due to the incredible debacle.

17. Old Man

What debacle are you referencing?

18. ckeegan

You said it was "announced", and the only thing remotely close to an announcement was the twitter thing from a Verizon employee's twitter acct. You must have been referencing the leaks, not an announcement.

Now we do have some confirmation that it will be "announced" on the 10th, pre-sale beginning on the 11th, and release on the 12th. It does look like it will launch on all channels on the 12th, so whoever originally came up with the 8/23 date was wrong.

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/08/03/droid-2-to-be-announced-august-10th-available-august-12th/

19. Old Man

The picture is supposedly from a presentation by the Droid 2 launch team to VZW reps today and was apparently originally anonymously posted on http://donthatethegeek.com/?p=526, who notes the dates as being tentative. What are apparently the dates appear cut off in the picture, but assuming they actually are dates and are for August, then announcing a new product one day, taking pre-orders the next and starting regular sales the day after that seems a bit unusual. While this could indeed be the most official, and encouraging information yet, I'm not sure that you can classify it as actual confirmation.

20. ckeegan

Same basic screenshot we saw for the Touch Pro2 this time last year.

9/10 - Press Release announcing the TP2
    9/11 - Pre-Sale via online/telesales
    9/12 - Full launch via all direct channels

This is just a device refresh, so they're not going to make a huge deal out of it.

21. ckochinsky125

Actually if you do a google search there are a few results stating about the release date being specified not the twitter!

22. ckeegan

I don't think anyone can "announce" a Verizon device other than Verizon, but I will agree that there have been rumors out for an 8/12 launch for a while.

It's cool though. If I average 5 posts/day for the next 12 months, maybe I can be right next time. :rolleyes: I've only been following Verizon smartphone launches since 2004.

23. ckochinsky125

Yeah good luck with being right when it comes to that you can roll your eyes all you want im just stating what is on the internet :p

24. YooDontKnoMi

YooDontKnoMi Member

The rep told me that there will be no preorders due to the fact that people who pre-ordered the incredible did not get one, or at least there are STILL people who are waiting on their phone. That was the information she gave me!

25. Coogi

Coogi Well-Known Member

As a verizon rep, I have no idea on the pre order status. But what I do have is a release date on Aug. 12th.

This is the email just copied and pasted.

5Ws: DROID 2 | Interactive Update on the Demo Bar

(Laptops)

Launch: Thursday August 12, 2010

Why/Objective: