1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

Remote Access External Hard Drive

Last Updated:

1. Dsclifford

Dsclifford New Member

Ok, so I have searched and searched for a solution to this, but found none. So im finally breaking down and asking for help lol.

I have a Droid X, and recently purchased a Western Digital My Book World. I have the hard drive connected directly to my wireless router, so there is not connection to a specific computer. In fact, when I leave the house, i dont even leave any computers on. I want to access my music, video, documents etc. on the go from my Droid. I am aware of the various remote desktop access apps, but like I said, the only thing that would be powered on is the hard drive itself, so no computer to remotely access as the middle man.

WD has an app out now that you can use to access your pictures remotely, but for some reason they dont care about letting people control their other files....doesnt make much sense to me. So there must be a fairly simple way to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Advertisement
  2. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

I use Estrongs File Explorer for access my NAS over WiFi.
    But I have to setup the NAS for the accessable (folders/files) share on the NAS.

So I understand that your WD set a share only for pictures.

Harry
  3. Dsclifford

Dsclifford New Member

Do you mean over the LAN wifi? Cause I can access all of my files, music, videos, etc. over my home wifi. I just want to be able to do it on the go using another wifi spot, or better yet just the 3G. Mainly I want to do this for school. Be able to store all of my class documents, electronic text books, lecture videos on the My Book, and be able to access them when I need to from campus or wherever.
  4. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member