remote access

Last Updated:

1. milkfloat

milkfloat New Member This Topic's Starter

does anybody know if it is posible to switch on a p.c remotley from an android handset? i've figured out how to control the desktop and switch p.c off but would be good to be able to actually wake remotely.

Advertisement
  2. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

The act of switching on a PC requires a physical input, so unless if your PC is only on sleep mode, I doubt it is possible.

milkfloat likes this.
  3. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

There are some wake-on-LAN apps. The problem is going about setting it up on your PC. Your computer's BIOS must support it, and same with your LAN card. I think many Dell's support it, since their Ethernet port is still powered on even when the computer is off.

But we really can't help you too much because it depends on your computer's hardware and BIOS. But here's a nice start up guide on how to do it.

Access Your Computer Anytime and Save Energy with Wake-on-LAN

milkfloat likes this.
  4. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Not really. You could do it with Wake-on-lan like someone else suggested. Your PC has to support it and you may have to go into the BIOS to turn it on in a lot of computer. Even so, you'd have to be on the same network the PC is on for it to work. So, you'd have to either configure your router to pass magic packets to the PC so you could start it from anywhere (which sounds like a huge PITA to me) or you'd have to be on your home wifi network. If you're on your home wifi network, why not just walk over to the PC and press the power button?

milkfloat likes this.