• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Remote Accessing Computer From Droid

megraven

Lurker
Mar 29, 2011
I want to download an app that allows me to remote access my computer, like I was told I can do by a verizon employee. I have looked into a few of the apps and read a lot of the reviews but I am still afraid of using the app (or a bad app) and giving up my security without knowing it.

The apps I looked into are LogMeIn, Wyse Pocket Cloud RDP/VNC, Remote Desktop Lite and Teamviewer 6.

Wyse Pocket Cloud gets better reviews than LogMeIn, Remote Desktop Lite seems to be as good (?) as Wyse and Teamviewer 6 doesnt interest me at all.

My question is, how safe are these apps when you are allowing them to run on your droid? Is it easier for people to hack into your computer and/or droid if you download and use this app? Has anyone had trouble with these kinds of apps (not just the ones I have listed), beyond how well they run?

Also, what do you think the best app for this feature is? I know The Thunderbolt has this app already installed, does anyone know which app it is?

Thanks!

I've used Remote RDP, RealVNC and currently TeamViewer 6 and their mostly the same look into the encryption and ease of setup. For Remote RDP and RealVNC for example you need to set up port forwarding and firewall exception where TeamViewer 6 does all that for you by setting up a connection with the program. For encryption i know TV6 used AES 256-bit encryption with the unique password as the encryption key (which is randomly generated at program start up).

The one thing i like about RealVNC and TV6 is it used the screen as a trackpad which gives you a lot more control over the mouse then trying to click tiny icons with your finger.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones