Remote Control my phone

1. simon211175

simon211175 Active Member

Hi,

I've seen I think one million threads for apps available to turn your Android phone in to a remote control for your PC, but nothing that goes the other way. I've just come from several years of Windows Mobiling and I've always had access to several apps that will allow me to control my phone from my PC.

Does such a thing exist for Android yet - or is it possible using the SDK?

Advertisement
  2. AceStar

AceStar Member

If you root your phone, then you can use the Android Debug Bridge (ADB).

You can then do anything that you can do with the SDK. For instance, you can get to a shell on your phone or do other things remotely.

Here is info on that:
    Android Debug Bridge | Android Developers

As for a more end-user friendly way of doing it - this can be done with apps. Remember, apps have access to pretty much all features of the phone. There is, for example, an app for running a VNC server on your phone. So you could control your phone from any VNC client via wifi I guess.

android-vnc - Project Hosting on Google Code

Note that that app is very old - it was made before there were any Android handsets in existence. There are likely to be other apps allowing you to control aspects of your phone over the network.
  3. AceStar

AceStar Member

4. simon211175

simon211175 Active Member

Thanks AceStar. The VNC option looks as though it's the best option - my phone is already rooted and I can get a shell, but it's for controlling the frontend (typing messages etc) that I need the app for.

RemoteAndroid does look promising, hopefully it won't disappear before being fully finished.
  5. andant

andant New Member

androidscreencast - Project Hosting on Google Code

is great and what you're looking for (java/cross-platform) and provides a full remote control access to your android GUI from any computer! The FPS is the only complaint I can imagine having with this, but that is understandable and quite tolerable.
  6. canrunin

canrunin Well-Known Member

i have tried to go to this web site cyrket ever since i got my eris phone,for some reason when i try to go the i just have a plain white screen.ive tried since november just dont get it.
    jrdunno likes this.
  7. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Anything else on the market ?

Would be cool to SMS from your pc than from the phone if you're near the PC.
  8. FadeFx

FadeFx Well-Known Member

try "droid explorer" it uses the adb bridge and has a feature called screencast that does exactly that without vnc
    magicman08 and jrdunno like this.
  9. Cognoscenti

Cognoscenti Member

Iphone has Veency by Saurik, what is the easiest equivalent to this?

Surely there is a very simple way to control a phone supposedly more open and customiseable than an Apple device however it seems far easier on a jailbroken Iphone.
  10. amas25

amas25 New Member

use teamviwer for android ^_^
  11. Cognoscenti

Cognoscenti Member

pretty sure that is for viewing pc on the android not the other way around sint it?
  12. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

Indeed. Since it doesn't support the presentation mode, you can't (yet) reverse the control over device.
  13. AmneonX

AmneonX Well-Known Member

14. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

15. Cognoscenti

Cognoscenti Member

16. Destects

Destects New Member

for SMS connections, you could use pdaNet, it works well. you just have to connect your phone via the USB port. you dont need to have root on your device or anything either, and on the plus side you can use it for free internet lol... but depending on your device your may have to install special drivers that can be found on the website where you get the client...
  17. IAmSixNine

IAmSixNine Well-Known Member

I am kicking my self in the read. A few months ago i found an app that let me completely run my device as long as it was on the same WiFi Network.

We had a policy change at work and no phones allowed in the back. So i found an app and installed. Configured it (pretty easy) and it let me use internet explorer and java to run. It literally gave me a live constantly updating screen shot of my device. I could drag my mouse over the unlock screen, then put in my password and access anything.. Clicking the mouse was like taping my finger on the screen. Long press was like pressing and holding. It was great accept i bent the rules and put the device in my pocket. Well now that they have cracked down i am looking for it again and cant find it.

Hopefully this thread will come back to life and we can find that app. :)
  18. StevePeak

StevePeak New Member

Slightly off topic but answers your point, look at "myphoneexplorer"
    excellent app for displaying calendar, contacts, alarms reminders AND messages, you can SMS and Mobile Phone Call direct from your PC screen and sync to pc.

19. fredboy

fredboy New Member

Anyone try Remote Web Desktop from SmartDog Studio on the market? Seems to offer the functionality requested for.
  20. mcai7jl2

mcai7jl2 New Member

Have you tried RemoteCall for Android? I asked the rep on the phone and gave me a trial. Currently, no root required for European Galaxy S and LG optimus..
  21. cb3190

cb3190 Member

Remote web desktop is an app which will allow this, try it out!
  22. IAmSixNine

IAmSixNine Well-Known Member

There were 4 apps out there in the 2.1 days that took advantage of some security flaws. Then 2.2 came out and with it some fixes, as well as a big hype about malicious apps on the market. Google cleaned house and got rid of most, if not all of the good apps to control your device.
    I had an EPIC and had an app that did this, i could launch a browser screen and it would emulate the screen. I could do everything but make phone calls. (no way to pass audio if i did) and it was nice. But its been gone for a while now. This is probably the reason your not having much luck finding what your looking for.
  23. LazLoe

LazLoe New Member

For what is requested in OP, this works fine. I could not log in directly from the browser, so I had to use the website.
    It is a bit slow over my 3g but my upload here is 3-400kbps and upload is half that. Over the local network it is pretty snappy.

Detailed steps for connecting over Provider's data connection:
    1. Once installed you start the service.
    2. Then you go to settings.
    3. Select "keep alive connection to androidwebkey.com"
    4. Then tap button "Nickname at server" and enter a nickname.
    5. Tap button "Users' Settings" > create a user and password.
    6. On computer browse to a) ht tp://[the IP address shown] or b) androidwebkey.com
    7a. If the IP worked then goto step 8, else goto step 7b.
    7b. In the field at top enter the Nickname created at step 4.
    8. Click the Login link and enter the login info created at step 5
    9. ???
    10. Profit