Remote Desktop with AndroidVNC

Last Updated:

1. evilsandwich

evilsandwich Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone got this to work with the Evo ?
    If so, how does it look?

I downloaded AndroidVNC and installed RealVNC on my computer but it never connects. Yes I have port forwarded 5800 & 5900, typed correct PW, typed server address correct etc etc. I get 2 problems, 1st it immediately says "VNC connection failed" - almost TOO fast, like it doesnt even try to connect and just says failed.
    2nd it gets stuck connecting but never connects.

I've used remote desktop with the Hero and iPhone 3gs and they were quite laggy and choppy (obviously). I'm very interested in how the Evo would look.

Here's why I want to do it..

I have my laptop plugged into my TV and stream youtube videos to watch on my TV. I watch videos with multiple parts (sometimes up to 20 parts). Rather than getting up off the couch every 10 minutes, I want to remote desktop into my laptop so i can press "part 2" from the Evo. playlists dont work because it automatically takes the player out of full screen. Also - YES - it is a pain in the a** to get up off the couch every 10 minutes and walk across the living room, mostly because my 90lb lab makes herself comfortable on my lap and is sleeping sound ;)

any tips? thanks

Advertisement
  2. paradox183

paradox183 Well-Known Member

I haven't gotten it working either, but haven't spent much time troubleshooting. Depending on how I enter the computer's address (hostname vs. FQDN) it will either fail immediately or wait for 15-20 seconds and then fail.

3. evilsandwich

evilsandwich Member This Topic's Starter

ive tried just the IP that the server says when you mouse over the icon, also i've tried with the http:// and also i've tried 192.168.2.1 .1.1 .2.34 .1.34 .1.0 etc etc etc. nothing connects

4. skpd

skpd Well-Known Member

never used a VNC connection, anyone care to explain the advantage of it over say LogMeIn or GoToMYPC?

5. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

I'm currently waiting for a Logmein Ignition invite. Can't wait to use that since I already run Logmein on all of my PCs.

6. skpd

skpd Well-Known Member

invite? you do have the Beta right? LogMeIn Beta

7. Jensen

Jensen Well-Known Member

Sandwich I couldn't get android VNC to work either. Same issue as you. If you figure it out let me know.

8. blkhwkz

blkhwkz Active Member

I have been running VNC on my pc for years and use it every day. Had no issues connecting with a VNC app on my TP2. On the Evo it hangs at establishing handshake and eventually errors out or crashes. I gave up and uninstalled it.

9. audiofx2

audiofx2 Well-Known Member

Those appear to be the inside IPs on your personal network. When connected to Sprint (Evo), your phone cannot see your personal network.

Go to this website from your computer What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more...

and use that IP address.

If you have your port forwarding to the correct computer this should work. Also you will also have to disable/open ports on any software firewalls on your computer.

10. Jensen

Jensen Well-Known Member

It should work fine on Wifi though.

11. audiofx2

audiofx2 Well-Known Member

Yes, you will also not have to forward ports on Wifi.

I just installed UltraVNC to my Windows 7 64 bit computer and connected using androidVNC. Although I got the first screenshot on my Evo and could control the mouse, when I tried to scroll to a different part of the screen, the Evo screen turned neon green and that was the end of it.

My Windows 7 resolution is 1680X1050 so I may have to scale that back some.

I connected over Wifi and had to disable my Windows firewall on the home network.