• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Remote printing with a twist

Mjobie12

Lurker
Jan 5, 2011
Is it possible to print (documents, pdfs, pictures, gmail, etc) remotely via android phone to a networked printer? I have seen a few apps that do this but I am looking for a way to remotely print over the internet or by ip address without having a computer turned on. So, direct printing (no wifi or bluetooth) through a networked printer without going through a pc.

I have a network with a router. My printer is an HP Officejet 7310 which I understand it to have a print server built in (it has a network port). I also have a Netgear Print Server PS101. I know it is possible to do a remote connection through a desktop, but is it possible to bypass the computer and access just the printer on the network?

Upvote 0
I've tried using printershare. It will only allow the option to print when a computer is turned on connected to the same network. If the computer is shut off, no printing occurs. As soon as the computer with the printershare desktop software is turned on, it starts printing.

Explain to me how you are able to print without having your computer on.

Upvote 0
mrspeedmaster is correct. I am using the paid version. My printer, a Brother 2170W has wireless capabilities so I set it up on the network. The router assigns it a IP address. Now I connect my phone to the same network and run printershare. In printershare's menu you select "Nearby Printers." It should see your wireless printer. Select it, pick a document to print and fire away. Works like a champ. I didn't think about this being restricted to the paid version but it makes sense. Sorry about that.

Upvote 0
I think one could look at printing 3 ways.

One would involve what I'd call direct printing. There may be wi-fi involved but the basic idea is the app communicates directly with the printer. I'd think the sheer number of printers and drivers makes this difficult unless one has a postscript or pcl printer (where a solution like Let's Print Droid may work) outside proprietary apps, eg. Epson's own print solution.

The second involves using existing print server solutions such as ipp and cups. In these cases, drivers need not be an issue as it is the server that handles this. This approach may work for those with existing (or perhaps planning on) LANs with existing print sharing services but is possibly a step further than "your average user" wants to go.

I'd suggest the third is using cloud services such as Google print where you give your document to a 3rd party. Probably fine for many and again can overcome the possible problems with the first solution. The question marks are really whether you want to be (or perhaps in some cases even can legally) be transmitting your documents in this way.

No really right or wrong way but really different approaches and methods for different people and needs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones