Remote Shutdown App

Last Updated:

1. tsunamikitsune

tsunamikitsune Active Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, this is really simple (I would think, anyway). I already asked for something like this on the Applications board, but everyone just recommended me VNC apps that aren't really what I was looking for.

I'd like an app that shuts my computer down remotely. Much like the Wake On LAN app I already have, but instead of sending a magic packet to wake the computer, it would send a command to windows that shuts the computer off.

Am I crazy for wanting something like this? Maybe nobody else has had a use for something like this yet, but I feel like it would be really helpful. The VNC apps are kind of finicky and hard to navigate, so I don't want to use those. It would be nice, however, to be able to shut my computer down remotely when, say, I leave for vacation and forget to turn it off. Or when my torrents finish and I no longer need it to run.

If some kind soul out there could make something like this for me, it would be greatly appreciated. If I had any idea where to start with developing for Android, I'd take a swing at it myself, but I don't remember much from the few programming classes I've taken. D:

Advertisement
  2. LordQuackstar

LordQuackstar Member

Windows only I assume? Unfortunately, I'm going to have to reiterate here that VNC is the best solution. Unless someone has managed to port to Java Microsofts PPTP protocol, I don't think its possible.

Unless your willing to run a separate small server service on your computer, keep track of your IP address, then kill it from your Android... but that seems like an impossibly small market.

3. johansonson

johansonson New Member

I have been searching for a decent app to do this with minimal setup. VNC is a pain and a bit bulky. Finally found an app called PowerPanel on the market. You do have to install a small server on your desktop but it does not require any IP address entry, it just finds the computer.

4. jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980 Well-Known Member

I have an app on my iPod that let's me shutdown my Windows desktop (no extra software required on my desktop). I use a WOL app on my Droid and iPod. But it would be nice to be able to remote shutdown my desktop from the Droid too.

What would be really awesome is if I could tie a WOL script into my Droid's alarm clock.