Remotely brick my phone?Support

1. avpx

avpx New Member

Hey everyone. I own a brand new galaxy s3.
    I have prey app installed (preyproject) which is anti theft app. Still, is it possible to brick my phone remotely if its stolen?
    Any way that the cellolar company or samsung or android OS can harm the phone after its stolen so the thief cannot use it, or only wipe the data?

thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

You cannot remotely truly brick a phone, but your carrier can permanently disable it via the IMEI identification number.

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0
  3. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

Welcome to Android Forums.

I moved your quesion to your phone's forum.

... Thom
  4. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Crash is correct, you carrier can make it so that the phone can't connect to their towers by blacklisting the IMEI or ESN depending on what your carrier uses.
    This doesn't prevent them from access the stuff on the phone hard drive though. Also, if you have Google wallet installed, you can remote brick your secure element on the device to prevent the thief from using your account to make purchases.
  5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

Samsung dive that comes with some s3's (some us carriers removed it) can remote wipe. Same as wavesecure.... its good to be able to remote wipe. Do this before an IMEI block as that will stop the phone being able to receive wipe requests
  6. jessOTR

jessOTR Active Member

I'm using Andriod Lost. I've only used it to find my phone in my house or the car, but you can wipe the phone and SD card with it, send the phone pop-up messages, turn on or off GPS, data, WiFi, etc.