Removal of camera from Sprint HTC Hero

Last Updated:

1. jaxsoccer24

jaxsoccer24 Member This Topic's Starter

Fellow users,

I'm sure there are users out there that work in/for the military or companies that forbid possession of camera phones. I did some searching and couldn't find any threads on any sites that talked about DIY on how to remove the camera from the Sprint HTC Hero (found one on here for the UK Hero).

I decided to take a whack at it tonite and remove the camera on my own. The process is much more simply than that of the UK Hero.

Let me know if you have any questions. I decided not to post any pictures because the process is super simple.

1. Remove the back cover.
    2. Remove the battery and SD card.
    3. Remove the torx screws from each of the 4 corners (4 total screws)
    4. Remove the back half of the plastic cover from the phone. This is the only tricky part to the process. Using a SMALL precision flat head screw driver, gently pry apart the cover. I found success by starting on the upper portion of the cover opposite of the volume rocker. I gently pried up and around the phone until just past the volume rocker. At this point, I encountered some resistance. I gently pulled at the plastic on opposite sides of the phone until the plastic case came off. I think patience and extreme caution are key here. It WILL pop off though.
    5. The camera obviously sits inside a bracket at the top of the phone. I inserted the same flat head screw driver down between the bracket and the camera lens and gently worked up and around the camera. With minimal effort, the camera lifted out.
    6. Reassemble.

That's it! I put a piece of electrical tape over the bracket just for good measure. The back cover of the phone has clear plastic where the lens is, so I'm not worried about anything getting into the phone.

Cheers!

Advertisement
  2. doanius

doanius Active Member

poor poor people who has to work in a company that restrict a camera phone but I guess I can understand why. my heart goes out to you all...

3. jaxsoccer24

jaxsoccer24 Member This Topic's Starter

I'm in the military... goes with the territory I guess.

4. rickray

rickray New Member

what did you do about the back cover where it says "5.0 Megapixel Camera"?

5. kassdog

kassdog Well-Known Member

Sand it down?

6. VoXHTC

VoXHTC Well-Known Member

A Go Phone from AT&T would have done just as well if you can't have a camera. Plus it would have saved you a couple hundred bucks on phone you can really use fully. I don't know, maybe I don't get it. I'm a pesky civilian.

7. rickray

rickray New Member

For me, I would want to be able to use the device all day while I'm at work. A gophone would obviously limit one's ability to manage things like calendars, networking apps, and what not during the day. Plus it would be nice to have a great smartphone at one's disposal anytime since it usually is a major investment.

8. big_z

big_z Well-Known Member

I'm surprised they care about the camera but not the phone part. I hate it when I have to go do some work on post; the building they send me to is like a prison. No cell phones, no iPods, no thumb drives, no nothing. Sometimes I wonder when they're going to ban car keyless entry fobs.

9. Guido

Guido Member

I occasionally service X-ray machines in a prison, and they prohibit ipods, thumb drives, cell phones AND keyless entry keyfobs. If you have a keyless entry that's integrated with the key, you must check it in at the gate and they will secure it and give you a key. Furthermore the scrutinize every piece of equipment and tools I bring in. In fact ANY trash I generate i.e. tech wipes or paper etc. must be accounted for when checking out. The check-in/check-out process takes nearly 1.5 hours (which is billable!)