Remove all traces of root

Last Updated:

1. RunningOnEmpty

RunningOnEmpty Active Member This Topic's Starter

I want to switch from DroidMod to Cyanogen, but start on a clean slate. I want to be sure that SU, root, busybox, and everything else included with initial rooting will be completely gone from my phone. It's my understanding that doing a factory reset will not accomplish any of these for me.

Any help would be great, also do I have to worry about my overclock settings. Ideally I would hope that the processor will return to a normal clock setting when root is removed. Is this true?

Advertisement
  2. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Since your on droidmod, this easiest thing that I can think of for you to do to get back to stock is use the dmupdater to flash the 2.01 stock Rom.
    But if you are gonna use the Rom manager to flash the cyans rom, then if I ain't mistaken, it asks you if you want to do a data wipe before you flash it. The only reason you would want to lose root, is if you wanted to take the ota update. I have flashed many new roms and never had to unroot for any of em. Oh and yeah, your processor should go back to factory settings. If I missed anything or told something wrong, please feel free to correct me.... But hope this helps.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

If you just want to switch from DM to Cyanogen you don't need to worry about removing root and all that other hoopla. Just download ROM Manager and let it install Clock Recovery then download the newest Cyanogen MOD ROM, then reboot into recovery and under the partition menu hit format SYSTEM:, CACHE:, DATA:, and BOOT:. To be safe you can do it 3 times for each one. Now you can naivgate back to install ROM from sd card and find the ROM OR just reboot and re download ROM Manager since you will be on a clean slate and then use it to install the Cyanogen ROM, make sure you click the box for Google Apps when DL'ing the ROM. Also do a data and cache wipe when it asks you.

4. RunningOnEmpty

RunningOnEmpty Active Member This Topic's Starter

So doing a data and cache wipe won't hurt my applications right? And I actually did try using DMupdater to flash back to 2.0.1 and it removed my ability to use voice search anywhere on the phone :(

Then I tried using rom manager to flash the ClockworkMod recovery but it doesnt stay installed. Every time I want to use it I must reflash it. I ended up having to flash SPrecovery and install CyanogenMod as an update.zip which didn't really work. I have no SU permissions for some reason so I assume it's because I dont have root anymore, even though I used DMupdater to root after flashing back to 2.0.1, I just didn't install the DM rom.

And most of my apps just disappeared with the Cyanogen ROM. My youtube widget is gone, voice search is still gone, Carhome, Facebook, Market, and a few others have gone missing as well...

I'm considering just using RSD lite and flashing the stock 2.0.1 then install pete's 2.1 rooted .sbf and just pulling all the features I want from various ROM's and making a hybrid setup. Will using RSD lite erase my apps?

Thanks for your help so far guys